Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4581 Tue Mar 01 2005 04:45 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys and gals, I am new to the old pump stuff but I would like to purchase one. I don't require an original or original restored pump. And I can not afford to put that kind of money out for basicely a lawn ornament. I have found a couple of reproductions out there (I am only interested in the Visible bowl style) but WOW they are expensive.
I really don't care what material it is made of or how close to a perfect reproduction it is, I just want something that will resemble a pump from the house/street and maybe be able to take some pictures with my car sitting with. I like the looks, you know?
Any help would be appriciated,
Thank you

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4582 Tue Mar 01 2005 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get creative with some sheetmetal or irrigation size PVC.
I have driven by a ranch many times thinking I saw a pump, one place it was a TREE STUMP, another a HOT WATER heater painted red !

#4583 Tue Mar 01 2005 06:19 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Dick. Are you sure that it wasn't a beer bottle with a straw??? LOL. (uh oh, thats probably good for a phone call)

Hey pump jockey, welcome to the site. Look around. Finding a pump can be very easy sometimes. Then you get, not only the thrill of the hunt, but also the opportunity to restore it, however you like it. You get to meet a lot of good people, you go to shows & swap meets, buy a bunch of stuff. Heck, before long, people start visiting you to see your collection. It's a great place to be.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

#4584 Tue Mar 01 2005 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BEWARE OF THUNDER,
he drives a TRASH TRUCK, [not a trashED truck], trying to haul off GOOD junk !
UH Jeff ?
Dick
LOL = Laughing Out Loud !!!!

Thunder just sent me pic's of his trucks, they are THRASH-ED TRUCKS !
But, WE all got to make a living.
Still LOL ! ! !

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 03-01-2005).]

#4585 Tue Mar 01 2005 07:16 PM
Z
Z
I would e-mail you some pics but you don't have it listed. Finished or do it yourself kit form.

#4586 Wed Mar 02 2005 10:27 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks guys, but I was hoping to get a little closer than a painted water heater.
The pic's Zip's has are real nice, but I bet they cost an arm and a leg. I dare to ask, how much? Are those reproductions? Are they full scale?

#4587 Wed Mar 02 2005 10:41 AM
C
C
Hey pump jockie, I'm from Wilmington! There is a good swap meet at the Dayton Airport Expo Center. I'm not sure when the next one is.

#4588 Wed Mar 02 2005 11:53 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, it might help if someone knew your "budget" for this visible pump project. Visible pumps are not the least expensive pumps to buy, but bargains can be had. Gas shows are probably your best bet as sellers haul these pumps there and really don't want to take them home. If you are looking for a visible for $100, better forget it. But I have seen decent "backyard" restorations at shows for $1,000, or about the average price for an unrestored visible.

#4589 Wed Mar 02 2005 04:26 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I would like to go to the show, If anyone knows more about it, please tell.
$1000.00 bucks is quite a chunk of change. I was hoping to find something under $500.00 tops. More like around $300-$400 or am I just dreaming. You would think there would be a market for something like that.
Does anyone ever have there real nice pump vandalized? That would really stink if you spent all that money and time if you had to restore it yourself and them either by accident like a flying rock from the mower or kids and there baseballs, or someone would just rip it off or beat the heck out of it just for meaness.
Thanks all!!!

#4590 Wed Mar 02 2005 06:11 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, don't give up hope. I had a G&B 176 that was missing the cylinder and everything else above it. Skins were rough but restorable and the base needed replacing. I think I sold it for less then your looking to spend. So don't get discouraged. There IS a pump for you out there.

#4591 Wed Mar 02 2005 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, you do buy a pump that is missing the cylinder, you can put your BUG ZAPPER in it, or get a rock/hail screen to hold the top up.
Dick

#4592 Thu Mar 03 2005 10:25 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Gary, Dont give up? Let me see, you had one not to long ago that~
1)Did not have a glass Cylinder
2) Did not have the measuring gage
3) Did not have the top cover
4) Did not have the globe
5) Did not have a globe holder
6) The sheet metal around the base had to be replaced
7) The base (plate or mounting base?) had to be replaced
And I could get this jewel for around $500?
If I brought that home my wife would use it for an enima, sideways, on me!!
There has got to be a better way, Please say there is,
How much would all of the other stuff cost to get it to the point that I could start painting and putting it outside. I have found some globes for sale thru this site, and I am sure they are just beautiful, but man the best price I saw was approx. $80. And I have not even found a glass or even plastic cylinder. Can you find them? Even reproduction?
I thought my car hobbie was expensive, It dont hold a candle to this one.
Any help/guidance/direction would be appriciated.
Thanks guys

#4593 Thu Mar 03 2005 11:32 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, actually I sold it for around $200 (I think). But I also did not mention it needed a pump handle and the "To Car/To Storage" part was missing. LOL You are interested in a pump that is at the top of the "must have" part of this hobby. Demand for it keeps the pricing up. If you are in the car hobby, you should know that finding, accumalating needed parts, and restoring is a very expensive endever. Same as with a pump. I'm pretty sure you won't find a collectible car in a barn (not sure what genre you have) and immediately take it driving and showing it off. Lots of work, and money, will go into it first. Just to get it roadworthy...not show worthy. That would take even more time and money. Same with a visible pump. Now you may run across one on an old farm and talk the owner out of it for a 6 pack. Chances are it will still need a lot of work to be presentable and probably no globe. I surely do not mean to discourage you and I do think you will eventually find a decent pump. I'm just relaying actual facts, but they are not carved in stone. Put the word out to your car buddies and tell them to tell their friends. Run an ad in your local "looking for old gas pump". It would NOT be a miracle that you found one like you want. It's pretty probable if you keep at it. Good luck.

#4594 Thu Mar 03 2005 12:10 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Pump Jockie, I hope this lifts your spirits. This pump was FREE from a farmer. We used his tractor to pull it from the bushes where it had fallen over and lay for decades. It was pretty rough to say the least. About like that G&B 176 I was telling you about. In fact, the same parts were missing or needed replacing as that 176. Even though it was FREE, I still had to sink a ton of money into it, but as for the results...you be the judge.

#4595 Thu Mar 03 2005 01:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Pump Jockie, Im a 23 year old college student here in TX, so you know im always broke but I still have 6 pumps and find new ones all the time. The key is waiting and looking. The type of pump you want is a VERY desired pump second only to clock faced pumps. It would be like saying you want an origonal Shelby Mustang for 300.00 tops. It may happen but dont hold your breath man. Part of the allure of this hobby is filling up your truck, packing a sack lunch, and spending the afternoon in the country and small towns hunting for pumps.
Maybe you should consider an electric pump, circa 1936-1960. there are countless pumps of this era that are not only fantastic to look at, but can also be had for your price range, plus (and most important of all) they are origonal. Just hit the back roads and dont give up, why just last week I found a Tokheim 36B here in my town I must have driven by 100 times and never seen.
Keep in touch with the fine folks here on this site, they taught me every thing I know and before you know it that pump will be in your backyard, or with a little wine and roses for your wife, in your living room.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved