Next Thread
Print Thread
#216152 Tue Nov 30 2010 10:14 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
First off, IF I insulted pasngas on my DROP OF OIL books, I sincerely apologize. I asked him if he "was sure he wanted them". Looking back, this may have seemed I doubted his word. This started with the fiasco I went through on selling my maps a few days ago. Many maps are/were sold but to tell the truth, I don't know if any money is coming or not. A seller can not offer an item to a 2nd interested party because the money may be coming. One just doesn't know for sure. The communications stopped after "I'll take it". This prompts me to comment on "communication". Unlike eBay where there is negative feedback and other venues to solve problems, eBay also let one know if an item has been paid for or shipped. On this site, it's my word against yours. 99.9% of Oldgas transactions go down smoothly but a little more communication will go a long way. If I sell, I let the buyer know it has been shipped. If buying, I let them know the money is sent. This is especially crucial if PayPal is not involved in a transaction. I'm just asking for everyone to be a little more considerate and communicate. Most of our words are "good" but just a simple sentence via email or PMs will keep a transaction up to date and there will be less worry for the seller and buyer. Thanks.

Last edited by Gary Drye; Tue Nov 30 2010 10:23 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Gary Drye #216166 Tue Nov 30 2010 01:27 PM
Online Cool
So true, Gary.
If only we all would send a message to let the other person know what is going on, a lot of doubts and misunderstandings would never happen.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #216175 Tue Nov 30 2010 01:49 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Communication is my big week spot in my business. I know the customers really like good comunication but it's a hard one for me to do.
thanks for the reminder!!

hillsideshortleg #216274 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:34 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I read this tonight after work and want Gary and everyone to rest assured i took no offense when Gary asked if I was sure I wanted the books, I never even gave it a second thought and was assuming he was just following up my e-mail in case of other prospective buyers. I to have been in the boat on people answering my posts and saying they'll take something and it seems to stop other interested parties from contacting you and then the person backs out. I myself havn't followed up on an item on here when someone states they want it. My advice is---if your not 100% sure you want the item at the price stated don't say you'll take it and then take time to figure out if you want it for sure and at what price you'll offer -- instead put in the comments that you sent a inquiry or want additional info this keeps lines open for other people to communicate on the item until an offer is accepted. No hard feeling here with anyone i've dealt with--- Laroy

pasngas #216338 Wed Dec 01 2010 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree 100% on all the above comments. Had a similar situation happen early this year where someone on here said he "would take it" if he sold something else on ebay. Well he did, and then 2 months later backed out. I aired my frustrations to him like a man, face to face, at Iowa. Since the guy was relitively new to the hobby and I don't know if he knew proper protocall, gave him the benifit of the dought. I did explain how mad I was as was the other party I represented, and he apoligized. I respect him for that and hope I don't here about any more of that happening to anyone else. Like Gary said, if you want it, STEP UP, if you don't back away and say NO. DON'T LEAVE PEOPLE HANGING. All was resolved in mine case and I don't harbor bad feelings, but I did learn a lesson on communication for sure. I ask DIRECT questions from now on about if it is sold and if the money is coming.

roger cherry #216441 Wed Dec 01 2010 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Roger,
Something similar happened to me.
A few years ago I listed an item for sale on this site. It was at a time when business was slow and the extra money would have helped out. I priced the item to sell quickly. Someone sent an email saying they would take it and asked for my address. Three other guys emailed saying they would take it. I knew the first guy pretty well and never thought there would be an issue with payment. I sent him an email with my address so he could mail a check. I emailed the other three buyers back and told them the item was sold. The "buyer" emailed me and explained that he had been buying allot of stuff lately and was out of money, and said he'd pay me after Christmas. I wasn't happy about it but I told him OK. If he had said from the start that he needed payment terms I probably would have accommodated him anyway, but he should have said so from the start. Christmas comes and goes no payment. I email the guy. No reply. A couple more months go by and still no payment but the guy finally replied to one of my emails. Says he doesn't want the item after all! Says he can't afford it. I'm thinking I turned down 3 chances to sell the item and now this bozo backs out! I take a more direct approach about payment now.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #216464 Wed Dec 01 2010 05:59 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
A person is only as good as there word.A deal is a deal.Pay up.If you agree to buy something you should have done your homework before you made the deal.There are circumstances where there are misunderstandings,misrepresentations,etc.and they can usually be worked out with COMMUNICATION.To just leave the seller hanging wondering if the payment has been sent for any extended period of time is not right.I think we have all had buyers remorse at some time or another but that is not an excuse not to pay.Another thing I have had happen numerous times is people asking for pictures of items they are interested in.After spending a considerable amount of time to move things around to get pictures you never hear another word from the person.A reply is always appreciated.COMMUNICATION.Good post. Hope you all have a great week.Mark

MARK SMITH #216476 Wed Dec 01 2010 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, I recently contacted a member of this site in regards to a post he had made about items he was wanting to buy. He wasn't sure but wanted more info. Fair enough. So I dug the item out of the shed and sent a picture. Never got a response. If he didn't want it fine, just say so.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved