Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#370150 Wed Nov 14 2012 05:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Looking to add a Midwest oil can to my collection, but the seller says that it is a reproduction, (I believe that it has been relidded and that may be throwing him off). Have never seen actual oil cans reproduced; I have seen the bottles with paper labels, but not an oil can.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
1937 GMC #370155 Wed Nov 14 2012 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are many oil cans that have been reproduced. Most are easy to tell cause most are a printed sticker on the can that wraps around it. I have also seen some good repop can that are litho.

I would purchase it as a repop since he believes it is and maybe you will get lucky.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #370158 Wed Nov 14 2012 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick Bennett here on Oldgas, makes a number of excellent looking (IMO) repop cans.... I've owned a couple that were place holders until I found the "real deal"....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NO ONE makes ANY repop can that are litho.
There was a ebay seller North of San Francisco making Unmarked qt's w/ a Vinyl Label & they did Create quite a problem till you had them in your hands.
When I started I WAS using Laser Printed Labels, but changed to Water Slide Decals applied to NEW Welded Seam Qt Cans. ALL OF MINE ARE DATED

Repo Real qts.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Nov 14 2012 06:17 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB i was looking at a can the other day that the guy claimed it was a repop and it was a litho can.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
mcguffeyd1 #370173 Wed Nov 14 2012 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you have a picture or ebay # ?

I have seen a few ODD BALL size/shape cans sold by Target that were Printed/Litho'd, BUT NOT any round qt cans.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no i dont have a picture. It was an 1 gallon can. Nice looking can but it was too nice and the colors were a bit off. It was a sinclair opaline can with the race car.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved