Click here for Project Car auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
This site is like a tag sale...not enough history on the items and why we as COLLECTORS are in this hobby. I think the focus of the site has gone on the way side....now its about money and how much is this sign worth in this antique malll before i buy it so when i do buy it i can try to sell it here....posting pictures i can understand why many people do not and i try to limit certain items. Reproductions are being produced in crazy amounts and items we thought would never be reproduced are now being made. Every week there is a massive amount of reproduction junk that shows up on ebay.... I am trying my best with TBA of the month as with the cotm which are great ways to introduce new collectors. I agree with you BOB.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I honestly think that everyone has something to contribute on Oldgas....

All I was/am asking is that one takes the time, to think before posting....

There is nothing wrong with posting "cut-outs" (I don't know what else to call them) alongside a pump, computer, globe, sign etc... Or any of the other postings... IMO, these images should be placed in the General Discussion Forum... (that is why I placed my post about the Showcase Forum in the General Discussion Forum)... Or the other appropriate Forums.....

The Showcase Forum, in the past WAS NOT for the mundane (IMO).... IT WAS for "Showcase" items and Threads... Threads like COTM, GOTM, FATW, BOTW... Histories of Company's... Images of Collections... Vintage photos that highlighted the Hobby....

The Showcase Forum, was special and was treated as such.... I am hoping; That we the Membership, can elevate it back up to that "Special Status"....

My posting was not to "re-hash" what has been discussed in the past.... I was hoping that We, as a Membership, will take a long look at the Showcase Forum and that We will support those who are working hard on the Feature Forums... Those like: Shawn, Mick, Keith, Doc, Kenny and Lonnie and Aaron.... (hopefully I haven't left out anyone)...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I'm wondering, and I suppose Jim can answer this;

How about a general email from Oldgas to members pointing out these highlight threads? For those who have joined since many of the threads became less active they may not be aware of them. The email can point to them and advise what the purpose is for them.

Just a suggestion.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I AGREE Bob.
Always thought a Random picture was just that Random, not a posed/setup picture.

Tim Rohr ASKED for Help in getting an Indicator Gallery set up. Quite a few posted they thought that was a great Idea.
He ASKED for my Help & I have ASKED for YOUR Help. Only a couple have sent images to him or me.
He is Frustrated, I'm Frustrated..............

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You are right, db.. I meant to contribute to the thread and I haven't... I will see if I can't dig up some images...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, I agree with your comments and observations.

It's sad, when membership is treated like a privilege.

It's tragic, when censorship prevails over common sense.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
How about a general email from Oldgas to members pointing out these highlight threads? For those who have joined since many of the threads became less active they may not be aware of them. The email can point to them and advise what the purpose is for them.

Paul,
I send a "Welcome" email to new members with links to "How To Post a Picture" "How to Post a Message" and 4 more. There are Forum Guidelines and Summaries on the forums and a forum dedicated to "Help" topics. But in actual experience, too many people don't read directions or rules, even when they are having difficulty doing something.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
i think, all you guys sound like a bunch of old wash woman. just my right to voice my opinion!

Last edited by towbizz33; Mon Jan 21 2013 06:44 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for jumping in, Lyle...

You make my point...

You edited what you had to say and that was too bad, if that is how you really feel....

I was/am hoping to return Oldgas to where it was a few years ago... A time when the Membership was engaged in the History of the Hobby.... I really don't give a damn if one is a Collector, Novice, Non-Collector, Picker... Whatever.... I would hope if one becomes a Member of Oldgas; They have an interest in the Hobby and it's History....

If that means I sound like a "Washer Woman", then so be it.....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Jan 21 2013 06:57 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posting pictures is as easy as sending in an email, yet some members Refuse to learn how to re-size for Direct Upload or to use the Multi FREE Image Hosting Sites on the web.
When using a Image hosting, ALWAYS select the Link for FORUMS, use the FREE TEST Area;
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11&page=1

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob you make great points on this topic.

This site has changed as i have read older post and how we all use to get along and the history was important.
Granted i have been on this site for only a few plus months, i understand your concerns.

It is sad that people post how they "hate" this site and think that we all sound like a bunch of old women. If they really think that way then leave the site and let us all be on our merry way. No hard feeling towards anyone, but complaining and posting offensive stuff without trying to make the site better is useless. All post should be for the health of this site.

The reason i am here is to learn, trade, meet awesome people, collect petro items and old advertising. This is what Jim Potts wanted Oldgas to be.

I have been using the PM system more now because of useless post and i want oldgas to be a place for good information for us and the future generations.

So i am off my soapbox now...

Who is next?

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Thanks for jumping in, Lyle...

You make my point...

You edited what you had to say and that was too bad, if that is how you really feel....

I was/am hoping to return Oldgas to where it was a few years ago... A time when the Membership was engaged in the History of the Hobby.... I really don't give a damn if one is a Collector, Novice, Non-Collector, Picker... Whatever.... I would hope if one becomes a Member of Oldgas; They have an interest in the Hobby and it's History....

If that means I sound like a "Washer Woman", then so be it.....

Guess he LIKES US Bob, HE is still throwing 1/2 of his 2c in !

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
bob, i never said you were a wash women,if you thought that,sorry. i fell every time i log on to this site,everyone is having a ***** contest.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Lyle, I apologize if I "jumped to a conclusion"!

I have a bad habit of "acting like a frog and jumping too quickly" a good portion of the time...

I knows it drives many Members crazy and I am trying to control it, but as all can see... Hard to teach this 'Ol Dog any new tricks.... LOL

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
It sure would be much easier to sit on the sidelines and say nothing, but here is my $.02:
Overall, a very healthy discussion. I have been on here just long enough to fall in the middle between the veterans and the new members, so I see both sides.

Once a thread falls off of the page, it is easier to post, than to research. I didn't know the "great old pics" thread existed for a long time.

I didn't know of the "changes" in showcase, so I just went back and looked. Bob, I see what you are saying. I personaly never post anything because I don't have anything super rare,or extremely valuable. That doesn't mean I'm not proud of it,and I certianly understand those who do post that first pump or can, that they are so proud of.

I don't understand the venom that some veterans respond to new members questions with, nor do I understand the newbies that are instant experts. I choose to simply not respond if I am in disagreement, and let the thread disappear off the page quickly and silently.I have been guilty of wanting to respond or ask, and haven't, out of concern for how it would be responded to.

The moderators never receive enough credit for the time and effort they put in. My thanks to each of you. Thanks also to those working on the COTM and other long running threads.

I have only offered opinions, and no solutions, but overall, this is a great sight. I have learned many things on this sight I would have never learned otherwise, seen many petro items I would probably have never seen and most importantly, I now am able to call many of you friends that would never have happened without Oldgas.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved