Next Thread
Print Thread
#241138 Wed Mar 16 2011 04:44 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Have any of you pump guys had good luck selling a pump at local car shows? Or do you use craig's list. Open to your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
DasFast1 #241147 Wed Mar 16 2011 05:16 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I would be interested in knowing this also. There are no Petrol meets around here but there are a couple large car shows. I talked to some people involved in the car shows to see if they thought there would be any interest in starting a petrol meet and the response was lukewarm at best, so I gave up on it. I thought it would be a good match, but guess I am wrong.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #241148 Wed Mar 16 2011 05:18 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
In my experience of setting up at car shows all you get are lookers. They like to tell you their story of how they bought the same pump for $50 and painted it and that you are way too high for yours. They restore cars, you would think they would know the amount of work that goes into this.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've sold a few "newer" G&B Trimlines at car shows. Just the nature of these pumps ensures that there was no "sticker shock", when I offered them for sale. Plus, an early 60's styled pump really catches the attention of the "muscle car crowd".

I've been at a couple shows where restored/refurbished pumps have been offered, but as Phil noted "a lot of tire kickers" but no one opening a wallet.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Doing some shows gets you out there if you are so inclined. If you have stuff that you would like to sell, it may not work the first time but over time your name and location will get around. They will be back to either ask or maybe buy. Craig's list gets alot of lookers and lowballers. High price shows and swap meets lets you meet the higher end market and possibly make a connection of an item that someone may be looking for. Just because you have a pump, some one will not stop asking for another item, coke, sign, or other product.
Yes some of the stories get real old, but that one long talker may have a friend that needs your service.
Just a thought.

Craig
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I used to put mine in better antique stores or malls. Have never had an owner say no to something that's a definite draw and 20-25%. All have sold through them as well, but that was 20 years ago.

Biggest problem I had was lot of people touching and ultimately scratching the pumps. Worked through that by zip tying the nozzles and asking the owners to place it close to the check outs.

bppierce #241226 Wed Mar 16 2011 11:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I bought one of my first pumps at Iola, The guy was set up with a bunch of pumps but not what I wanted. Asked him if he had any clockfaces and told me he had some at home. He called his wife and told her the price and she helped me load it in the trunk and back seat of my 84 Buick. Thunderbird Acres or something like that. You guys from Wisconsin probably know him had a lot of pumps. MItch

67Chev4X4 #241237 Thu Mar 17 2011 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used to set up at automotive swap meets. There were some guys that would set up a couple times a year that sold restored pumps. They sold allot of pumps but their prices were very reasonable. I got talking to them and found out they traveled to allot of shows. They said they didn't like to set up in the same area more than twice a year. I know they sold eight restored pumps at one show.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #241238 Thu Mar 17 2011 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
$1200. amature restorations will sell great at the car shows, those selling the same pump but "Museum Quality" for $3000. will bring them home.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #241241 Thu Mar 17 2011 05:08 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
depends on the show. my buddy tom sold a ms/80 i painted .at the frankemuth show a big show that pulls people from all over . for 2500.00 $ and a gas boy for big money .

67Chev4X4 #241243 Thu Mar 17 2011 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 67Chev4X4
I bought one of my first pumps at Iola, The guy was set up with a bunch of pumps but not what I wanted. Asked him if he had any clockfaces and told me he had some at home. He called his wife and told her the price and she helped me load it in the trunk and back seat of my 84 Buick. Thunderbird Acres or something like that. You guys from Wisconsin probably know him had a lot of pumps. MItch

That would be Stu. He got out of pumps about three years ago. Sold everything. He had about 400 at one time, but he picked them all up when they had to pull all the tanks around here. Most for $10-$25-$50 or each. Sold most of his 150+ T-birds too.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
dice. #241244 Thu Mar 17 2011 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On a related note,I recently brought my unrestored,complete Wayne 511 blender to my local towns weekly summmer cruise in.I take my car there weekly,but thought a vintage gas pump would be a nice change of pace for everyone to see.I could see weekly, there are many in attendance there that have never seen a gas pump without LED.The antique/muscle cars are always given priority one to park on Main St.,then all the stores are open for dinner & what not,till 11PM.The whole town benefits from the weekly surge of business.I picked a spot by the curb where I usually park my car,& plugged it into a local stores outlet,(with their permission of course),to light up the pump as night fell.People couldn't stop looking at it and talking about it.Lil kids were completely drawn to it with their parents in tow.The dusk sunset upon it was very ominus to me,while it's flourescent lights glowed.The pump wasn't for sale,and although much harder to bring & set up then a car,I would do it again.I had 6 queries of interest attached to the pump by 9PM,all asking if it was for sale & to contact them,but I threw them away later on.
Maybe it depends on the town & it's people,but I would think if one had a pump to sell,this too might be a good avenue for them to solict at.

KZ1000 #241245 Thu Mar 17 2011 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
$1200. amature restorations will sell great at the car shows, those selling the same pump but "Museum Quality" for $3000. will bring them home.

You hit it right on the head. Painted over dents and low prices still sell at swap meets. Keep the good stuff at home.
Even though Ebay knocks your head off, it is stil the best place to reach the most people. You justahve to set the price to cover that cost and hope for the best.
JMO

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Old Racer #241255 Thu Mar 17 2011 06:46 AM
L
L
I would think that car shows/swap meets would be a good place to get your name out there. Someone might not buy on the spot the first time, but may take your information for when he is ready. Personally, I think the two hobbies go hand-in-hand many times. As people create garage-mahals for their show cars, they want to decorate the space with vintage items from the car's era. And yes, I have to admit, that is exactly how I got recently involved in this hobby!

lv2xlr8 #241396 Thu Mar 17 2011 11:58 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Old Racer his name was Stu. He and his wife were two of the nicest people I have ever done business with at swap meets. Mitch

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved