Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4626 Thu Mar 10 2005 07:44 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Lets turn this around.

Pump Jockie, pretend someone asked you about a Model T or A (Whatever it is that you work on most).

They said they not looking for a 100 pt car, not a runner, just a nice car mostly complete for their yard, like a yard ornament.

Your turn now, what would you tell them after they said they just cannot find them, and they dont want to pay an arm and a leg for one???

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#4627 Thu Mar 10 2005 08:43 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree, let's get this into perspective. I've got a few nice pumps that unfortunately I had to pay the going rate for but I,m a car guy too with a few nice rides. I've, got 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket. I don't want much, just Looking for a 67 big block vette, 98% complete and never been hit. Come on some one out there can help me out right????? Oh I forgot, matching numbers would be my preference.

#4628 Thu Mar 10 2005 08:55 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I am not trying to joke in that post, quite serious.

What nobody mentioned perhaps is that globes generally are not included with a pump but it does happen.

With any project the most complete straight piece you can get for you money is the way to go, cheaper in the long run...

#4629 Fri Mar 11 2005 10:23 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys. If you wnat a numbers matching car with all of the guts, then you must have the intention of driving it arent you? I dont have any intentions of pumping a single drop of gas with a pump, hum!!

Now if you just wanted a body fo a car to sit out back, then you can get the sheet metal or fiberglass panels and make it look like a car. Just dont hope to go for a spin. Its a lot cheaper to. It just depends on what you are after.

Some are after museum quality pieces no mater the cost or effort. Cool

Some are just looking for something that gives you that warm fuzzy from the back kitchen window and the street. You know a smile, and say that looks kinda neat, cool

#4630 Fri Mar 11 2005 10:56 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
a guy i know around here told me he finished his new garage & wanted an old gas pump out front.
he asked me how much for a tall (visible) pump, i said tooo much so he said OK & went in & built a NICE LOOING (THING) that resembles a gas pump AND IT IS NICE. globe on top with his business name on it.

it is really nice & he takes pictures of his cars next to it etc... & I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE WAS OFFERED GOOOOD MONEY FOR THE THING by another guy i know.

built for about 100 bucks & people are always complementing him on that work of art!

i dont even need another visible but if there is a decent 1 or 2 or 3 for under a grand within an hours drive from here ill take all right now! ---- i know they are still standing on farms for much less & ill be out hunting them down this spring fer sure!!!

#4631 Tue Mar 15 2005 10:36 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, after all this it simply comes down to this.
I dont need or really want a real VISIBLE BOWL pump.
Why do you ask?
Well I dont want it to get messed up sitting outside. Year in and year out, the kids and there bikes, balls, gravel to throw, the lawn mower to throw rocks and sticks at it, the dog to _iss on it, someone to be tempted to steal it, the wed eater, the rain, snow, hail, lighting (boy that would be a lighting rod wouldnt it).
Any way, yes I would like one that is original for inside the house, one that is protected and looks great, but my first priority is the one I would like to have sitting outside.
How much would you estimate it would cost, TOTAL, from buying the pump (an original VISIBLE PUMP)to getting it completed and setting it up? Please I would love to know, just a SWAG would be helpful. That way I know if I could take the above mentioned chances on an original or just go with what I thought would be the best way and that would be with a replica.

You guys have a lot of background in this and I always look to the ones with experience and knowlege first for guidance and clarity on any subject that I dont. So any help truly is appriciated.

Thanks a bunch guy's,
Pump Jockie

#4632 Tue Mar 15 2005 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
10K plus or minus 9K. SWAG Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#4633 Tue Mar 15 2005 12:23 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Too bad its not a small block chevy you are after, they make a plastic lightweight replica of them , for mockup!! No color choice though.

#4634 Tue Mar 15 2005 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah but they do cost a few $$$ which might fall out the cost window. Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#4635 Tue Mar 15 2005 03:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Exactly my point!! OP already knows you can buy real for less than repop (if you play your cards right), but then says if he got a real one that he would worry too much about!!

Got to wonder if the everyday car they have is kept in a concrete bunker!!

Most collectors either decide they have a safe place to display outside or not.

If you are going to lose sleep over something happening to a 200-1000 $ pump, dont leave anything outside!

Maybe someone knows where I can get a great cheap replica of a Cord automobile, need not run, just going to sit on the lawn..dont want to spend a lot on it..but I would like a choice of colors!!

#4636 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:20 PM
P
OP Offline
P
T roach, Thanks that really narrows it down.
Dodo, no thanks, ill pass on the small block chevy, I dont think it would look like a pump.
The cost window, I dont think $400-$500 is out of the question. Especially when I get a ballpark price of $10,000 +/- $9000.
Dodo, Again, how does anyone know what to spend on something when you get answers like the above? and to answer your question, the car is not sitting in a bunker. But then again it aint a pump or collectable.
Again I reiterate, I am not a collector, Dont have the time or inclination to be one.
I just like the looks of the pumps, dont you?

I can line you up with a fiberglass body of say a 34 ford, chevy, or any number of "repops" that people purchase. Are you interested?

Again, what REALISTICALLY can a person expect to spend on a VISIBLE BOWL PUMP restoration. I am just trying to justify it, is that hard to understand. I am not trying to compare it to a car, you guys are.

HELP!!

#4637 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get a real one without a cylinder. Put a hail guard on it. Rattle can it. Decal it and repop globe. Bolt it down and knock the threads off. DONE!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#4638 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:27 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Keithia, Cool, do you have any pics? how much? I know its a dumb question but what do you mean by Rattle can it, an knock of the threads?
Where do you get a cylinder?
Thanks

#4639 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Pump Jockie, YOU compared leaving a pump out to leaving a 63 split window out...

Now the real cost starts at 0000.000 and goes up to 10K. But we already told you that.

Many pumps have been found that display nice as is, some even have globes.. its just like buying an old car. Repop if you cannot find the piece. Original if you can afford it, which may be cheaper than repop.

You should easily get most of a real one less glas for 500, or less that is mostly complete, but we already mentioned that.

We told you all that, sounds like you really want a repo mfged just for you with color choice at a price cheaper than cost of mfg!!

Try building one, may be the only way you will realize that....

#4640 Tue Mar 15 2005 05:39 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
You dont get a cylinder, that what we are trying to tell you!! Cylinder is worth more than the rest of it!! And no cheap substitute!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved