Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#452352 Fri Aug 02 2013 02:53 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
I know most don't like rules and over regulated shows but IG needs some enforcement. The Sunday/Monday arrivals is a joke. For those that are not retired, the drain on vacation time is tough and coming in two days before a late week show leaving the day it technically starts is bizzare.

Either move the start date to Tuesday (and with early arrivals it will be a weekend show) or have a firm Thursday starting date. Also while I'm on my soap box......bring back the Friday can auction and Saturday general auction, let Sunday be the travel day. The current state of the show doesn't benefit anyone that is attending as a vendor or buyer/collector.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #452355 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:26 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Could not agree more - it's ridiculous in it's current state! The only one benefiting is the hotel (and possibly show promoters thereby?). I know IG promoters tried policing things in the past and failed, but the promoters at Columbus do a good job of controlling the show start. Columbus also has worked to find a great location that is a joy for vendors/buyers to stay at - including a great complimentary breakfast and evening appetizer/cocktail hour. The Iowa Gas hotel has been a pain every year due to overcrowding, and lack of parking for vendors and buyers. This year was worse with much of the parking fenced off due to pending construction. Look for an Embassy Suites in Des Moines and change the schedule back to a long weekend so more people can attend (including BUYERS!). I remember years ago, there were actually people who came to the show who weren't vendors themselves, it seems lately all Iowa has been is collectors/dealers trading amongst ourselves - and having to take a week off work to do it. In reality- the show could be done in 3 days including the auction. That should be Thur-Sat, NOT Mon-Wed! I know you can't please everyone all the time - but can anyone say they actually like the current format?

Signs&Neons #452358 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would agree with both of your statements... just seeing the posts of people returning on weds & thurs and not knowing when is actually ideal to show up has made me not actually miss being there that much, and it has severely affected my thoughts of attending in the future.

no other shows or sales operate that way. there might be 1 day before that vendors can trade and buy/sell while setting up, but then have 1 or 2 two days with set times that are open to public. make those days friday and saturday with the auction being saturday starting at 12 or 1. just my 2cents, that would make me far more likely to attend

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #452364 Fri Aug 02 2013 03:59 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
No whining here! I had a good time and loved seeing everyone and can't wait till next year! Perfect weather, lots and lots of goodies, and the best of all, awesome people. Thanks to everyone who attended and put on the event!

okoil1 #452366 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more.I stopped going for those very reasons.
It truly is a great group of people,all with a common interest and incredible items for sale,as well as a good knowledge base.
Just run at an increasingly odd & awkward time of the week that ends with an auction 2 days later?

I'd really like to see it be a Thu-Fri.-Sat. show including the auction,with Sunday being the go home day.

Alas,this yearly rant will fall on deaf ears,so I'll just continue to sit here at work and wait for the photos from those who went....sigh.

Cold Pizza #452367 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:12 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
To these naive ears this is total CTO/Columbus dejavu!!!
I'm totally new to this. But the same complaints for two of the largest shows going. It borders on a joke.

Notchcad, I'm just curious. When did you arrive and when did you leave? I'm only asking from a scientistic perspective.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #452372 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If the reason for shows like these being held on these days,is because the older retired crowd doesn't have to work,then that is a very narrow minded thought process.

They can certainly attend a weekend show as well,which also allows the younger working crowd to attend also.
The promoters are shooting themselves in the foot by making it more difficult for the working/family crowd to attend,like me & my 3 nephews.

This scenario reminds me of the old Chicago Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz,who single handedly denied TV airing rights and nearly killed Chicago hockey as we know it.
It wasn't until decades later when he died,and his son Rocky took over and turned it all around 180°.
The team became so fan & family friendly,it not only turned the team around financially & with loyalty & enthusiasm,but the entire sport of Hockey as well.
Today everyone is a winner.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Steven C. #452373 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:33 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I arrived Monday around 2. And left today at 830am. 12 hour drive without stops and/or problems. I could have never gotten everything done an taken care of if it started Thursday. And certainly couldn't use Sunday to come home. If something happened then I wouldn't be able to make it to work Monday. And the truck and trailer would still be full Monday if I didn't have the weekend to unload and get back to normal. It all boils down to planning for the show. Ask around and find out when to go.

Steven C. #452374 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:34 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
This is one of the reasons I did not attend, Early early people coming and by the time the show really starts, most are gone. It seems to be a Old gas- vendor buyers only show now. Its tough to control, but why no rules on starting time? Clinton, you could have a good time in a hail storm.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #452376 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to say that cto was controlled very well this year. The show started at 4:00pm on Thursday and ended sat. There was no early vending ask the people who tried in the parking lot. From what I understand it didn't end well for them. I think Iowa is a great show but giving up a week is tough to do.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Craig Osbeck #452379 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:50 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
This was my 24th in a row (and I'm 40). My opinion based upon experience is the Thursday/Friday show with Friday night can auction and Saturday general auction was optimal. Sure, people still arrived on Wednesday. One benefit of Friday being the last show day was that there seemed to be more local foot traffic looking for entry level items.

Different formats work better for others. With the older format I could take wed-Friday off work rather than taking a full week or Tuesday-Thursday (minimum) as it has been for 15 years.

One aspect that may have contributed to more Sunday/Monday arrivals this year than normal could have been Dan's Saturday auction in Wichita, I personally know a handful that just drove on into Des Moines from Wichita.....regardless it still needs to be shortened. I was finished buying by 9:00am Wednesday.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

s932 #452381 Fri Aug 02 2013 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I normally don't comment on this stuff but I hear the same complaints and/or other complaints every year no matter what day it is suppose to start on or end on. Nobody is ever happy. Is there an ideal solution? I am guessing not. Maybe it needs to be a one day show with vendors in a controlled area selling from say 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Show is then over. No auctions, no room to room ect. Would I like that? Heck no but you would have more control. No matter when it is I will adapt and enjoy the show. It is one of my favorite events of the year.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #452382 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:06 PM
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Hoosier is a whirlwind and It's a Gas is a 1.5 day show both are a lot of fun. The guys in Columbia have perfected the "efficiency of an oil and gas show".

keithia #452383 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: keithia
I normally don't comment on this stuff but I hear the same complaints and/or other complaints every year no matter what day it is suppose to start on or end on. Nobody is ever happy. Is there an ideal solution? I am guessing not. Maybe it needs to be a one day show with vendors in a controlled area selling from say 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Show is then over. No auctions, no room to room ect. Would I like that? Heck no but you would have more control. No matter when it is I will adapt and enjoy the show. It is one of my favorite events of the year.

Well said.. I had a great time and added a lot of new stuff to my collection and can't wait for next year!!!

Last edited by Esse's Garage; Fri Aug 02 2013 05:07 PM.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
keithia #452396 Fri Aug 02 2013 05:19 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Keithia/Esse's, I appreciate your optimism and willingness to go with the flow - I should probably try to do that too smile.

I, like OKoil, have been going annually for 20+ years (perhaps you have too?). I've experienced it with a better timeline in the past. It didn't take all week, there was a crowd of non-vending customers at the show buying, and your costs to do the event were far less as you don't have a week's motel, meals, and lost wages. Curious if some of you like Notchcad were selling or just buying/picking up/delivering? If I weren't selling, and had a flexible work schedule I would care less when the show was - I'd buzz in for 1-2 days to shop and head out (although if timing were shorter, I'd stay for the auction too!). As for controlling it- just don't open the lot until the show starts! In the end, you are right that nothing is going to please everyone - and we'll all keep coming back. However, if some changes were made - it could be so much bigger and in my opinion - better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved