Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#386601 Wed Jan 16 2013 04:09 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for alittle help with this cylinder. It is 13 5/8"X 22" came on a Fry 117 pump, but it has 2 sets of etched gallon markers, painted black. There is no sign of gallon markers ever being inside or outside, looks to me the cylinder has never been off, or its been a very long time since its been off.
--Did the 117 ever come with etched gallon markers? Or is this cylinder off another pump? The 117's I've seen have gallon markers on a rod.
--Any info would be great!!

Thanks Grant

DSC00919.JPG DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG DSC00924.JPG

Thanks Grant
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being that Mr Fry was in the Glass business before getting into Pump Manufacturing, early 17's & 117's did have etched cylinders.
At top there Might be an etching of FRY.
CRYING Shame that your cyl. is Cracked, That'll be harder to replace [Add Tape BEFORE removing cyl. After removed it might work to use windshield repair to glue together till you can find a Replacement].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello,
I have seen them three ways: 1. Etched on glass 2. Mounted inside on rods attached as part of the top and bottom rings or attached to pieces of metal bent over the rings 3. Mounted on the outside(of the cylinder) on the rods.
I saw a glass restoration product several years ago that was used by museums to restore valuable porcelains. It was thin enough to penetrate the crack, dried clear, and had outstanding adhesive qualities. You might try to locate some of this stuff. PLEASE wrap packing tape around that cylinder, as DB suggested,(before you remove it) and do not try to take the rings off. It is what it is and you might never see an etched cylinder again. Good luck and show us some pictures of the pump.
Dave
PS I personally think that they were manufactured in this order: Oldest-etched 2. Outside next 3. Inside Last(newest) for what it it worth.

Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I thank you DB, and Dave for the excellent info, and I will do what I can to save this baby, hopefully someday I will have enough knowledge and info to help out the way you guys do.

Thanks again Grant

Thanks Grant

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved