Next Thread
Print Thread
#512255 Sat Feb 08 2014 01:26 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Not quite Petroliana, so I will post this here. I am painting one of my bathrooms which has an old claw foot tub and decided I should try to clean it up. I have followed and read all the posts here about cleaning signs and wonder if there is any reason the same methods/cleaners wouldn't work on a tub. Anyone have any reason not to try? I only hesitate because its a bigger (and heavier) problem if it gets messed up. Its old and the porcelain isn't exactly shiny everywhere, but its not badly stained. Would just like to see if I can get some stains out and shine it up a bit. Any suggestions from those who have had success?
While Im at it, has anyone sprayed their with the enamel paint products available?
Thanks guys
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #512265 Sat Feb 08 2014 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I ran into a friend today. His company is called Classic Bathtubs. He restores tubs, tile, fiberglass showers etc.
It might be worth looking into having it re glazed if it is in bad shape. It can be made to look like new. It won't be the same because it is a glaze that they use not porcelain. Don't try the made for the homeowner products. They do not last. A good long lasting job is all based on the prep work and the products the company is using.

60wayne #512305 Sat Feb 08 2014 04:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Get some CLR from any home improvement place and a good scouring sponge, I've even used the finest steel wool you can get to. Will take some elbow grease and time but it's worth it, unless porcelain is worn through to metal don't have it glazed even by a professional it will never be the same.

Pete
63shelby #512316 Sat Feb 08 2014 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Restored Tubs are like Restored Signs, Coated w/ a Chemical or Clear Coating NOT PORCELAIN.

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks guys. I will give cleaning it a shot. Its not worn through, so maybe some scrubbing with various things will make it more presentable.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved