Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Let me tell the new collectors a little secret; A real collector will be MUCH more impressed with your collection if it is even 1 original good looking item, than a mansion of repops.

Not to pick on you in particular, but in my opinion a real collector does not care about impressing others.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think most of what has been said so far has been right on target. One of the biggest things i have seen change over the last couple of years is the lack of respect that is given sometimes to the veterens. When somebody makes a post and they dont get a quick reply or they dont hear what they want to hear they get very upset, and it appears that some just want quick answers with no research.
In regards to repos I think they do have a place in this hobby as long as they are dated and bought from a reputable dealer who did not steal the picture from oldgas. If i was restoring a gas pump to sell or set one outside my house I would have a repop globe on it, but since I dont i dont have any all mine are original. I beleive that many have quit posting pictures beacuse of what i just wrote somebody comes here copies the picture and then makes a sign out of it.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Ryan,Jim & Ohio Oil.....Right on,I'm pretty new to the hobby & not as knowledgable as most of you on this site.Thank goodness for the veterans of this hobby who have helped me out.Thanks!!!! My collection is a hodge podge of misc gas oil/service station stuff.Not trying to impress anybody.Just having a great time!!!!! Lorne

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, I don't KNOW or haven't met ONE Collector in almost 50 years in this hobby who doesn't like/want to show his/hers collection to other people especially other collectors.

If you can match that, go ahead and comment on what kind of collector I or anyone else is.

I made general comments that I believe are true. My comments are BASED on 46 years in THIS hobby, which I believe is approx 16 years longer than you have been on this earth.

You "tout" your website and are justly proud of it. What does one see when they go to the opening page? Photos of items in your collection, that you are "showing off".... What a hypocrite!!!!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe this is why beginners don't post much.How about knocking off the cat fight and see if some of the beginners that have spoken with me will post what I encouraged them to post.A little more of this and I don't think we will hear much more from those the post seemed to directed toward;positive discussions.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Subscribed.

I dont mind showing my stuff to anybody, but believe me... there is nobody I am trying to impress with my collection except myself. Period, end of story.

There is a big difference between sharing your collection and trying to impress people. Your earlier post clearly stated the latter and now your mad because you got called out on it.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Online Cool
Some of these posts are why people back off of posting here. Most people want their hobby activity to be enjoyable after spending time at a job, personal hassles or in traffic that is not enjoyable. To come here and read the same old cat fight and complaints is no fun.

Why can't we help the new guy, even if he asks the same question as some new guy has in the past?

Why can't we accept that not every person interested in this stuff thinks the same way we think he should?

If we want veterans to answer questions, they should be respected even if others disagree.

If we want new collectors to be around when us old collectors get ready to sell, we need to not run them off with snide comments and cat fights.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank You Jim! It's called "Live and Let Live"

Last edited by moore798; Tue Nov 08 2011 05:29 PM.

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Derailed. Does that answer your question Nelson?

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Wisdom consists of two parts 1) Having something to say, and 2) Knowing when to say it.

I don't post unless I have something to offer(well, most of the time blush ) I enjoy soaking up the knowledge of others who know WAAY more than me---that's the value I find in Oldgas.com.

I will say this.....'save the drama for your momma' and you'll be a lot happier visiting here. wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Jim, for the enjoyment of being able to post differing views.

I have tried to be an Ambassador to this hobby, before it was generally accepted as a hobby. I enjoy sharing what knowledge I have and I hope to live long enough to mentor my 6 year old nephews about some of the nuances pertaining to the hobby. I hope to help any one in the hobby whether new or experienced, for the foreseeable future . I also hope to get help and knowledge from the members of this site and in those in the hobby.

As to "cat fights", they happen in the real world... and I am thankful for the opportunity to voice my opinions... Of course that is exactly what they are.... my opinions. They are neither right nor wrong.... just opinions!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Listening to the veterans is the EXACT reason why there are not as many posts lately. So what if they (beginners) don’t look through hundreds of pages to find the answer before they asked it. Some of us actually like to talk with other collectors even if the question seems a bit green or already asked and answered. We all started with "stupid" questions, it's just part of the process.
I just hope people remember that their OPINION is just that and not the gospel.

Some people would rather go after quantity over quality to fill their garage.
Some would rather have that one killer sign
Some people don't care if their collection impresses anybody
Some only want to impress others
Some don't mind mixing in a few repops in their collection
Some think repops should be burned in the middle of Wrigley Field
Some don't mind putting a clock face on a Wayne 60
Some don’t even think they should be cleaned
Some people don't have the time to pick for a year for the special sign, but do have the $$$ to pay more than anybody else at auction.
Some people don't have the big bank roll, but can be proud of the collection they accumulated on a budget.

There’s all kinds out there, and that’s good. If you can’t add anything positive to a post, and I hope I'm doing that right now, consider going on to the next post

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really don't think this is about some guy asking a question. It's more about question after question after question and with a few clicks they can find there answers.
Many are "pickers" coming to find out prices to see if they can buy it and make a buck. Again nothing wrong with that but i personally had talked with many collectors at shows and hear the same thing that they are tired of the "what's this worth thread". It got so bad oldgas jim had to make a separate forum for it!

Guys buying a gas globe for there collection and has a question about what it is or worth i will gladly help! You just PM me and i will give you my number. Guys just wanting a price because it's coming up in an auction and you want to flip it... go to the auction and bid and learn a lesson!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I don't know I think members pulling one statement out of a well thought out and expressed post and dwelling on that one statement to the point that it gets everybody blowed up and puffey! The fact that it allways boils down to repos vs orginal. Newbie vs veteran. etc etc. In summary Jim Oldgas hit it on the head with his last post.
I come here to learn from other members and to enjoy the time spent here, as of late I just sail passed discussions such as this because I know the outcome no matter how sincere the topic starter was.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved