Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41229 Wed Mar 09 2005 08:36 AM
D
daka Offline OP
OP Offline
D
OK guys, PLEASE don't flame me.
I'm new to this....
I am looking for a gas pump to be used as a display in my garage.
I am "toying" with the idea of making one.
Shouldn't be to hard to make out of plywood with some original parts, nozzle, hose, hose hanger(?) face (without mechanism) and a replica globe...
I'm a pretty good cabinet maker.
It just needs to look like a pump.
So, whadda' ya' think!
I'd really rather not put $1500 into a restored pump when I can use those $ for my cars....
daka

84 Jag/Chev 350/325hp
87 Porsche 911 Targa
95 Isuzu Rodeo
00 Bmw 323cic
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#41230 Wed Mar 09 2005 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Daka, if you're gonna buy all the original and/or repro parts, manufacture some parts to make it look like a gas pump, you may as well buy an unrestored pump for a couple of hundred bucks, and it'll cost the same but look real.
Unless it is the wood work you like...
Just my 2 cents,
Claes

#41231 Wed Mar 09 2005 08:53 AM
D
daka Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If I could find a descent pump reasonably, I would do that. But, it seems that all the pumps that I liked were too expensive or the owner wouldn't ship it. (I don't need or even want the "guts")
I figure I could make one for about $100 worth of cabinet grade plywood and make some round "corners" and just use some hose, hanger, and fake faces.
Probably $200 -300 finished and painted!
and NO SHIPPING !

84 Jag/Chev 350/325hp
87 Porsche 911 Targa
95 Isuzu Rodeo
00 Bmw 323cic
#41232 Wed Mar 09 2005 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Daka
Its a free country, so don't let anyone give you a hard time, no flaming guys! Like Claes said, by the time you buy a few parts to make it look real, you are going to be into it just as deep, original pumps can still be found for $50-$200, a little patience and digging is all it takes. If you want to build something nice, you could do an island display cabinet, maybe 18' x 22" x 60-72" tall, give it glass doors and sides, and put a globe on top, they look awesome, and closely represent cabinets used on islands to display misc items to customers. Bottom line, do what makes you happy, you don't need to qualify what you want with anyone thats going to give you a hard time. If you need any more help, please ask, or just email me.

------------------
Good Luck on the Hunt
Lance / The Pogo Man

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

#41233 Wed Mar 09 2005 08:54 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Okay we won't flame you, but we might burn you at the stake.

Let's look at this objectively.

How much of your time and materials will it take for you to build a wooden pump. Then add the cost of the real accessories that you're going to need to try and make it look somewhat like a real pump. Add it up.

Then say you could find a decent real electric pump for a couple of hundred bucks that is fairly complete. Let's say that you display it just as it is for awhile until you can get around to restoring it. Now you have a real pump.

Eventually you take it apart, strip it, clean it, paint it and polish and now you have a collectible pump. What did that cost?

As an investment what is going to be worth more in the long run? From a practical standpoint, how much difference is there really in the cost? What's the difference between the actual cost (your time and the materials) and the ultimate value? These are some questions worth asking yourself.

If you want a wooden piece that resembles a gas pump I would save your time and buy one of the CD holder or storage cabinet pumps that they sell on ebay. If you want to customize it than add some real brand decals.

Otherwise I would look for an affordable raw pump that you could display as is until you get enough money, time or good friends to restore it.

It think that a pump like this displays nicely as is and it cost me $100.00

Now this is just my opinion and if you're looking for opinions about gas pumps, you've come to the right place!

C Cragg
#41234 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:07 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
You know what opinions are like don't you? We'll we got plenty of them around here
I agree with the original thing. I think you will be happier in the long run and your money will be better spent.
I bought my first pump for $200 in a hardware store! Yep, a hardware store. I told a buddy of mine that I was looking for an old pump, he said, "I saw one over at the hardward store".
You will be shocked at how many pumps are around you. You never see them until you start looking, then they pop out.
I have seen several in that area. (even in the Carolinas on ebay that were pretty cheap!) A road trip is always fun.
Just relax and keep an eye out, ask people you know to look. You'll find something cool!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#41235 Wed Mar 09 2005 09:09 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Go for the real one, they are available reasonable if you look hard enoughAnd are patient.

Now I think this would be real different if you can do woodgrain paint. Do a real one, woodgrain the paint, make sure you cant open it easy, kkep it locked.

Now you can drive everyone crazy telling them you did it with wood and they will wonder how you got it so close!!

#41236 Wed Mar 09 2005 10:44 AM
P
P
Daka,
You did not say what kind of pump. I would be tough doing a visible wouldnt it?

#41237 Wed Mar 09 2005 04:03 PM
C
C
Add another two cents to the list.

I have to agree with the other postings - go for the real thing. It takes some time and patience...but you can find them. Doesn't always have to be at a petro/gas show. They show up at other places too. (I usually see them at automotive swap meets.)

Unless you want a specific model/style... keep an open mind. I'm sure that you'll find one. (Probably when you least expect it...and maybe better than you expected too.)

------------------
Always do right-this will gratify some and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Always do right-this will gratify some and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
#41238 Wed Mar 09 2005 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Living here in the great PNW we see fewer and fewer old gas stations and old gas pumps, but they are out there. When I was in the service we got to jump into central Florida all the time. I remember alot of little towns that had older equiptment. Now I realize that the 70's were a long time ago, but if it were me I would be driving those rural roads. Never can tell what will jump up and bite you. Oh by the way I will trade one volcano(Mt.St. Helens) for a good pump. You have to ship her home yourself. I live less than 40 miles by road and 15 miles as the crow flies from the mountain. Can see her from my front yard.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#41239 Wed Mar 09 2005 06:24 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This is going the way of that "Visible Bowl Pump" post. What I mean is that we probably aren't going to convince someone that isn't vested in the real thing to convert to our religion.

But since we all love to argue for the sake of the argument, let me finish my thoughts on my previous post with another picture of my cheap Flying A pump and some statistics.

Here's the cost tally on this one

Raw Pump as found $100.00
Repop globe and holder $70.00
Repop decals $30.00
Ad glass $30.00
Misc. & Shipping $30.00

Total Cost $260.00

That's a cheap date and it's the real deal. Will you find a pump like that for that price tomorrow? Probably not, but if you're somewhat patient one will turn up. May cost you $200.00 or $250.00. I could show you four or five more examples of different pumps that cost me from FREE to $200.00 that would work. So with a little persistence you could probably get a real pump, buy what you would have to buy for a wood pump and have something of value to a collector.

Okay, that's my last shot on this one and we all know the value of free advice!

C Cragg
#41240 Thu Mar 10 2005 05:27 AM
D
daka Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey Guys,
If someone could point me to a real pump that looked halfway descent for $200 to 300 I'd jump at it, and perhaps eventually restore it, but it seems from the auctions on e-b that even the rusted junk is hundreds of $, then there is the shipping another few hundred...
I don't want to be a collector (of gas pumps) I have enough collections of stuff already.

84 Jag/Chev 350/325hp
87 Porsche 911 Targa
95 Isuzu Rodeo
00 Bmw 323cic
#41241 Thu Mar 10 2005 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
deja vu all over again

#41242 Thu Mar 10 2005 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Daka:

Welcome to the madness . . .

If you're interested, I have a nice Bennett 756 that I'd be willing to part with. Vintage 1948 to 1951. Only $350.00.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want photos. It's in my storage building, but I could get some shots of it this weekend for you.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#41243 Thu Mar 10 2005 10:42 AM
P
P
DITO'S DAKA

I dont need another hobbie either. If someone here has a visible pump for a couple of hundred bucks, that is not a rust bucket or has potential, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have just never found one and I am not holding my breath.

I know some of you guys live for the hunt, cool, I am glad for you. But I don't. I have other fish to fry, I just want a pump and be done with it.
Another two cents worth!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved