Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#371657 Wed Nov 21 2012 01:05 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi. New guy here. I posted in the new guy area but I want to get right to the experts here: Where can I find out about rebuilding the actual mechanism? I want this thing to pump gas! Also, does anybody know where to get the actual mechanism? I'm not sure yet if this thing actually has that part in it. The seller doesn't know much. He can't even get inside it... So far, all info I have received online tells me it's illegal to use these things for safety reasons, yet that will not deter me since I am not selling gas from it, it's for personal use! Thanks...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You need to let them know what kind of pump it is, pics ect. If it has its insides still, motor and all, it shouldnt be too hard to get going.

T
OP Offline
T
I believe by the description It's a Wayne 615 pump, though he claims its an 87B which i think he cant read through the rattle can paint properly. the seller peered through a small door and found a cylinder type device near the bottom. I'm assuming this would be the original pump mechanism, though there is no handle. I have no pix yet. Long drive, holiday, girlfriend complaint about me spending a bunch of money on something she doesn't "get". I just have to tell her "man cave" and she won't complain anymore! Anyway, I'm going to just go get this based upon my discovery of you all and the Comunity. I believe that the poor 20 year old rattle can paint can be removed and reveal the original paint scheme, etc. looks like I'm beginning a journey into petroliana! Who knew???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get ready!!--Its a long but enjoyable journey!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A WAYNE 615 Does Not have a Door. The 87 is a Wayne-Boyle Dayton Division, made in Los Angeles & has a Cast Iron Hinged Drop Down Door [approx 5' up from base].
The 87 is an Electric & Hand operated pump.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I hope you have read about the blue books. They were started by the U. S. Gobernment to exstabllins theage of old visiblees and other pumps, with the hint these pumps should be gotten red iof because of the war effort;

A small number of these pump survived, and once in a while one can be forund. But the problem is parts for these pump are not being made.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
OP Offline
T
Wow. THanks for the info. I can see this is going to be not only lengthy, but edumacational as well. I guess to really catch up, I am going to have to buy books and start reading. Anybody have any of these books online in the downloadable format? I am just getting used to the iPad thing and apparently, unbeknownst to me, a person can download a whole library into one of these things and carry a enough information to study for a PHD... So, these blue books? Why would it be beneficial to get rid of these for the war effort? Perhaps for the steel?
On another unrelated note: Today as I was driving past a little tiny state park that I drive past daily, there has been an antique Shell Station resurected there recently. I have been seeing the old Shell signs and today I thought I would stop by and check it out, and sure enough, there it was, a visible pump. I am now going to have to review the hints for posting pictures so you all can enjoy them and tell me if this is a repro or original. I have no idea how to tell, but it was fun seeing this thing and I can't imagine our state spends the dough to buy a repro just to have an old historical gas station where there used to be one. Stay tuned for the pix...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the Patent for a Wayne-Boyle Dayton Division Air & Hand Operated Pump.
Wayne-Boyle Dayton, Air-Hand operated

Another Grasshopper w/ LOTS to learn! LOL

T
OP Offline
T
Wow. Amazing stuff. I had no idea they had that much in them. No wonder people gut them to lighten the load! This also seems much more complex than what I was thinking. Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The electric version is similar to the air.
Very FEW Visibles have had the Guts removed, unlike the computer pumps.

T
OP Offline
T
Oh... I found a 615 version in slightly better appearance but the owner said it had been gutted to loghten the load. He was using it for a decoration. I thought about just getting that one and putting modern pump works in it just to have a "working" pump. It would be easier, however... now I am bitten by the bug. I guess this equates to like having a model T and restoring it yourself. Are the manual versions easier to work on? Less parts to deal with? 'Cause this looks like a technical nightmare in an industrial revolution kind of style. Seems that from what I can tell, the operator would work a handle on the side and that works a piston valve that controls air to a piston type air pump that assists in stoking the piston type pump that actually pumps the gas up from the tank to the glass?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I give up!

Beware Rednecks are moving into NorCal!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Nov 23 2012 07:34 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Actually, rednecks have been living here all along... I'm originally from Louisiana... We was trained to shoot the eyes out of a rattle snake at 100 yards standing offhand with open sights... By Grandma! (She was always the one who got the deer...)I digress. Anyway, more studying needed.

T
OP Offline
T
Here is some pix of the recreated old Shell station at the Bridgeport State Park in Bridgeport, Nevada County, Ca.

phpHxU1cuPM.jpg phpK3QtTiPM.jpg
Old Shell Station, Bridgeport State Park, Ca

phpV7kyEePM.jpg
Acrylic

phpZL3kKGPM.jpg
Backside. Plate says: "Guarantee Liquid Measure"

T
OP Offline
T
I am still looking at this thing, What was that cast iron drop down door for? I have read the patent for this at length. The drawing is difficult to get through, but it seems there are a bunch of valves, it seems as though the pneumatic version has a large air operated piston that assists in operating the gas pumping pistons? Are these more or less rare than others and are they more or less collectable? As this one is a rattle can paint job, would you try to remove that and find out what if any original paint is under? What would this thing be worth with all the guts intact, (non-working, no handle, though it may not have shipped with one)?
Thanks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved