Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
New user. Love the forum, have been reading it like a madman smile I was at the Longest Yardsale and my eye was caught by what turned out to be a rough door from a Wayne 70. I liked it because it had the Lead Warning sign still screwed on. I bought it, took it home then discovered this forum. My tentative plan is to by an ad class and trim and a faceplate and make a dummy/wallhanger out of it but I can't decide whether to sand and repaint or leave the "Patina" which you hear people say is so precious intact lol
Nice to meet everyone and I love this forum.
I can't figure out how to upload a pic on this forum but here is a link to an image
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...018103334_n.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
That's a great idea. Should look good either way. Try and a get a small light fixture like a nightlight for behind it to really finish it off once you have the parts.

S
OP Offline
S
The For Use as a Motor Fuel Contains Led (Tetraethyl) sign is porcelain and was clearly screwed on at some point. Any idea when these signs were mandated? I would like to date the door as best I can.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ha! Now you just need to find the rest of it. Welcome to the club grin

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: TheGriffin
Ha! Now you just need to find the rest of it. Welcome to the club grin

I have ALWAYS dug old Gas Station relics since I was a kid . My grandpa had half of an old Phillips 66 sign used as a patch on his garage smile I have oft been tempted to get and clean it up even though its just half a sign. A guy had this pump door for 20 bucks on the yardsale route and I about shoved my wallet down his throat smile I may have a new addiction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sounds like you've caught the sickness,
no known cure- welcome aboard... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That door with the sight glass placed between the ad glass and the pump face was used 1937 to 1946.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
D
Use it for a picture frame.

James
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great price. I would leave it and not repaint it. If you want to inprove its appearance a little and keep the patina you can brush some muriatic acid on it and it will remove the rust stains from the paint and bring out the red. Make sure you where a resporator and wash it off real good.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I collect gas pumps as my main petro collectable but also collect doors. Here are some of them for ideas. I do have a wayne 70 door in my collection. It is getting redone because it was already in primer when I got it. Bennetts are my favorite door but also have Wayne, Gilbarco and Southwest.

S
OP Offline
S
wow! Those doors look great! That is what I have in mind for this one. I wish I knew what BRAND of gas to put in the ad display etc. It is read but that could be Mobil or Texaco or probably dozens more!

I have to find a faceplate.

Last edited by sandmountainslim; Sun Aug 10 2014 01:54 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here you go; I'll make it easy for you. Not mine, but an ad from the for sale forum. Click on the link below. First photo lower right corner, face plate is for a Wayne 70. White plate with black lettering.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558524#Post558524

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sun Aug 10 2014 02:17 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
OP Offline
S
That plate is exactly what I need. I am going to have to hold off a few weeks before a purchase though, Daughter's school starting back an time for house insurance smile I know now exactly what I need to buy in the near future.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: sandmountainslim
The For Use as a Motor Fuel Contains Led (Tetraethyl) sign is porcelain and was clearly screwed on at some point. Any idea when these signs were mandated? I would like to date the door as best I can.

I am operating from memory here and that has become unreliable....I think the rules required the Motor Fuel signs to be placed in the front first and somewhere around the second world war (????) it was changed and they could go on the side of the pump. I have seen pumps with them on the side about the height it currently is (called belt line) and have seen them closer to the ground as well. I am sure others will chime in and give you better info.

Looking at where the pump plate was i am thinking it was Texaco Fire Chief. It looks like a 12 x 18 area...just a guess. Look around and decide what you would like it to look like. Lots of nice paint designs out there.

Last edited by Alex; Sun Aug 10 2014 09:09 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that it was Texaco Fire Chief

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved