Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50204 Tue Sep 11 2007 06:17 PM
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
savnsam has a question about these sign post finials. Can anyone help him?

Hello. Would you please post the attached photo for me? I need ID on sign post finials which might be from Atlantic. Is this a complete set? Thanks so much! Savinsam

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#50205 Tue Sep 11 2007 10:12 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I know somebody will take this wrong, but all logic tells me, why would a company as big as Atlantic Refining Co. hire an designer to specify what finial should be at the top of a 20' tall pole?
My feeling is that Atlantic purchased poles and put their signs on them.
I have looked at every National Petroleum News issued since 1908 (and before the 1950s they were weekly) and I do not remember any advertisements for the poles that held stations signs. Plenty of sign ads, but no poles.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identificaiton book and Air Meter Identification book
Need a gas pump manual? www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#50206 Wed Sep 12 2007 05:51 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Jack, Thanks for the info. I'm not suggesting that Atlantic made the poles & finials. My question is: do these look like items that Atlantic used on a regular basis. Or did other companies use the same finials? Some photos that I've seen of rectangular signs of Atlantic appear to have finials like these. Maybe someone out there has some good photos of sign hangers that would have these ornamental finials on them? Thanks, Savinsam

#50207 Wed Sep 12 2007 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know anything about Atlantic or those finials but I want to address Jack's question. I've seen spec books and buleprints that are very specific when it comes to fixtures and hardware. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Atlantic specified what poles or finials were to be used at new stations.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved