Next Thread
Print Thread
#330907 Tue Jun 05 2012 02:43 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
... to post links to active ebay items in order to ask peoples opinions if they think the item is real or a repro? I'm new here and I don't want to insult anyone. I just am trying to learn. I notice sometimes on ebay that some pump plate signs either sell awfully cheap or they don't even get any attention at all. I'm thinking it's because the smart guys who actually buy these pieces do not even get involved in some of these auctions because they know their fake. Here is one example. I really liked this piece but shy-ed away when I saw no bids at all. Thinking someone knows something I don't. Does this look/seem fake to you guys?
P.S. I really think it is real but what the hell do I know!!

flying a.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Tue Jun 05 2012 02:44 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow! 40 people and not a word. Not even an opinion.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know there is a repro of this sign. Not sure if it's the same exact size as the orig but the placement and style of the grommets are usually a dead give away when seen side by side.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What size is it ?

Do you have a picture of the other side ?

I don't have one of those signs and my books are packed away so I can't compare it to an original at this time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
Wow! 40 people and not a word. Not even an opinion.

S L O W D O W N.
Look at the time it was posted.
Most us like to S, S & S and have a cup of coffee before booting up the computer!
Instead of posting a link, post the auction number.
Sometimes a Known Seller is guilty of selling lots of Fake/questionable stuff [2 of the worst are from Argentina & India].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i was one of the people that looked at your post....i have been member of this site for 6 years and feel i contribute when neccesary. most likely the other 39 are like me, they dont know squat about flying A or pump plates. welcome to oldgas

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
I think this is the one he is talking about ebay 160816768690. I too was interested if you guys thought it was authentic or not. Thanks Anthony

AntG #331118 Tue Jun 05 2012 07:38 PM
Online Cool
Sure, members can discuss eBay items as to their authenticity, value or the trustworthy status of the seller. We ask that there be no name-calling or personal attacks. As well as following the rest of the Membership Agreement and forum guidelines.

Since this site depends on advertising revenue to pay the bills, we ask that you post the auction number or title for the auction rather than a full link to the auction. Members know to copy the auction number or title and paste it into the eBay search box at the bottom of this page.

One of the big problems with all the unmarked reproduction items eating away at our hobby is that they cause doubt in buyer's minds about even legitimate original items. If I don't have good enough pictures or other evidence, I would not feel comfortable giving advice on certain signs as to their authenticity or value.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Sure, members can discuss eBay items as to their authenticity, value or the trustworthy status of the seller. We ask that there be no name-calling or personal attacks. As well as following the rest of the Membership Agreement and forum guidelines.
THANK YOU. EXACTLY THE TYPE OF INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR.

Since this site depends on advertising revenue to pay the bills, we ask that you post the auction number or title for the auction rather than a full link to the auction. Members know to copy the auction number or title and paste it into the eBay search box at the bottom of this page.
INTERESTING AND THANKS. I DID NOT SEE THAT BOX DOWN THERE. YOU LEARN SOMETHING EVERY DAY.

One of the big problems with all the unmarked reproduction items eating away at our hobby is that they cause doubt in buyer's minds about even legitimate original items. If I don't have good enough pictures or other evidence, I would not feel comfortable giving advice on certain signs as to their authenticity or value. UNDERSTOOD AND THANKS AGAIN. THERE ARE TWO THINGS THAT I'M FINDING THAT I DISLIKE ABOUT THIS HOBBY. 1)FIGHTING THROUGH REPRODUCTIONS. 2)TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHY COUNTRY FOKE FEEL THEY HAVE TO SHOOT NICE SIGNS FULL OF HOLES smile

P.S. not sure why that post time says 4 AM!! Wow!! I get up early but not quite that early. : )

Steve Coppens
Online Cool
The time shown on posts are set to US Central Time, not the time where the member may be.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved