Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48141 Sun Jul 29 2007 09:44 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wanted to remove the sight glass from my Erie 71 pump to clean it but couldn't see anyway but the small screwdriver size slits to somehow move the washer ring. Tried putting screwdriver in slit and hitting with hammer, wouldn't budge. No screws on bottom to take it off. Anyone have ideas?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#48142 Sun Jul 29 2007 10:33 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
You're going at it the right way...that ring screws-out much like the inner sightglass nut on a Wayne 60. UNFORTUNATELY, they usually rust solid. If you can't get it with the hammer and chisel method (and lots of heat), you might need to build (or have built) a tool to get it out. I made a very simple tool that fit in to those slits and gave me some leverage. Good luck!

#48143 Sun Jul 29 2007 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heat and vibration are two things that will cause bolts to loosen. Even if you don't want them to loosen. Sometimes lightly tapping, for a long time, on a cast peice that is super rusted will allow the oil to penetrate better. Especially after heating.

A heating and cooling will sometimes help the oil penetrate better. There really is no set way to get anything loose.....it's all trial and error.

A peice of 1 1/2" or two inch pipe could be cut so that it has "castlelations" protruding from the end...then put a pipe wrench on the pipe to turn.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#48144 Sun Jul 29 2007 04:59 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
after having removed a bunch of these, i can tell you: expect the result to be a broken sight glass. relax, ron scobie sells them. but maybe you will get lucky.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved