Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32399 Thu Jul 31 2003 05:22 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I, too, can not get loose this year to attend. Yes, you HAVE to be there Wed. or you miss out. I've been to the Sat. morning auction and can not say with any truth that I ever got a bargain. I've seen too much stuff go for at LEAST 10-20 percent OVER what it was worth, not counting the buyer's penalty and state sales tax of 5%.

No, I must admit that the auction is a waste of time. That is my opinion only. Go to the Aumann auctions for better stuff and I think better bargains can be had.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#32400 Thu Jul 31 2003 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ABSOLUTELY Weekend shows. This ain't Bingo for fogeys..

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#32401 Thu Jul 31 2003 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Promoters, are you listening (or reading)? Buyers want weekend shows! Sure some might still have to take a day off work. Thats still better than taking 2, 3 or even 4 or more days off. Every dollar of lost pay due to having to take off work is a dollar we can't spend at your show! You'd think that promoters would do everything they could to attract more buyers. We're already looking at fuel,hotel,meals, and admission costs before we ever spend a dime actually buying something for our collections. Figure in lost wages to attend a weekday show and its no wonder some guys just buy on ebay.

From what I see and hear, attendance is stagnant at best at most shows. If the shows are to survive, let alone thrive , more buyers need to be attracted. The promoter of one small mid-west show took the plunge and bought TV advertising for his show. By all accounts the show was the best he'd ever promoted. If any business is going to thrive, the person operating that business has to be open to change. Just because a show has always been Wednesday afternoon through Saturday doesn't mean that it has to stay that way forever. Times change. The shows need to change.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#32402 Thu Jul 31 2003 08:06 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Hey Bob... I couldn't have said it better. Thank You!! The promoters of these shows need to realize just who their customer is, not only today but tomorrow. They should remember that in order to promote the hobby in a positive manner, for future success, they need to do what is necessary to spread the wealth. Do the shows on the weekend!! Give everyone an equal opportunity to participate, whether buying or selling.
The future of this hobby is hanging on the next generation.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#32403 Thu Jul 31 2003 10:11 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Well since everybody posted, I guess I will give my perspective.
These shows MUST be done on weekends and there must be a real push to stop the "show up a day early and sell everything at the gate" mentality. That is not fair and it does not help the hobby. The "old boy" network of the same guys buying and selling each others stuff every year does nothing for the hobby.
The funny thing is this, when these guys die, who will buy their collections? The same guys they sell to now? No! Those guys will be too old and near dead. If the old guys do not bring in new blood, they are really screwing themselves. I don't mind, I will be the one that wins. In 10-20 years when there are only a handfull of guys that care about this stuff there will be plenty of pumps to go around... cheap!
It is always said that the things that go up in value are the things that older people relate to. The muscle cars shot up in value when the guys who could never own one at 18 were able to afford one at 50. Most of you older guys remember these pumps, had jobs or family in service stations. I don't, I can't remember seeing an old pump in use. (I was born in 72)
I guess the question is, are the old guys going to welcome the new guys and change the way they do business to make the business grow?
I went to my first gas bash alone, none of my buddies would go. I showed up and walked around like an ass. I knew no one and did not know what half of the stuff was that I was looking at. I didn't want to ask, there was a table of 5 old guys talking away, I did not want to go over and interupt with some dumb question.
I was lucky because of this site, I had met Dick once before, then I met Larry, Don and GP Rob. I had a great time talking with those guys, they made the trip fun. Don walked me around Roy Reed's collection and pointed out all the cool stuff.
The and the HUGE help I have received from guys like Don and Dwaine in buying pumps has really made my interest turn into a full addiction. All you guys can rest assured that I will be at all your estate sales... buying up lots of goodies! I am hooked, how about the other guys?
Next time you guys are at a gas show, make sure you are nice to all the guys, not just your old buddies. Make sure you include all the guys. It will come back to you 10 fold.

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#32404 Fri Aug 01 2003 11:01 AM
D
D
Since I'll be retiring at the end of the year I guess I'd have to say it's gonna be great attending these shows accross the country during mid week. Instead of 20 guys fighting over a crusty old pump maybe there only be 5 or 10.....

Dennis Moen
#32405 Sat Aug 02 2003 06:17 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
This subject was brought up in an earlier post with little response,but this time we're getting some imput. So far the majority wants weekends as do I. Voice your opinion either way, I think the promotors are watching. Ron''''''

#32406 Sat Aug 02 2003 08:28 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Good Morning folks. I won't be going, but hope to be able to go some day. 600 miles away, which seems close by for many of you, is too far as my days off are Fri. and Sun. Because I have 2 part time jobs, the 2 week paid vacation and other benefits just aren't there. I hope this event survives for at least another 10 yrs. When I retire I hope I'll still feel like going. I would rather it be a weekend event as I think most people get weekends off.
To those who are able to go: Have Fun for me too.
Rod
in Nebraska

------------------

#32407 Sat Aug 02 2003 08:39 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, most posts so far are asking to do weekend shows. Now it remains to be seen whether exsisting show promoters will get the message. I think those of us that deal with these promoters has to clue them in...The promoters may not be reading the posts on this site. I hope for the sake of the hobby that there will be some changes to
welcome new and younger collectors.
As T-way said...
"Run the shows on the weekends like every other collectable/car/tractor/antique show sponsor does.".
There are a lot of "Car Guys" that got into this hobby, and there can be more...lots more. I think many of them don't even know of Gas/Oil swap meets because these shows are some of the best kept secrets anywhere. True "promotion" means more that just flyers and ads in the hobby's magazines. It means TV, Radio and Newspaper in the market where the event is held. I know this costs money, but IF we want to change the hobby for future growth and health, I think it needs to be a part of how things are done. New collectors have to feel welcome. Who wants to attend a "Family Reunion" when you don't feel like you're part of the family? Also, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts after this year's Iowa Gas.
How was the attendance? How were the prices? Any new faces? And did anyone get a chance to speak to the promoters regarding this subject. Thanks to everyone helping to keep our hobby growing......

Sinclair Joe
#32408 Sat Aug 02 2003 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Truth be known some of these guys like weekday shows and like the come early buddy system and like the shows size. I hope we can get more Fri. or Sat. or Sun. shows and maybe add a cruise in to the shows. I know a small car show add to the gas shows would be cool. I know the Buddy system is really bad and I don't think it will ever go away so if you can beat them join them. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#32409 Sat Aug 02 2003 09:12 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
BINGO! A family reunion when you are not part of the family, ha ha ha. That is exactly how I felt.
If you a see a newbie, help him out... ask him if he has any questions or about his collection. You can tell the newbies at a gas bash, they are the ones that walk around aimlessly with eyes the size of dinner plates! lol
You vendors, talk to the guys that come to your table. I know you want to talk to your old buddies BUT try to be extra nice
It never hurts to be extra nice!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#32410 Sat Aug 02 2003 03:12 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Years ago at Iowa Gas when I was still naieve on petroliana, I wanted to buy an item from a vendor. I should have walked. The guy was pretty nasty. He kept counting and re-counting a wad of bills, 20's, 50's and hundreds trying to figure out the guy that had just left, if he had ripped him off I guess. After I waited for quite a while, he turned to me and snapped 'whadda ya want?'

I sure hope the new guys never run into this one!!!

#32411 Mon Aug 04 2003 02:49 PM
C
C
I'll be coming. Thursday, this time. I've come in the past on Saturdays and last year on Sunday. What a waste for 13 hours of driving.

Hey Midway,

Guess what? I was the new guy who ran into that countless times. And Iowa was the only place I've ever made it to with people who consider this a hobby. That and this board. Both places have lurked with money-grubbing collectors that seem to be in it just for the money.

I can't believe what I get when I ask for help or to see something. Most push me away. I've been a young guy in the hobby -- starting 7 years ago at age 16. I got a deal on a Wayne 60 that still needs a hip to be complete. I've been searching for all these years only to get e-mails that reply "Gee, I can't help you. . . but I want your pump. How much are you selling it for?" That always gets me especially after I have already explained it's sentimental value in my letter. I'm not giving it up. I found out that it was an old pump my grandfather used 50 years before my discovery.

So my interest cooled off considerably especially after going to Iowa that first year. Call me bitter, but I don't find many friends in this hobby. Just a bunch of people in it for the money. I think talking to Ron Scobie got me back into it. I'm giving it a second chance.

#32412 Mon Aug 04 2003 03:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Midway & Chris.....

Sad stories for sure. I hope this hasn't become the norm. A few years back when I was better able to attend the shows, most collectors seemed very friendly & helpful.
A "HOBBY" should be something everyone has fun with...There's too much B.S. in the regular world, we don't need to kill this hobby with it!!!!

Sinclair Joe
#32413 Mon Aug 04 2003 03:42 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
hey guy's iam listening. as we can't have a good show with out you [petro nut's]. that is why we are going with a sat. & sun. show. for the MICHIGAN FALL GAS SHOW. TERRY AKA. BIG CHEESE. P.S BE THERE 4 THE FREE BAR- B-Q. & AS ALWAY'S THE GREAT STUFF THAT SHOWS UP.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved