Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#391705 Mon Feb 04 2013 06:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
So I just got the gilbarco 98 I was asking about in the value section. Pump turns out to be in really great condition with not rust through anywhere, all parts intact. Going to leave it original and add globe, wiring etc. my question is about removing the guts. Any insights in doing that appreciated. When I took of the wire that was twisted around the pump hose and nozzle and stretched out the hose I was surprised to see a stream of gas come pouring out so I'm concerned the guts may have gas in there as well. Thanks in advance for your help

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gas will be so old it might burn like diesel/varnish. I use a torch to gut pumps, most others get Busted Knuckles by using wrenches.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I just start taking out bolts that connect stuff together until I can get a piece to fall out! LOL That pump is fairly easy and there is no set method, so just start removing everything but the Veeder Root and the light manifold and the sight glass manifold.. Everything else can hit the dirt!

Some guys use a sawzall on some of the pipes, but I use the wrenches that DB doesn't like and I take my time. I can usually finish one in about an hour! Good Luck

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I once gutted 21 pumps in one day using wrenches. It was when I was in central Ohio while my wife was going to school at Wright/Pat. Talk about being tired.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
OP Offline
M
Think ill go with the wrenches. Thanks!

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
If its a suction unit Remove the motor out first To make room for the pumping unit and work your way upward. Use wrenches. And if you think their is old fuel in the pump ,you might want to do it out-side. When someone complains about the smell just tell them its your new after shave colone .

Gene

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved