Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#378162 Sun Dec 16 2012 11:47 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I finally broke down and entered your arena and bought a fine example of a Wayne 87 E visible pump. I also bought the restoring book. As per your observations, it is an electric only, no handle, not even a place for one, and upon observation with an inspection camera before committing to buy, I discovered no hand pump, rather an electric motor with wires and conduit still attached, what appears to be a vane type pump though I am not yet sure. Anybody have any info on these things? I would like to restore back to original paint, and if at all possible, working condition. Best part? All of the indicators, and the original blue glass in perfect condition! Pictures to follow after I get this thing out of the back seat of my truck! (The glass and indicators anyway. I wasn't taking any chances with that.)
Upon examining the nuts on the top, I discovered them to all be free and easily removable with only rattle can paint resisting that process a bit. I will want to restore the glass to funtional, so does anybody know where to get the gaskets, or whatever seals they used in these? This has probably been apart before to move it. Came originally from a petroliana collector in Oregon. Any info about the pump mechanism and rebuilding it would be also be appreciated. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im not sure about getting parts for the actual pump mechanism but Gas Pump Heaven, Vics 66, or Ron Scobie should have gaskets for the glass cylinder.

Jason Howard
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks much. I'm unloading the unit right now, so progressive pix over the next weeks on my progress! I just read one post where somebody gives the chronologic order of events to follow: Get the thing stripped and sand blasted and cleaned up, get the parts together, choose a paint scheme, gather the globes, decals, and then fit everything, and THEN paint and reassemble. Now I have to choose a paint scheme...
FUN!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Welcome to the club!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cylinder was originally sealed w/ Litharge Glycerin Cement. Talk to your local Petro service company to find a replacement cement.
azjockey here is a Pump Repairman [if he ain't playing Golf], maybe he has a Recipe/Replacement.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun Dec 16 2012 01:21 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The Wayne 87 was originally the Boyle-Dayton 87.
After Wayne purchased B-D they continued to make the 87, but with Wayne's name on it. See page 112 of my Gas Pump book.

I do have B-D sales literature with a very good description of the pump. Email me if interested.

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks. Emailing soon. Posting pictures in a minute.

T
OP Offline
T
Here it is safely parked in the shop, which I guess is now officially my man cave. (I have the proverbial pin ball machine, tools, fridge with the tap drilled through the side, and keg inside, and the mess from moving back in.) There is the little door also, currently on the bench. It is broken though, and I assume that was the part that locked the nozzle on the pump. Bummer about that. Anybody have one of those? I might be tempted to fabricate the missing part and braze it on.
Next, there are cork gaskets on Vic's 66. Will this work for sealing gas in there or do I also need that sealer you all were speaking of?
Also, it appears that the nozzle is modern. I have a similar one on my toy hauler fuel station. In addition, the hose seems to be real and newer so I believe this pump was in service in recent past. I would be interested in getting a nozzle for this that works, but looks vintage. Are the repops functional or just for looks? Anybody can get a working modern nozzel for about 17 bucks at the local petrol supplier. I just bought one for my toy hauler to replace the broken one that came with it. Cheap pot metal! The sales man told me nobody even repairs these, just replace for under 20 bucks...
Then there is the dome: It ahs some tiny rust holes, and is missing one of the stand-offs that keep it elevated. Would it be more realistic and less "Farb" to keep this or can I put one on there that allows me to mount a globe? How should I fix the rust holes? strip and then lead them in and primer and paint?

phpfYpk6dAM.jpg phpgDB2MuAM.jpg
Jar lid and indicators, and dome. I know, they are upside down, just the only space I had on the bench!

phpQB9Q6JAM.jpg
The valuable part!

Last edited by The Shoveler; Mon Dec 17 2012 01:44 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Ok, I assembled it just to see it standing in my new shop, which now, I guess, with this addition has just become my Man Cave. Shucks folks, I always wanted a Man Cave. I guess I better start decorating it with motor cycles, and man stuff. Does a fridge converted to a kegerator count? It has beer in it... How about a pinball machine and a Harley Davidson dart board? HAHAHA!!!! (See what you all started?)

phpZcQj5aPM.jpg
New pic, assembled temporarily for looks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Ok, I bought it, now what?

Time to go buy ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & .................

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Quote:
Ok, I bought it, now what?

Time to go buy ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & ANOTHER & .................

Book a trip to Santa Paula, CA and look up a guy called DB. He can help you with ANOTHER 6 pack of pumps OR maybe just the suds... wink
CAUTION: that Heineken could be fresh squeezed OJ in disguise. LOL

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Thu Dec 27 2012 03:58 PM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
T
OP Offline
T
You have contact info for DB in Santa Paula, CA?

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Yep, 2 post up!

Cliff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved