Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#303092 Tue Feb 07 2012 01:21 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I just saw where a member posted some items he had for sale on Ebay in the FOR SALE section. His post was moved to the On Line Auction section. This has happened to me, but I never said anything about it.

Let's look at this situration.

This is something he or I have for sale, but we have choose to mention it here, but it is on Ebay.

Here on Old Gas, if something sells, Jim gets nothing.

But, when I post things for sale here, I ask if any of you arem interested in anything, then please bid on the item through this site and Jim will get a commission.

What make this item for sale any different than a item posted in the FOR SALE section?

I have over 2200 items running on Ebay, and want everyone of you to bid on anything of them through this site to help support it, so, why make it hard for us that post things in the FOR SALE section just because it is on Ebay?

I have seen things posted that tell us an item is for sale on Craigs List, this is never moved.

I have items selling for almost $2000 on Ebay, this would be a nice commisssion for Jim if someone here on this site would purchase it (through this site, and if you don't know how to do this, I hope Jim will follow with an explanation of how to do this), it is a petro item, why put it in another catagory, it is a petro item for sale.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Feb 07 2012 01:25 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #303097 Tue Feb 07 2012 01:56 AM
From my point of view if you have stuff for sale via online auction then it belongs in the online auction section. You can't compare to Craigslist because buying that way involves a transaction with the seller directly, not an auction or "buy it now" that involves another entitiy (ebay). Either way you seem to get free plugs for things you are selling on ebay and that is hardly something to gripe about. Take this site for what it is, and I for one will applaud any support one cares to offer oldgas. Yay, happy thoughts, fun, oldgas!, collecting, wow, more fun please, discovery, goosebumps...... then.... "I HAVE A PROBLEM".... well so do I but you won't read it on here, don't be a Debbie Downer Mr. Sim

Finder #303098 Tue Feb 07 2012 02:04 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Been around since around 1985, my member number is 57, not 13166 and now I am tagged as a "Debbie Downer"????

While I didn't phrase it that way, all I was doing was making a suggestion, why does everyone try and read something out a post instead of reading it and asking themselves, what if that happened to me?

Sometimes I just don't know why I bother.

Jack

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Feb 07 2012 02:08 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #303103 Tue Feb 07 2012 04:42 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What if it happened to me.....HMMnnn I would think- huh I posted in the wrong forum..... Maybe what Old Gas needs is a DRAMA forum.
JM2c's
Member#11038
Jim

Garage-A-GoGo #303108 Tue Feb 07 2012 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
being a long time member and one of the first on oldgas have to do with posting ebay stuff in the wrong section? You have something for sale on ebay or anywhere on the internet then it belongs in the online forum. If you want your items for sale on oldgas then post them in the for sale section.
Jim has separated these for a reason.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Garage-A-GoGo #303112 Tue Feb 07 2012 06:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Garage-A-GoGo
Maybe what Old Gas needs is a DRAMA forum.

LOL

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Tue Feb 07 2012 06:19 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Garage-A-GoGo #303113 Tue Feb 07 2012 06:19 AM
When a moderator notices a topic posted in a forum category that they think belongs in a different category, they usually move it there without any drama in public or private. Sometimes the moderators don't notice it or don't think it's a significant difference and the topic stays where it is.

A topic was moved from For Sale to Online Auctions, eBay last night. We sincerely appreciate that the member who posted it included a short description of each item and the auction number. The net result is a good thing. Lots of viewers get to see eBay items in the eBay forum and Oldgas.com gets a referral commission if they copy/paste the number or words the search box at the bottom of the page and they win the auction.

We don't expect every member to go to eBay every time through our search box or "Right Now on eBay" links. Thanks to all who do it as often as they do, because that is the main thing that pays the bills here to keep this site humming along.

More about how our eBay program works is in our "Shop Talk Forum Help" forum:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138279#Post138279

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #303132 Tue Feb 07 2012 07:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The thing that I don't think is right is this: All the b+++++++++g about bad sellers and someone pointing out a random item they happened to see mixed in with the members for sale things to slog through!?

How would it go over to have that kind of postings cluttering up the regular For Sale section?

I suggest moving all the general chatter to the general discussion section!!!

A lot more traffic on the For Sale section because some come on here just to see what is available for sale. Wherever it may be. They don't want to read the "Is This Real?" or " This Crook Is Still Selling Junk" type posts so they skip that catagory.

Glance through the online section and try to tell whats for sale and whats general chatter. I always posted ebay items with a description,picture, and number only so they had to go through the site. (Lots of extra fooling around)You would think the best exposure would help the seller and this site both...much more likely to get bids through the site...kinda biting the hand that feeds to me.

Jack I'm with you on this one!

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Tue Feb 07 2012 08:18 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Mr.Wadhams #303166 Tue Feb 07 2012 10:10 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
WE SHOULD CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS SITE TO "AS THE VEEDER ROOT TURNS"....

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
POLESIGNKID #303168 Tue Feb 07 2012 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: POLESIGNKID
WE SHOULD CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS SITE TO "AS THE VEEDER ROOT TURNS"....

Gee, SOMEBODY here gets it correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An I thought only Model cars Magazine ha d problems ............ oh well............ Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #303190 Tue Feb 07 2012 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't be dissin' the ROOTS now y'all.
I'll have to cut-cha.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
POLESIGNKID #303201 Tue Feb 07 2012 01:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've always posted on the For Sale section some Ebay listings that I thought was of interest to those on here....such as the parts from a pump I was parting out....and the site gets something out of it.

I KNOW it gets better exposure in the Petro For Sale section...than in the Online jibber-jabber section that MANY don't look at. It's Petro For Sale in the Petro For Sale Section. No problems that I saw (or see).

I commented on Jacks post because he brought up something I have had on my mind lately while on this site. I don't take much stock in the posts that don't bring up any facts...just sarcastic comments.

Jack had an opinion and I believe it is totally valid or he would not have brought it up. And I would not have chimed in. frown

Jim

Last edited by Oldgas; Tue Feb 07 2012 08:14 PM. Reason: Edit to conform with forum guidelines
Mr.Wadhams #303226 Tue Feb 07 2012 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is quite a long thread for a simple solution. Follow the rules, If it is on ebay, it is NOT for sale here on the site and should not be putting stuff that members want to sell to the bottom of the list.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #303235 Tue Feb 07 2012 03:48 PM
M
M
Can you just see the post if we really had a section called "Debbie Downer / This is my last post"?

Madison Oil #303236 Tue Feb 07 2012 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Madison Oil
Can you just see the post if we really had a section called "Debbie Downer / This is my last post"?

Wow , that IS DRAMATIC !!!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved