Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
sorry to hear - happens often with CL, newspaper ads etc. That has happened to us all. But on CL Always ask them to end the listing (some will and some will not) and then call/text first. Admittedly I have even called prior - got within 1 mile after 1.5hrs called the person again since I was close and others were offering more and telling person they were giving it away - it cost me more $ but I got the item. fun times.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use the $500.00 to send him a spank-a-gram!

You have more self control then me. Cause, I'd be sitting in jail right now....

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"Rule for Craigslist to live by" - if they won't pull the ad off craigslist after you have committed to purchasing the item, then they aren't worthy enough of your hard earned dollar and can't be trusted to still have the item when you show up. If the seller has any integrity, they will pull the ad. If they won't, move on to the next deal.

My father-in-law has been burned a number of times having to drive 1.5 - 2 hrs to get stuff only to show up and the seller has sold the item out from under him -- even when he has called prior to heading out to meet the person.

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: nochevys

I found a sign on craigslist yesterday.

That's the most important part of your post.

If you deal on craigslist your experience is the norm. I've learned if there is something I want on craigslist I better get in the car and go get it immediately. Not that his treatment of you is right...it just is what it is. He should have just told you first one here with the cash gets it.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: lando-4
"Rule for Craigslist to live by" - if they won't pull the ad off craigslist after you have committed to purchasing the item, then they aren't worthy enough of your hard earned dollar and can't be trusted to still have the item when you show up. If the seller has any integrity, they will pull the ad. If they won't, move on to the next deal.

Couldn't disagree more. I sell on craigslist routinely, I'm not pulling an ad just because Bucky said he's coming at 3 oclock to seal the deal. Buyers can equally lack integrity by saying they'll show up and never do.

The true rule for craigslist to live by is this....the first one to show up with cash gets the item. It's not ebay, it's a face to face venue for selling items. I believe the seller should just man up and be honest...I'm not holding this item for you neither will I pull the ad. I'll sell this item to the first person that shows up with cash. Pretty simple if you ask me.

S
S
Yes then theres the people that say be right over and never show up.Happens a lot .So now give me a time if your late im gone .But it sucks he sold it on you.I gave a guy a good deal then seen it on ebay .No more

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If you see something good on craigslist like others have said GO GET IT. The more time its up there the more exposure it gets and the higher the chance is you will not get it... I know you did not have the time which is understandable. Some people are very nice and will be more then happy to hold it others just want the money and they do not care who it comes from. With all the flippers and other collectors out there the competition is fierce!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The first pump I was going to get was a Wayne 70 2.5 hours away and I drove in my truck to get there and find out it was sold to "someone who said they were you" 20 min b4 getting there. $100 in gas and a grouchy ride home but it turned out great just a few weeks later when I picked up a much better Wayne 70 for less!
I feel your pain also but keep the great attitude because there are great things just around the corner and you miss them if your PO'd and soured.
I've had sooooooooo many more positive experiences with CL than negative and even the negative aren't really negative in a actual bad way, just a inconvenience.
Most of the time a trip failure like that can be turned around by rootin around the local town or towns for cool stuff.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What ever happened to your word and integrity?

Unfortunately when dealing with the general public, it's a ***** shoot. I have been in the apartment rental business for thirty years. They always say the best two days of your life is when you get into the business and when you sell and get rid of the headaches. But boy the stories you can tell !

I for the most part have had good luck with Craigslist both buying and selling. I have made many friend that have started with a call about something listed for sale.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

Couldn't disagree more. I sell on craigslist routinely, I'm not pulling an ad just because Bucky said he's coming at 3 oclock to seal the deal. Buyers can equally lack integrity by saying they'll show up and never do.

The true rule for craigslist to live by is this....the first one to show up with cash gets the item. It's not ebay, it's a face to face venue for selling items. I believe the seller should just man up and be honest...I'm not holding this item for you neither will I pull the ad. I'll sell this item to the first person that shows up with cash. Pretty simple if you ask me.

I must respectfully disagre. If I call and make arrangemets to buy it and I say I will be there by three, I would expect the person to hold the item. If I am not there by 3:00...then they should be able to sell it and tough luck to me. Otherwise your word is squat. And that's about all we have to measure ourselves..our word and our morals and values. Now, if you tell me from the start that it is first come first served..well, that's different. You take your chances.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom,
That is a horrible story. Sorry to hear about it. I once drove 5.5 hours for a pump and those ugly thoughts went through my head, but thankfully it was a great deal. I think you should post a first name and what area they are from(unless this is against Old Gas rules). I'm not saying to list his address or anything, or to do this as something against the seller; but to help the thousands of other buyers who are good people from making the same mistake with this seller who won't keep his word.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunatly it's true that whomever gets there with the money first can be true. But I have done well on Craig's list,and even received a sign today that I bought off a guy about 300 miles away.i haven't been burned yet,and someday I probably will,but until then ,I'll believe in my fellow man.have had a few guys sell stuff from under me,but oh well,not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Alex
If I call and make arrangemets to buy it and I say I will be there by three, I would expect the person to hold the item. If I am not there by 3:00...then they should be able to sell it and tough luck to me. Otherwise your word is squat. And that's about all we have to measure ourselves..our word and our morals and values. Now, if you tell me from the start that it is first come first served..well, that's different. You take your chances.

...I agree completely...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Tom,
Rest assured,KARMA,will strike these kind of bums! wink

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

Excuse me? So you make a deal with a guy over the phone, he says he will pay you a deposit and you say no and then sell it to someone else before he arrives? Is that what you are saying?

If indeed that's what you are saying do you tell the people who contact you on craigslist that you will sell it if someone calls later and makes it to your house in 5 minutes three steps ahead of the other fellow?

I'm sorry, but if that's how you conduct business I would be happy to go out of my way on craigslist to point out you aren't a trustworthy seller. If you refuse a down payment and agree to sell them the item and then sell it before they can get to your door, well you are lacking INTEGRITY.

Integrity - the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Are you really declaring here on OG that you don't have it?
Please tell me I'm wrong.

I understand if someone says they are interested and may swing by later to take a look. That's a different story. Or if you tell someone you've got three offers and you honestly disclose to the caller that the first person who makes it gets the item.

Please clarify!

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved