Print Thread
#45747 Mon Jun 14 2004 02:28 PM
P
PLUM_72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
What is the best way to strip porcelain emamel off a door? Im restoring a '54 Tok 39A pump. While stripping the MANY layers of paint, One of the doors that was on the pump has a white porcelain coating. Since it was only one door I imagine somewhere along the way the door was swapped out. crazy...

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#45748 Mon Jun 14 2004 03:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not a pump expert, but I would find another door. Somebody might be looking for a white porcelain door. Was their any pure oil company or Union 76 decals on the pump. Or was their any other decals on it.
You should be able to find another door.
Good luck
Nels

#45749 Mon Jun 14 2004 03:25 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
PLUM 72, We usually just lightly rough up the porcelain doors with our sand blaster. Then we do the necessary body work, skimming the entire door. D/A, prime and paintwith base/ clear. That's the way it's done here. Paul

#45750 Mon Jun 14 2004 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Nels. If the porcelain is decent sell that door to someone that needs it and buy a painted door.

I believe the Pure pumps were red and white or blue and white. Marathon used all white porcelain pumps.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#45751 Mon Jun 14 2004 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most people shy away from a porcelain pump because they think you can't do anything with them. They are missing boat bad! Any professional sandblaster will have aluminum oxide media and that will remove the porcelain down to the bare metal. What you have then is a metal finish as good as the day it was made except where there was a chip in the porcelain then it is normally pitted from the weather. When I am restoring a pump from my pile I will grab a porcelain pump if it's the model I need because the body work goes extremely fast. My sandblaster primes all my panels as soon as they are blasted so the metal is never left bare.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
#45752 Tue Jun 15 2004 07:00 AM
P
PLUM_72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thanks for the replys! The door I have that is porcelain coated is not something that could be salvaged without painting it again. The door was dented, and scraped up pretty bad. Thanks!

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved