Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#514732 Mon Feb 17 2014 08:03 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi. I thought I'd post about a reproduction Evinrude sign that I bought recently. I live in Atlanta. I stumbled into a guy in Blue Ridge, GA named Shane that had some signs for sale. He had some nice porcelain signs, and also had what he claimed was a new old stock Evinrude sign, about 8' wide in a black wooden frame. I paid good money for it, but with the help of some friends eventually realized that it was a fake. I called the guy back and questioned him and he played dumb. Then a few weeks later a friend of mine went to his place to see what signs he had (to see if he was knowingly peddling fakes), and he had another Evinrude sign for sale just like the one I bought. Steer clear of Shane in Blue Ridge Georgia, and steer clear of Evinrude signs that look new :-\
There's a picture of a sign similar to the one I bought at this blog page:
http://junkersblog.com/2014/02/beware-fake-signs/

Take care,
Chad

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I have seen this sign on Craigslist advertized for $1200 but was very leery about it so I did not call about it.

60wayne #515160 Wed Feb 19 2014 09:02 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
few of these out there:
Belton Missouri

and in Sandusky, NY

Ozark MO

marxmobilgas #515247 Wed Feb 19 2014 05:22 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow, that's messed up, I've never seen that one re-popped. It's usually just the one with two men in a boat around sunset and the slogan "First in Outboards" below EVINRUDE.

Highway66 #515741 Fri Feb 21 2014 09:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that , I did not remember the name but I stopped in blue ridge back in the summer and he had what I thought was fake one then. I also saw another one like it in sweetwater TN.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #518426 Wed Mar 05 2014 04:12 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for all the replies. I saw another one in Adairsville, GA. It was not the Knapik Dealer sign, just a plain black one with a white water line like the one shown here:
http://junkersblog.com/forums/topic/another-fake-evinrude-sign-variation/

As I was researching real v/s fake ones, one key that I was reading was that the fake ones used a series of dots to draw the water line, but the real ones had actual waves.

As it turns out, there are fake ones with waves as well. The one I mentioned above in Adairsville had yellow waves, so I was thinking it was real. But the owner was nice enough to tell me that it was a repro.

So I don't know how the heck to tell real v/s fake. I guess the more rusty they are, the better :-]

Thanks
Chad
www.junkersblog.com

Last edited by funkytownantique; Wed Mar 05 2014 04:25 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
These signs have been around for a while...not new news.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #518567 Thu Mar 06 2014 09:55 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Mr. tbirdkid, is it not the purpose of this site to get information out there for people to know about things like this?
Not everyone knows about these signs or many other fakes that are out there. Especially newer collectors. Instead of chastising people for bringing this information forward, why don't you help with your vast knowledge and post here about all the fake and fantasy signs that you know about.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would concur with Mr porc-neon. Everyday we have 2-5 people welcomed onto the site as new members some are knowledgeable about collecting some are not. Knowledge is a good thing and it empowers you in collecting and this site can be a tremendous resource.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I do post on repro's Mr. Neon...Look and you will see...and its not because of my vast knowledge! Do the leg work and you shall find. Lots of useful infomation out there. Im sorry if you took my comment the wrong way.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #518579 Thu Mar 06 2014 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
mr tbird is constantly making a valiant effort to share his knowledge on phony items in the hobby. I see him post about it all the time. I think the issue here is that most of watchers cant believe people are still being taken on these evinrude signs. they have flooded the market and are at every turn in the hobby. I hate to hear that your money was swindled from you. it has happened to 99% of us collectors at one time or another. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.....ESPECIALLY ON A SIGN THAT LOOKS LIKE IT JUST CAME OUT OF A BOX.

Last edited by thermoman; Thu Mar 06 2014 10:49 AM.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
THERMOMAN #518585 Thu Mar 06 2014 11:07 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Well, I have not seen any floating around these parts, and I did a search on this site, this is the only thread on these that came up. You can't take anything for granted, so what if info gets repeated, there is always new people coming around. Reading the stories about Kyle Moore, it looks like he was always willing to help someone, repeating his knowledge.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wish Members would learn how to use this Site, better... Before making comments about other Members! (right now; the old adage of: "the pot calling the kettle black", could be directed towards me.... LOL)

It took me less than 10 seconds to find numerous threads on "Fake Evinrude Signage"...

Try using the "Goggle Search" in the box below and type in "fake Evinrude Signs"....:

Evinrude sign, real or fake?? - Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk

If it's marked "Desperate Sign Company, Wadsworth" I'd pretty much bet the house its a repop. This guy makes all kinds of them. Paper ...
www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number...
Fake Evinrude signs - Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk
Hi. I thought I'd post about a reproduction Evinrude sign that I bought recently. I live in Atlanta. I stumbled into a guy in Blue Ridge, GA named ...
www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number...