Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
A big "Thank You" goes out to both of you, Larry and Loyd! smile

I will draw out the post with a computer drafting program and use the dimensions that you fellows have posted. I am sure that this information will fit the bill for what I am looking for. I will let you know when I have my drawing done.

Thank you for the welcome, Loyd. Yes, this site does seem to have a warm feel to it. Lots of nice people willing to share, that is one thing that makes you want to come back to this site over and over again.

Best regards,

Chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello again everyone,

After viewing some photos on the internet of Texaco sign posts, I have a question about the top of the post, specifically about the "wings" that stick out on either side at the top. Are the faces of the wings flush with the front face of the tapered post? Or, since the wings appear to be separate pieces that were welded on to the post, are the faces of the wings "square"? Please see my sketch for what I mean by square.

After I get the post figured out, I will have to ask about the hoop section to find out how the actual sign is mounted in the hoop.

Best regards,

Chris

tex003.jpg
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
CHRIS flush with post on the one I was measureing off of. I no expert. Ask PoleSignkid he has more experince with this. I don't know if it was correct org. our not. You can see welds on ground,where it's put together. Once stood up all 4 sides would look like one piece,and taper down to sign ring width.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Feb 09 2011 11:34 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hi Chris. The main pole itself actually goes to the ring which is 73 1/4" outside dimension and the inside dimension is 72 1/4" to fit the 72" diameter sign. What you call wings flush with face of post is actually a sub-assembly that consist of two gussets that are 3 1/2" x 9 1/2". The end plate is 3 1/2" x 23 1/2" long. At one end it is bent at 3 1/2" which makes the very end of it 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". It is a separate piece welded on to the side of the main post.

C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello Larry,

Thank you for the additional information. I believe that if I follow you correctly, the sketch below should reflect what the wings look like.

Additionally, since the outside dimension of the ring is 73 1/4" and the inside dimension is 72 1/4", I would presume that the ring itself is 1/2" thick. (O.D. - I.D)/2 = 1/2". Also, based on photos that I have seen, can I assume that the ring is the same width as the top of the wings or post? That is 3 1/2".

That should be about it for info that I was looking for.

I will post a drawing of the post when I have it drawn up.

Cheers,

Chris

texacopost003.jpg
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Good job, Chris. You have it right. I am looking forward to seeing the final drawing. Glad I was able to help. Larry

C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone,

Here is a sketch that I made up of the Texaco post using information that other forum members have supplied as well as info from the Texaco drawing that appears earlier in this post. Some dimensions are not exactly the same as what was posted, due to rounding of numbers, discrepancies that show up when drawn with a computer drafting program, and information that I scaled from the original Texaco drawing, such as the bottom 3/4" plate. I believe that the sketch is a reasonable representation of the Texaco post. I do know that it is not 100% accurate, as it was never meant to be. I have also shown the concrete pedestal, at least the top 6" of it, as most of it was in the ground, and also the cover for the mounting studs. I believe the cover was actually two pieces, but I have shown it as one piece.

Click on the thumbnail to see a larger version.

Chris

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved