Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Against my better judgement I will reply.

First, my answer was not eloquent (I usually write quick short replies, not essays) and I apologize if I offended you and your items. I assumed you were looking for info for a possible purchase of the items. I had seen another photo of the clock in a different post. I did not think these were already your items.

I never said the Shell sign wasn't real, just wondered about the holes on a flange sign.

As for the clock, without seeing better photos I can't tell what it is.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
KZ, I have seen flange signs that were screwed or nailed flat to a wall, but usually haphazard and not at 12, 3, 6, and 9. Some had flange intact, some bent flat, some cut off.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
KZ1000 #238986 Mon Mar 07 2011 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't met a collector, who would purposely lower the value of an original sign by drilling holes in it, so far. Especially when the flange was still attached.

Kind of defeats the purpose of collecting, if one is going to "mangle" the item(s) they have collected, don't 'cha think?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
No Bob, I meant they were put up that way "back in the day".

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Looks to me like someone somewhere down the line and certainly NOT a collector had added the holes as they don't look very uniform to me.
The bottom hole looks to be a little to the right of 6' and the right side hole looks a little to high up to be at the 3'.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks to me like someone Nailed/Screwed the sign to a wall causing paint loss at each hole. ????? I don't know what else to say Bob. Except, I am sure they were not there from the factory

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
M
M
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
I haven't met a collector, who would purposely lower the value of an original sign by drilling holes in it, so far. Especially when the flange was still attached.

Kind of defeats the purpose of collecting, if one is going to "mangle" the item(s) they have collected, don't 'cha think?

Just an FYI, not eveyone is a collector of old signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe any flange signs were hung in a station that way (flat). In early gas stations space was at a premium, to take up the wall space by hanging a flange sign flat instead of using the flange. Nope...

Especially not in a Shell Station, where everything was laid out in the service agreement between the lessee and the company. (I have an original Shell station agreement hanging over my desk here, it is from 1929)

In it, is how the station will operate and how it will look. Shell, like almost every major Oil Company, wanted each station to look and operate the same. One should be able to travel all over the US and pull into a station, a station where the service and atmosphere should be almost identical to the station in one's home town.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would venture a guess that %25 of all flange signs were mounted flat to the wall sometime in their life

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
We are getting off track here. Extra holes are a factor in determining value, but let's not beat it into the ground.

It appears that Magneto doesn't appreciate the comments he has been getting. Doubtful he's even listening any more.

Stay on the topic of value!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #239024 Mon Mar 07 2011 07:21 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I found a Bell phone and Gulf flange, that had other signs mounted to them. They drilled holes in them to mount other signs, when they changed brands at the business.

M
Magneto Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
"I can't believe any flange signs were hung in a station that way (flat). In early gas stations space was at a premium, to take up the wall space by hanging a flange sign flat instead of using the flange. Nope...

Especially not in a Shell Station, where everything was laid out in the service agreement between the lessee and the company. (I have an original Shell station agreement hanging over my desk here, it is from 1929)"

Never said a thing about me getting The Shell sign from a station!!
Bob go back and read it again!!Said I got the Sinclair Clock
from the station!!

Guess All you Veteran Collectors Have Never Seen a 42" Porcelain
sign made into an outdoor picnic table, used as something
to mix cement on,cover a well, etc,etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's my opinion also, another sign[s] were screwed/bolted over the round part.

Magneto #239236 Tue Mar 08 2011 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sign looks right to me, very early, I'd guess $250 but I'm not a Shell collector. I've owned lots of sign that were drilled, bent and abused for one reason or another. People seemed to more creative back in the day, the depression fueled the first recycling craze. I lived on a farm in my early 20's and the guy cut up a 28 Studebaker and patched all kinds of stuff with it. The entire car was still on the farm but in at least 50 different locations. Who knows why your sign was drilled but I'm sure it was for a very good reason, at least at the time

M
Magneto Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thank You Neil, finally got an answer. Knew it was early,never
seen this one before,that's why I overpaid for it. Just was
wondering the way the market is right now,if any veteran collectors
might have an idea of value.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas