Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
[quote=fins n vtwins]
Earl, oops wrong forum. Mike, The problem I have with restored signs is that there are some very good restorations being done that are practically impossible to tell they have been restored. Sooner or later someone is going to get screwed.

Touched up doesn't mean a sign has to look crappy. I've touched up a few signs that looked very presentable, but on close inspection it was easy to tell they had been touched up.

If I had a really rare sign that had allot of damage I'd probably just touch it up or enjoy it as is.

What would you do Mike?

Bob, I don't know what to do--hence the query. I knew it's rarity the second I found it, and even started the touch-up process....but figured it deserved more. Nobody would disagree that a pretty sign is more desirable than a roached example---after all, their visual appeal is why we buy 'em, right? Also,I have yet to see a "restored" sign(in the purity of the word)that I couldn't tell had been fixed(but I'm in the paint business, so..)---they're all too...perfect.Even NOS porcelain signs still have a look of imperfection that isn't easily duplicated, if at all possible. For me, that blows up the argument of future misrepresentation.
I was just wondering how feelings would apply in the case rarity. Thanks everyone.
smile

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I like the response from Bob R. Great insights - all makes sense. Why is there such adversity against signs that have been altered, reconditioned? Simple - too many people have been burnt in the past from buying (for big $) a repopped sign/item - or one that has been faked, modified, etc. So there is a great disregard for all which is not original and value is considered low on unoriginal. Now according to Bob R. analysis what is acceptable? Probably more acceptable if sign was altered (back in the day) and then reused at the station or business where meant to be - say at least 40-70 yrs ago. Modify it today - foget bout it.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I still contend there is a place for rare signs with great graphics to be restored for some collectors. The sign that would be 10-15k if mint original. If a guy can pick up a rough one up, put a reasonable sum into a nice restoration of one side to enjoy a sign he would otherwise never have?? I say it's up to the collector - who are we to say what's "right" and what's not??? Not arguing that they won't have high resale value like an original does, but if you like it and want to enjoy it without the holes and rust - I say go for it..... my 2 cents. thanks

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Layne Christensen was one who had done my Conoco, it was so beautiful the job that is why I did the trade.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Signs&Neons
I still contend there is a place for rare signs with great graphics to be restored for some collectors. The sign that would be 10-15k if mint original. If a guy can pick up a rough one up, put a reasonable sum into a nice restoration of one side to enjoy a sign he would otherwise never have?? I say it's up to the collector - who are we to say what's "right" and what's not??? Not arguing that they won't have high resale value like an original does, but if you like it and want to enjoy it without the holes and rust - I say go for it..... my 2 cents. thanks

i agree totally & will take it a bit further to not just rare high dollar signs but all signs in general. first we need to face the fact that there is dishonesty in every niche & we won't be able to stop the corrupt from trying. it's up to the buyer to make the decision on what they want & be educated enough to know what is original & what has been restored. i personally like to restore the signs & stuff that i display for a better "visual experience" (this really applies to inside the house items that the mrs. has a say-so in)

perfect example, this old zeno gum vendor i bought years ago for a few bucks at a flea market. i got it cheap due to the condition which suited my budget. as is, the mrs. wouldn't let it anywhere near the house. i restored it & it went in the house with no fuss & i have a nice displayable item that gets comments from everyone. here's a before/after:

before:

after:

i guess what i'm trying to say is that for me personally, i wouldn't have the expendable income to hold out for years to find the "mint original" zeno machine & am just as happy with this one that i have less than $50 plus my time & labor in. i'll never be able to drop $10k on a single sign, but by restoring them myself, will have a bunch on display for that $10k total. i guess it boils down to what you are happy with & what you can afford...

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: sellersrodshop

perfect example, this old zeno gum vendor i bought years ago for a few bucks at a flea market.

WOW!!!! Gorgeous! Please tell me you didn't find that at the Cedars of Lebanon flea market..... crazy hahaha!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You've made a couple of good points But remember a few years back when repros were not a problem. Beautifully Restored signs WILL be trouble years down the road when they change hands. We can do our part now.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I hope everyone has taken their high blood pressure medicine!!! In reading thru the post one thing stands out "honesty" so many have been ripped off by dishonest people passing off repaired items as mint or repops as old. I my self probably will not own a high dollar sign, unless it's cheap! and probably will never spend much money to restore a sign. But I do see the talent in the original artwork and the person who can restore it. We are only the care takers of the stuff for a short time so enjoy while you can! Take care! tt

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
The sign in question belongs to me. If ANYbody, even a novice did any research at all, say try looking in the Worlds Expert on Oilzum, Amastadi's Book, you would realize their is no way on Gods green earth you could touch a late 20's, early 30's OILZUM sign of any kind for $1500. If you refuse to educate yourself and avail yourself of reference material that is everywhere, you going to be mislead on everything you purchase in life, whether it be cars, signs, house, property, etc. I restored the signs for MY enjoyment to hang up and admire the restorers work. I could enjoy them a hell of alot more if I didn't have $xxxx's in them.
I am not misrepresenting what they are and even noted who restored them. Most of the signs I restored, you "purist" would turn your nose up and call them barn hangers. Some are so rare a sign in any condition is worth being made "displayable". Bob has it right, intolerance of others likes and dislikes are going to kill your hobby. I say "your hobby" because this is one of the major reasons I left it.

Larry Ivy
Chandler, AZ

Last edited by LarryIvy; Fri Sep 23 2011 08:38 PM.

larry ivy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry your Oilzum sign is fantastic looking! I wish I had the money to ensure it came to my home. First item I ever collected was/is a Oilzum can, after close to 50 years... still have that can.

I for one, am truly sorry to hear/read that you are leaving the hobby. It is disheartening to hear and read that more and more collectors are walking away from the hobby. With the loss of each collector, whether novice or experienced, a bit of history is subtracted from this hobby that I love so much.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
won't be long before someone restores an artificially aged repop, then we're really in trouble

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bet it already has happened. That's too funny!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that buyers need to educate themselves. Topics like this help to educate buyers.

I saw a high end restored sign that was so well done that if fooled some of the most knowledgeable sign guys in the hobby. Thankfully the auction company was forthright about the sign's restoration. It was interesting watching these veteran dealers and collectors shake their heads in disbelief after inspecting the sign. There may be a time when a high quality restoration helps to bring the value up near the price of a mint original, but that day the restored sign was worth about a third of a mint original. Think of potential of an item like this in the hands of an unscrupulous seller.

I certainly don't have a problem with anyone restoring their signs for their own enjoyment....but PLEASE mark them in a way that future buyers will be able to tell they've been restored. The problems arise when a collector dies and his wife and kids have no interest in the collection. It's just stuff and they don't know or care if it's original, restored, or repro. They just want to turn it into cash. Chances are high that in a situation like this something is going to be misrepresented...if even unintentionally.

People collect signs for various reasons.... Some collect as an investment, for some it's the thrill of the hunt, some collect signs that are visually pleasing, and some collect to preserve history. All of these factions will have differing opinions and may come across as intolerant at times.
It's no different than the old car hobby where you have guys that are into traditional hot rods, others into street rods, and others that only like cars that are restored to original specs. About the only thing those guys have in common is they don't like rat rods!

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sat Sep 24 2011 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Well stated !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, Bob. Well said!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard