Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#413444 Wed May 01 2013 12:22 PM
C
Chilton Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I want to install 13.5" lenses in a two-piece plastic globe (sold by Gas Pump Heaven but bought at a swap meet so no directions included).

Thought it would be rather simple, and maybe it is, but the lenses don't seem to fall into place like I thought.

Any instructions/tips/words of caution will be appreciated.

Larry

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Chilton #413447 Wed May 01 2013 12:29 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hi Larry,
Your lenses could be for a glass body, not a Capco, so caution would need to be exercised before screwing the body shut. They are usually thicker glass than those made for Capcos, and from what I have experienced, glass notches are approx. 1/4" deep, whereas Capco notches are about 1/8" deep. This is not a rule by any means, but I measured several lenses a while back for either style and this was the measurements I came up with. You can risk breaking the glass lenses if you try to force them into a Capco and screw the halves together too tightly. Vice versa, if you try to mount Capco lenses on a glass body, you might crack them as well as the stress can be too great from the screws and metal always wins over glass! wink
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #413464 Wed May 01 2013 02:39 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Gas Pump Heaven has a YouTube video of how to do it if they are correct lenses for the Capco.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know what you are talking about. Some of the repo capco bodies can be a pain to get the lenses into. Just keep working at it and as Darin said make sure the lenses are capco lenses and not glass body lenses.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #413483 Wed May 01 2013 05:09 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
A very very good thing to do when putting these together is to place a towel or large piece of cloth inside of the capco between the two lenses.....just in case things slip...that way the two lenses cant go crashing into each other and break!

I have put several of these together and fight the heck out of them. The last ones I put together, I asked the little lady to give me a hand and they all snapped together in about 1 minute! definately easier with 4 hands!

Once you do one, it seems things go much smoother after you get the hang of it!

But the towel trick is a MUST, or you quite possibly could break lenses.

rogerg #413507 Wed May 01 2013 06:27 PM
C
Chilton Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am a novice at pump globes and lenses, so I don't know what kind of lenses I have. They were bought thru this website and were special order made by a major supplier, the name escapes me now.

At Gas Pump Heaven, I saw a connection to a YouTube video on installing pump glass panels but nothing on installing lenses. Not much good at YouTube searches.

I hear the words of caution but first I need to identify the type of lenses and what types of globes will accommodate them.

Larry

Chilton #413636 Thu May 02 2013 08:27 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Larry. The depth of the lens notches at 9 and 3 o'clock will usually determine if your lenses were made for a glass or a plastic body: Shallow notches for plastic body....deeper notches for a glass body. Just post a measurement of your lense notch depth here, and one of the gang will be able to I.D. your lens body application. John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved