Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
It's been a long time since I posted. Don't have cable (TV set has rabbit ears so I can watch football on networks). Anyway, Re: CSI I was out in a landfill north of the Santa Clara River west of Castaic Junction (and east of DB). The crew from CSI were filming an episode where the techs were supposed to be searching the Las Vegas dump for human body parts. They had a guy there with a cage of FLIES to be released when the camera was rolling. His job was Fly Wrangler!! Didn't see if he retrieved them after the shoot.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Are you guys telling me it's not real? shocked

Last edited by Canadiandiesel; Fri Sep 07 2012 05:10 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The BBC would have leased the rights to that show to the American producer. On our public broadcasting system (non-commercial TV in the U.S.) for example shows both the British and American versions of Antiques Road Show and the British version came first.

It works both ways...for example, we had a show (now in reruns) called golden girls, that was copied as British show called the Brighton Belles.

The British auction show was on PBS in the early O's here if I remember correctly.

I've only seen the U.S. auction show once. I liked the British version better, but I think the current U.S. show, because of the economy, or they selected a poor auction house, they haven't been getting the expected prices. The auction floor has a lot of empty chairs compared to the older British version of the show

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know the guy that American pickers happened to "just see their stuff while driving past front yard" He told me that someone had contacted them earlier to come down so they don't just find the stuff when the camera is rolling while on their on their pick hunt, they know beforehand. So many of their prices are ridiculous, buying signs, toys etc pennys on the dollar of what a real seller would sell the items to them for, I still like watching it as you see items you may never have seen before. If the finding items is staged the everything else is. At least American restoration invited me to a get together which I wasn't able to attend, American pickers would not even reply to their emails

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Sadly the producers/creators of such shows don't understand that simply showing the actual/real process would be just as entertaining and showing true realized values lend authenticity.

There used to be a cable access show here in the South that had 2 people visiting bonafide markets/yard sales and selling items online that could be bid on. Neither had idea of the actual value, but they showed alot of cool stuff and let the chips fall where they may when sold. They simply filmed the visits & purchase and you got the whole ambiance of collecting without alot of scripted *****.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
The best way to watch these shows is to turn the sound off and admire the items that you never knew existed.Jack Sim

...the best way to watch these shows is to turn the TV off...and 'I was just doing what I was told to do' is no excuse...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I was flipping channels last nite and caught an "expert" apprasial on Storage wars of some Coke items. Empty syrup bottles $75, 6 1/2 ounce embossed Coke bottle $100, red coke crates $75 , I have a new found fortune up in the attic. Going to quit my job tomorrow. Brady

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Brady,what's your home address...and when are you going to work. smile

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Now that's funny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings