Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#44524 Tue Nov 18 2008 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ahhh, interesting. That must be an early can in that style. I have two here with Purest Pennsylv... and they are like the latter ones I have. Golden Lion is embossed on the Golden Lion can top lid but has Gilmore on the bottom.

[This message has been edited by GILMORE (edited 11-18-2008).]

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#44525 Tue Nov 18 2008 11:11 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Man, you guys are really serious! I used to collect beer cans then handy oilers and I would look for small differences, but this is beyond belief.
This is not meant to be critical, as I am just sitting back and reading this in disbelief. Jokeingly, I am glad I never got into collecting cans.
My question is, when the cans you have are put up for auction (as, lets face it, everything we have now, will be) will the bidders really care if the can is full or whether the lid is correct?
As I have said in the past there are no pump police out there to tell someone their restoration is correct or not, there also are no can police to tell us the same. The biggest thing is not whether the can is correct, but is it original or a reproduction. That is the most important thing.

Love this hobby, but.....

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#44526 Wed Nov 19 2008 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say some see the can as half full & some see it as half empty.......i have never collected cans, however i find this topic interesting as this info can be used to preserve accurate history or reference books, & years down the road when these cans do come up for auction they can refer to the books or this thread & if the buyer is smart & putting a GREAT collection together, these differences will & should make a difference......jmo

#44527 Wed Nov 19 2008 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis,
Some Sinclair cans have embossed lids. I couldn't tell you which ones though. Never paid that much attention.
Tara

#44528 Wed Nov 19 2008 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's what the embossed lid looks like on the Golden Lion can...

Man... I guess I am the odd one out here. Everyone I know would surely take an intact original embossed lid over a new one for the sake of collecting... we're purists I guess.

Sorry Jack, for bringing so much disbelief to your eyes. Wasn't trying to be the "can police" or whatever but...

#44529 Wed Nov 19 2008 08:34 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Roadrelics, my advice to anyone with a half-full can is to find some of the same oil, fill it all the way up and have it re-lidded. However, if it is half-empty, he should drain it completely and give the oil to someone with a half-full can. :-)

[This message has been edited by tagree0 (edited 11-19-2008).]

Tom
#44530 Wed Nov 19 2008 10:02 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
WOW, I didn't know I'd be opening this big of a can of worms, er oil...! lol....Have a good day all.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
#44531 Wed Nov 19 2008 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No can of worms being opened, just good info!
I am sure this is what Jim had in mind for this website, no ones getting mad just opinions and people learning info. I learned something new on this topic.

I will go back to my globe comparison... repop body and original doesn't matter to me. To some it does... does it keep them from not buying the globe? I would guess not but could. Would I like to have an original body? Yes, but will a repop keep me from buy it? No. I have seen original body globes bring the same price with a repop body with the same lenses. Just a matter of what you like and what it's selling for I guess.

Good topic though!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#44532 Wed Nov 19 2008 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOLDEN LION w/ a #5 top. Does anyone have #1,#2 & #4 ? GILMORE made 6 or 7 cans, how many different lids did they use ?

SINCLAIR embossed ends.

Fred Stokes collected 10,000 + qt cans. I doubt if he could tell us how many different top & bottom lids were used.

GILMORE email me.

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, I re-lid
4oz.[2 1/8"dia.], 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. I have 1qt S.A.E. 20, S.A.E. 40W, Plain or bank lids. No S.A.E.'s on 1gal. & 5qt.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 11-19-2008).]

#44533 Wed Nov 19 2008 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes- only a GREAT discussion going on here. Just opinions on the topic and info being shared, hopefully.

If you want to hear/watch a good argument- ask a group of matchbook, some prefer matchCOVER, collectors what they think is more valuable... a nice matchbook w/the book of matches removed or a nice matchbook w/book of matches intact. LOL

Jarvis- I'd say I have never seen nor heard of anyone not buying 13 1/2 lenses/globes because the globe body wasn't original CAPCO, etc... I know of people that take and put the original lenses they are selling into newer bodies and keep the original bodies. Which pretty much proves your point. The next buyer isn't really affected by the body not being old.

One could argue that globe lenses really never have an original body as they are inserted and not manufactured that way. Different story for a one-piece/solid glass globe though.

#44534 Wed Nov 19 2008 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If anyone is interested... here's my matchbook collection. I know nothing about matchbook collecting to answer anything. Just collect ones with Gilmore. First three are really hard to find, last two are more common. The flat one has had the book removed, the others have full books of matches.

#44535 Wed Nov 19 2008 05:02 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great thread...just thought I would expand on it with what I do with can lids. On the left is an original NOS lid...very typical of what would be found on a crimped seam can. On the right is an identical NOS lid after I stamped it with a SAE grade designation using original dies. I have a half dozen different grades that I can stamp and have stamped literally hundreds of these for myself and others. In my opinion a lid stamped with the weight designation looks better than a plain lid.

Kevin

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
#44536 Wed Nov 19 2008 05:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is great!! I think this is something that really needed talking about. What a range of opinions.
Gulf, Sinclair, Shell, Conoco and Richfield were all big into embossing lids. Cities Service also, but they tended to use product names such as Koolmotor. I'm sure there are more but I've yet to realize them except for the Gilmore products that I've learned about.
I, like many people, have a budget and that will dictate what I can afford. Everyone has their preferences and guidlines, natually. I believe in doing homework when I can. I watch a lot of cans on FBay just to see what happens. Trends do lean toward better prices on full cans if everything is equal. Lids do seem to matter as well. Please don't get me wrong, there are also other factors that figure in.....rarity and availabilty is a biggie. But take a RARE empty can and an equally nice condition full can, the full one will USUALLY win the bigger money. So when it comes to the financial end of things Tara had the order right. DB was right about those million and a half Falcon cans but I have one because it's another can that needed to be aquired. Oddly enough, it was this can that started me on the path to learning about lids. At the end of the day, I buy what I like and what I can afford even if sometimes it's outside the parameters of my collecting habits........Happy collecting.......Dave

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved