Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
I bought this sign yesterday at auction.
It's curved single sided Heavy brass...18 X 25 Inches...
Says T.P. Haskell, Men's Furnishings Custom shirts to order.
Sign maker is Blachmer & Newton(possibly BlacKmer)(see closeup)
Only info I could find is a TP Haskell lived in Boston Mass around 1890-1910...He live in a northborough historical house. I cant find anything on haskell? Or the sign makers??? Any help would be MUCH appreciated...

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Haskell seems like a fairly common name, could it be an English sign?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I was thinking the same thing, english origin. Search for the sign maker and likely you'll discover the origin is UK.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, Nice piece. I like that you posted this here. It gives me something to think/learn about, because I know very little about brass signage. I'm not sure I can really help but I'll ramble anyways.I think Neil is pointing in the right direction. I get a English feel from it too-not that that means anything. Looks like it was on a big stone or concrete column, like in a department store maybe? Or on a good sized stone column on the front of a building. I would think from a good size city, anyways. It was a pretty good size press that made that sign I would think too. Furnishings wasnt a term used for clothing very often in the U.S. that I'm aware of. Seems early. I'd guess 1900? Are you thinking real early-like pre 1890? Being brass, it really had to wiggle through the cracks to make it through both wars. Especially if it was in England...Hmmm

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Yes I too thought it might be foreign because of Men's Furnishings.
I googled,asked, and binged the names and makers names...
Even if it was english you would think something would come up?
On ask.com I did find an article about a TP Haskell that lived in a prominent house in boston. I believe he wrote a book about the house and its history around 1910...
here is a link to the article
TP Haskell article

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was thinking I wouldnt imagine the need for that sign to be more than a one off or so and then I just noticed that it wasnt pressed. Rather two pieces sandwiched. My point being B&N might have been a small shop. I wonder how they cut the brass? Beautiful craftsmanship. Check out how the artist used thee different fonts just for the E's

Last edited by JimT; Fri Jan 24 2014 07:35 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I believe these signs were acid etched to get the depth of the letters? I have a few insurance signs, both aluminum and Brass that are made in a similar fashion.. Most people see a brass sign and make the mistake of "restoring" it by polishing it to a mirror finish.. I love the character of aged brass, that is a look that's very tough to duplicate.. Very cool sign!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved