Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tiff Offline OP
OP Offline
T
here is a very cool and provocative WWII shell ad. This is a photo quality copy from the original. very nice detail. I have a few of these framed and ready to ship. $20 shipped to your door in the lower US.

Let me know if you have any questions.

thanks

rsz_shell.jpg
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the picture is pretty cool,
that wouldn't fly today... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Oh yes, would never fly today with all the upright, correct people in the world.There is nothing currently near this bad on the internet or in rap songs from gangsta's, lmao.....I think this ad was way before its time and I find it very cool. You do not see vintage stuff presented this way very often. Great piece........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tiff, I'd be curious to know what publication(s) this ad ran in at that time. For some reason I'm having a hard time believing that Shell would run an ad such as this. Please prove me wrong. Thanks.

T
Tiff Offline OP
OP Offline
T
yeah I got the original from an old shell distributor, he said he remembers a few other interesting ads like this they had back in the day, but this was the only one he still had around.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm having trouble believing this came from that era. They didn't even use slightly bad language then and those kind of pic's ..... an oil company. There was a couple artist's around in the 50s doing some of this that would be in men's magazines but I ain't believing Shell did.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm sure Hawkike can tell the history of this piece.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Terry Flannery
I'm having trouble believing this came from that era. They didn't even use slightly bad language then and those kind of pic's ..... an oil company. There was a couple artist's around in the 50s doing some of this that would be in men's magazines but I ain't believing Shell did.

Agree.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: hawkike
Originally Posted By: Terry Flannery

Agree.

+1... In my collection I have subsequent "Super Service Station" magazines from 1937 -38(Years leading up to WW2). In one months feature they posted a picture of a scantly clad girl for that time, the following month several letters to the editor (from angry station owners) were published reprimanding the magazine for printing such filth...Interesting to see how times/society have changed. Not saying your ad isn't real, but I don't believe it came from that era. My guess would be more 50's. Hope this helps some. smile
Thanks,
-Paul

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
She is hot! ;-)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Seeing this got me interested so I took a look on ebay and found this. Not sure of age (maybe phone number can help) but definitely a little risky. The whole sex slave would be taboo now. I know its an petroleum equipment company and not a major so maybe they could get away with more. Still sort of neat.

$_57.jpg

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
S
S
I called the number no answer lol

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have this Shell "Credit card" or "Charge card" with an expiration date of 1950 on it. The pectan clam is almost identical. I agree this "pinup" type stuff seemed to be popular in the 50's.
That's neat how the station owners complained about trashy advertising. I wish I could have lived back then.

Last edited by luminor89; Thu Aug 14 2014 11:55 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved