Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#430164 Mon Jul 15 2013 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I see maps for sale all over, at swap meets, yard sales, ebay and antique shops. I know very little about them and would like to know if there are any easy ways to tell if what I am looking at is worth more than a couple bucks? I would assume condition, age and subject matter all play into it. How do you tell if it is a $5, $10 or $100 item?

What are some of the rare ones to keep an eye out for?

Thanks

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Wes Maxwell #430166 Mon Jul 15 2013 09:05 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Look for ones with nice graphics but look for company's that don't come up often. For example, Hankock, gilmore, Grizzly, red indian, etc. They go for $50 and up. There was a Hankock map that sold on here for $100. I remember who bought the map too. I will try and find the link.

Last edited by Gas sign guy; Mon Jul 15 2013 09:09 AM.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Wes, don't know much myself. I would think subject matter might up value,like the Sinclair map with the pennant hotels flagged.
But then maybe only to someone like yourself or I.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, after all these years... I am still working at figuring out "what makes certain maps click"... with Buyers?

The age of the map, sometimes is a factor and other times; not..

The "superior graphics" idea just doesn't wash with some maps...

The "it is a smaller Well known Regional Company" sometimes works and other times.... Is a complete bust!

Here is a Map I was out bid on this last week:

The graphics are not "earth shattering", nor is there any real color to them... But, if I had had "deeper pockets". I would have pushed the "winning bid figure to well over $100"... (as it was I lost the map at $93) But, it is one I "needed" for my display... Someone else, "needed/wanted" it more... There were 12 bids on the map. Multiple bids from 5 of us... And the winner bid... just the once...

Here is a map both AL and I were watching... We figured it might get close to $100....

Hammer down price... Well over $200....

It doesn't have "fancy graphics". The back cover is as "plain jane" as it gets... Just an Ohio "mileage Chart"...

It is from a very small Regional Company, that didn't last too long... But.... There have been hundreds of Company's that failed the same way and their maps don't bring anywhere near that "kind of scratch"...

So I keep running my fingers through what hair I have left on the top of my head and for the life of me.... I can't answer your question..... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy what trips Your Trigger & enjoy. Lay it on the tale For Sale & if it don't sell, take it home & Enjoy it till it does sell.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I had a Speedwing 700 map. Not great graphics but a rare small company. It brought $180 on ebay.

Bill Fortune
wfort39663 #430223 Mon Jul 15 2013 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see maps as one of the next big things in this hobby because they are so directly associated with the brands and reigons and they are less expensive than signs and other station items but when opened up they give a big show of how life was in that period in that region. They also go down to a very manageable size for the collector with tight space.
I really like getting some and opening them up and go through them to see where the highways were and the points of interest back in those days. Our America is completely different from what is usually in those.
I expect these will rise in price also but I don't expect them to go too crazy.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Wes Maxwell #430234 Mon Jul 15 2013 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, I am sure that you have Sinclair maps in your Collection. And I bet that other Company maps have caught your eye...

As to Dave's observations: For most Collector's; Maps have been "the next big thing" in the Hobby, for decades and decades... I personally, have not met a Collector yet; That didn't have at least a few maps in their Collection... And all of these were always on the "look out" for any map that "caught their eye", no matter the Oil Company.

Dave your statement about some of the more "graphic" Oil Company maps are absolutely correct... Here are a few examples:

1932 Shell Oil map:

1932 DX map:

1930s Deep Rock map:

1933 Sinclair map:

1936 Sinclair map:

1930s CONOCO map:

As to value; I've seen all of these maps bring between $15 and $50... So while "very pretty" they are also "pretty affordable" at the same time...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have found the real early Trunk line maps and of course the early White Eagle maps usually sell for a high premium. I had 2 of the same 1929 White Eagle maps last year and decided to let one go. It brought $150 ballpark. Hope that helps Wes. Of course I still wish I had it smile.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are GREAT Bob, thanx for sharing!!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob...

I was watching the Blue Flash map myself!!

It was pre 1930 map... Pocahontas Oil from Cleveland, Ohio.

It was before Hickok Oil bought them out !!

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Hy-Flash 72 #448410 Wed Jul 17 2013 12:23 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
When ebay first started you couldn't touch the plain generic Clack maps for under $100.... now they sell for around $35.
The one I have pictured below I got off ebay fairly early on and I paid $165 for it... pretty sure I got it from Les. It was made in Spokane by a 1940s decal artist who was pretty popular and their maps still bring quite a bit of $$$ today.
Of course awhile after I paid the big bucks the price dropped and I had a couple of them given to me.... go figure.

Here's a sample of a non-petro map folded out done by the same company.

huskybob #448439 Wed Jul 17 2013 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the pictures and info. I will see what I can find

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved