Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3987 Tue Nov 06 2007 10:43 AM
OP Offline
A while back I remember a pretty cool idea that involved using crackle pant on a pump to get that "off the island look". Can anyone help me out here?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#3988 Tue Nov 06 2007 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A P:

Crackle paint is available in both 'brush on' and 'spray on' types of paint. The spray-on version I'm referring to is for Custom Automotive finishes and is quite expensive.

For that 'Off the Island' look - I'd suggest the brush on type since the pumps would have been painted with a brush initially anyway.

Any Home Center in your area should be able to help you out. There are even spray-bomb kits available at Lowe's and Home Depot - but the colors are limited.

The basic concept is to paint the base color on the pump and let it completely dry. Then you paint on the crackle medium and let that dry. Finally you you put on the top coat and as it drys, it shrinks. The crackle medium allows the paint to craze and pull apart. The type of strokes you paint the crackle meduim on with will determine the size and orientation of the crazing.

Here's a quick primer on the process from the DIY Network:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_faux_finishes/article/0,2025,DIY_13754_2268370,00.html

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 11-06-2007).]

#3989 Tue Nov 06 2007 03:08 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. I've got a pair of pumps in the backyard that I want to make look like an abandoned gas station- matching cracked paint, pump signs and all. I'm hoping to make it look like somewhere time has left behind.
A P

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved