Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376359 Sun Dec 09 2012 12:39 PM
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Good day, I did a search for "model 72" and "SouthWestern" but that did not provide me much information. I recently purchased one and trying to gather as much information as I can about the company and pump. What year was this model pump made? Are these considered "rare" since there isn't much info or is the lack of info a marker that these are not desirable?

What is the most common approach to restoring these, mine has all the internals (so I am told, I am not home can't look or take pics to show you all)? Is it best to leave them or remove(I read that it doesn't matter but to the purist collector but still asking for other opinions). Is it best to keep the original theme? A couple have commented that mine is a Sky Chief; I would like to have a little more color than just silver/gray, an idea I thought of was to put the main housing in black and the doors in silver/gray and the globe would be the one with the black background but as I am trying to figure out, would making it a "custom" color scheme lose value?

Any other tidbits you feel I should know please share, this is my first pump and I am very excited! Been wanting one for years and happy I stumbled upon this one.

In advance, thanks for your replies.

AJ

South West Pump.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When restoring a short electric pump, you are not going to hurt the value of the pump by gutting it out (removing the pumping mechanism). In my opinion you are going to enhance it. 99.9% of these pumps (short electric's) get gutted when restored.

As far as color scheme, paint any brand or colors that will give you the most enjoyment. It is going to be sitting in your house so you might as well do it up the way that is going to be most visually pleasing to you and your WIFE. Good to bear in mind that if she likes this one it will be easier to get the 2nd one.

Again, colors and brand will not effect the value of the pump...it may narrow down the number of potential buyer's, if you get overly creative with colors. If tastefully done, it will have no bearing on value.

Most people set out to buy a pump, not a certain color pump or brand. Quality of restoration is the most important factor, in determining value.

Most important thing is to keep it fun, and to enjoy the entire restoration process. Which is pretty easy to do!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Dave! Maybe I will find an old pump design I like instead of restoring this back to original. I am going to pick up a book about restoring pumps when I get back home and hope to find some inspiration in it. I am not finding much in terms of google images... It seems that most pumps, on google anyways, are Texaco. I like Texaco, living in Texas and all, but I don't want something that "everyone" has. Thanks again for sharing that info, I think you are correct, I should do what I like since myself and the wife will be looking at it. It will be in a shop one day (when we get one) so it won't be something she stares at in the house daily... she already isn't excited I bought two arcade style games... LOL

AJ

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack Sim, author of "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" 1st & 2nd Editions. Has the most information on his web site.
Here ya go;
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/company_histories.htm

POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again! Here is what is stated about the company from Jack Sim's website:

Southwest Pump Company

Bonham, Texas

Southwest started in business as Catron Manufacturing Co., Inc. Sometime between 1925 and 1928 the company name was changed to Southwest Pump Company. Southwest continued in the gas pump business until it was purchased by The Tokheim Corporation in 2000. Information on this company has been difficult to find, as they did not advertise much. It is presumed that many more pumps than are shown in this book were made. The company was acquired by the Tokheim Company in 1992.

Found it a little humorous... I now half way understand why there isn't much out there about these pumps. LOL

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved