Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The Sinclair with the "chicken" on it belongs to canosaurus on here.

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
It was sad to see the T-53 repop Pegasus at the show! It had a small handwritten sign on it that proclaimed it was real and that the year of manufacture was in 1953 and was made by the Texlite sign company as denoted by the T-53!
I heard rumors that it sold twice on Friday and was promptly returned each time by the buyers. I suppose someone enlightened them about their purchase!
It was very easy to tell that it was a repop when you looked at it. The porcelain lines were very uneven, and the metal was very thick. Poorly done, even in the world of repops!

Kevin, I am wondering what the difference is between the T-53 you speak of and the Pegasus you had purchased and brought by Our booth wondering about the originality of? There were 3 for sure- Oldgassers present if not four who all concurred and said “repop” based on the following:
frail looking tail support
super low price for a Pegasus of this size and condition
and the fact the guys other signs were rusty backed Argentine *****
Surely when you list it on your auction- as you stated you would do, I am curious to know
How you will present it to the bidding public…….
Real or repop?????
Just wondering

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Differences in the 2 were pretty obvious. The t-53 had no brackets on the back and had a black back. It was also very crudely made with irregular and wavy lines and was made on a very heavy piece of metal that looked like it was about 1/8f an inch thick.
The one that I bought has great worksmanship, brackets on the back, and is of very high quality, even if it is a repop?
I asked Dan Matthews and he thought it was real, and with the price they had tagged on it, it was worth it, even if it is a repop! The vendor did have that Argentine looking Sunray sign, but shouldn't really reflect on this sign? I asked him why so low, and he replied that he bought it online and just marked it up a little, as he didn't have a clue on its value.
I've been sending it to a few knowledgeable members, and asking for opinions, and so far there is no firm consensus?
I plan on keeping it until I know the real truth about it and if I do indeed find it to be a repop, I will mark the back of it as such and sell it as one. High quality repops bring enough that I'm sure I'd get my money back, just like I told you at Columbia.
I doubt whether or not I will have a firm consensus on it by the time of my sale, but be aware, I would not try to pass it off as an original on an unsuspecting public! Nothing p**es me off more than the repops out there being sold as originals and you'll NEVER find me doing it.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i was standing right there when Kevin bought it... it was night & day different from the T-53 offered at the show. I would be interested to hear what conclusion you come to Kevin, please keep us posted.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with Bryce I was also there and the sign passes the feel test. I would lean more toward real than fake. I had a friend with me who buys and resells and wanted it. Only reason he didn't buy is he was afraid he couldn't resell even after what Dan said.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
post photos of it.....both t-53 horses i seen were reproductions, and i didn't see 3 or 4....I know of at least 2 different t-53's and Columbia was the first time i had seen this newer better made one...can't remeber seeing brackets on them either

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I 2nd roadrelics!

I am failing the Petroliana_101 class because of this sign ... smile

Very confusing one, indeed!

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the only original t-53 i've ever seen is on a cookie cutter... the small repo's i have seen are easy to tell if repo or not...usually the white border around perimeter is to wide, i don't beleive original small horses of this size had these wider white borders.....i beleive the T-53 and wide white borders were repo'd from a cookie cutter onto a smaller horse...

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I wish someone would come up with something more factual as to actual documentation or verification when/where the pegasus in question was manufactured. I am not referring to the one marked T-53.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Something similar to this booklet about T-53 would be great:

eBay: 261374469484

I would be happy to buy such booklet.

Hen

P.S. Many thanks to Dave for publishing the "Mobil Pegasus Topper" booklet.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You see Kevin - Even the "best of us" get fooled from time to time!

Maybe now we see eye to eye - Or should we bring this up for another 3 years and question your knowledge and reputation time and time again for your being fooled/mistaken one time?

LOL

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved