Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I knew there must have been a reason I lucked out on a couple of Gilmore Items, Keep my eyes open, and it happened.

Today, going through a barn full of treasures I stumble upon a Perfect Gilmore battery cables sign, complete with hooks and the whole nine yards, a little over a foot wide and maybe a foot high, great shape!! I ask if he has anything else Gilmore, to my surprise: "Yes"

He proceeds to show me two great Gilmore quart cans in the rafters, some Gilmore Maps (amongst the box full of Grizzly, Signal and various other maps, and I mean a box!!) He then grabs another box full of thermometers!! Some of the stations I have never heard of!

He explains he knows their more stuff around if I am looking for Gilmore, it will take some time to go through it! I don’t know which way to proceed or what to offer, any suggestions please! This fellow is a friend and I wish to leave on good terms!!

Classic Car Community
http://www.oldride.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Your a good Man, I'd do the same. the battery cable rack =1,000.00. The cans 500.00 each, The maps, Gilmore 200.00 each. The Signals 35.00 to 75.00 each depending on witch ones. you did good. be fare and HTH. good luck.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

B
OP Offline
B
Wow! I hope I can convince him to take payments! You think the rack is worth that much? I am not questioning your expertise and I appreciate your feedback, just a little jaw-dropped is all!

Classic Car Community
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
It's like anything else Blake, They may have in those days at different types of stations having 2 pumps 3, 6 and maybe that many globes, not. or no globes. but only one battery cable rack, like the Seaside Rest room sign, only one, maybe none, value up. Gilmore was not a wealthy company like all small independents on the west side, hardly any advertisments, so i would say if he would take a $100.00 for the rack,25.00 for each can and 5.00 each for the maps you've done real good. he;d be happy and you could sleep. ha ha , that rack is rare. and if the cans are WHITE or YELLOW, like hens teeth. there's only a few guys that have seen them. but they were made. have fun, and send me a picture of this stuff. HTH.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Blake..Ignore everything you read here.

Now you wish you never asked!!

Simply ask the guy what he is comfortable with, if its less than you can pay tip them, then they will be happy and all will be cool!!

Reminds of of the time I agonized over what I would have to pay for a globe, the guy was not ready to sell yet. It had a dog on it and northern lites, when he finally made the descision to sell he wanted less than 500.00 which was what I was thinking of offering. Plus he insisted that I take the 1/2 of a visible pump that was there as well, threw it in with the globe!!

Get him to price, treat him well, and send me a Gilmore tin if that works ..LOL

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Get that battery cable sign!!!!!!! The cans if they're the Lion head offer $35.00 each, if Purest or Premium Pennsylvania, offer $50.00 each. They're worth more, but still a fair offer. The maps go for anywhere from about $30-$75; offer $100.00 for all of'em. You can always bump the offer, don't start too high. JMO Let us know how you did. Blake, I tried to get into your web site but I've been having some problems with "the machine". I left your cards on my table at Fred's bash, alot of 'em disappeared. Hope you got some "hits" off them. Tom

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I agree with dodogas, make him give you a price. The price the seller gives you is something the seller will feel comfortable with and not feel cheated.
Despite the wild prices some have thrown around an item is only truely worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. You my friend are the buyer. If he cant give you a price, make him an offer that YOU can afford. There seems to be a lot of people here with DEEP pockets. If you are one of those people that can give the guy a grand for a sign then do it. But also remember many people here got started on their collections by coming upon outstanding deals.
I once picked up some gauges and interior stuff for a car project I was working on from a friend of a friend. The stuff I got from the guy was worth well over 500 bucks. The guy told me to give him 75 bucks for it all. I got a deal and the stuff is still in the car today.

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
UMMMMMMMM... so whats ethical... better hope your friend doesn't get on to this site...

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
This fellow is a friend and I wish to leave on good terms!!

Let him make the price but remember, This is high dollar stuff. If your going to keep it as a reminder of your friend then give him what makes him happy. if your going to resale it then buy it , sell it, and take him some of the money tobe fair, don't just think of your self. good luck.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Just a few thoughts on buying, after you found something in the wild (ie owner does not know true value)

Paying what its worth can cause a lot of problems. First they may wonder why you are offer that much, which can lead to #1 them trying to find out, or #2 asking other people what it is worth. Both of these mean you may lose the item. Or they get gunshy and think it is worth even more than the actual value!

Another thing, say you pay 70.00 each for gilmore cans, next time he calls you and has some tins he will wonder why you dont want to even pay 50.00 each for mobil, Esso, , Chevron & Texaco tins..in other words now you cant deal with him any more!!

I bought a Rocket Radio in the box from a guy paid him well, knowing I would be trading it for a petro hat badge out of a museum. I cannot buy anything else from him he simply wants too much now.. and he told me I paid the same or higher as he had someone appraise the radio for!!

Remember this at the point they say they will sell, they have made their mind up to let it go if they get what they cosider is a reasonable amount for it. Try to get them to set the price if you can, if its low give them more..both parties happy= win win situation!!

Now go out and find more stuff!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know about you guys, but I can NEVER get anyone to price anything. They know what they want but will not tell you until after you make an offer. You have to be the buyer and seller. Therefore, I usually make an offer below what I am willing to give because they almost always want to raise you or they are so far out of the ballpark that it does not matter. BUT they will not tell you until after you make an offer. Then they say, I have been offered so and so or its worth way more than that. Been there done that. I would offer an amount that is comfortable for you that you can live with and see what they say. If they agree to that then you have a deal and if they raise you then you have to decide. I would not offer a crazy price but would not low ball it either since it is a friend of yours. I don't know if this helps any but good luck.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
My very first venture into the world of trading gas stuff..... a guy allowed me $250 on a Husky pump plate I had.... to trade for some Clack stuff he had that I wanted.... he turns around and sells the same plate for $2,000... he obviously knew much more than I did, but it was just one of those things.... I still like the guy and buy stuff from him... and he has given me a few good deals... I think he felt a little guilty.
Another time a guy walks in and hands me an outboard motor oil can just like one that had sold on ebay a few weeks earlier for $116... what do you do.... he wouldn't take any money and he has given me other stuff so I will get him some gift certificates so he can take his wife out for a few evenings.
Another thing I do when people give me things is to find out what kind of stuff they collect and get things for them that they will enjoy.
There are some people out there who like to give people things.... and they do get a certain amount of enjoyment out of it.. some are actually hurt when people try to pay them.
Kind of a funny story about the guy who gave me the outboard oil can.... it was a Clack can in really nice shape..... and his cousin had a Husky outboard oil can that he would sell me but had to check ebay first for what they were selling for.... there weren't any Husky cans selling at that time so he used the price for a Chevron can.... I had to give him $10 for a really nice Husky can.
Blake.... is there anything happening on the east side these days ??

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Your a good man Paul. not many of us left.
I will be placing a few images on the site today , some of the site is being worked on.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to hang out with you Blake...too cool...man you stumble upon some great stuff...good luck my friend on getting your new treasures...Ask your friend if he wants any tattoos...LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks all who have suggested and inputted on this topic! Quite the spread I must say.

I agree with those who say, if you go in and offer or tell them it is worth x amount, you shoot yourself in the foot for future visits, if my intention was to purchase the items for re-sale (Items will not be for sale! Thanks to all whom have sub-emailed me) then, with a friend you must come clean and let them know that as with any business venture you must make a buck at least!

Fortunately, in this situation, I will offer him a good "These items are a bit rare, I am going to keep them and I am not loaded,” offer for the now up to 6 items.

Again thanks for everyone’s suggestions, I will be sure to post pictures of these when I get them home and wrapped in their blankets!

Hubba, come on up whenever the feeling hits ya! A hunting we will go!

------------------
Classic Car Community

Classic Car Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved