Next Thread
Print Thread
#561411 Sun Aug 17 2014 03:46 PM
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: really
Moved to non petro......maybe because it has nothing to do with an oil or gas company???

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but it most defiantly is petro...... Same as spark plugs, tires, batteries, auto paint, etc... There more to "petro" than gas and oil...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gmstuff #561590 Mon Aug 18 2014 06:45 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I wrote also and my question was "Does this sign have any repair or restoration? Thanks". My complete response this morning was "all original no repair".

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
GM..l think you're confusing Petro with Auto.......I'm guessing the petro is short for petroleum?....oil/gasoline.........yes, cars run on gasoline...so I guess you could link the 2, but if you did that...you could link zillions of things that have to do with cars. I guess whomever moved this thread thinks the same on the subject that I do? But you are entitled to your opinion.

really #561679 Mon Aug 18 2014 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with GMSTUFF, Petro is short for Petroliana which covers pretty much everything auto/gas/transportation related.

ORIGINAL ITEMS ONLY naturally.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #561702 Mon Aug 18 2014 03:13 PM
Online Cool
The definition of "petroliana" we use on the forum is shown in the For Sale Guidelines:
"This forum category is for gas station collectibles and auto service memorabilia, which includes tire, battery, other auto service and auto dealership signs. Other items may be offered for sale in the Non-Petro For Sale category as explained in the Guidelines in that forum."

The moderators have tried to guide license plates, auto parts, auto insurance signs, auto finance signs, cars, boats, motorcycles and related items to the Non-Petro forums for years. No doubt that there are lots of different opinions on where to draw the line. We can't make everyone happy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #561705 Mon Aug 18 2014 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/O Guidelines General Petro Discussion would look like most Garage Sales/Flea Markets/Junk Stores.

IMO, the sign in question fits in w/ Automobilia, Not Petroliana.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
W/O Guidelines General Petro Discussion would look like most Garage Sales/Flea Markets/Junk Stores.

IMO, the sign in question fits in w/ Automobilia, Not Petroliana.

Well said DB!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #561729 Mon Aug 18 2014 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does the HAMB site allow soda/beer signs to be posted? Do they allow you to ask what soda/beer signs are worth? Do they allow the posting of Insurance/Petro signs?
Do the Soda/beer sites allow you to post pictures of your weekend cars in Non soda/beer Forums?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
WOW, DB you surprised me with that post !

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, for what it is worth... The sign in question, is not Petro nor is it Automotive... It is Service Related... Same as AAA and other Travel Club Organizations signage....

This Hobby was founded to celebrate the "American Service Station"...

The Founders worked very hard to make sure there was a definite distinction between Petro and other Hobbies that were similar....

They worked hard to do research. Research that took weeks, months, even years. The same research that can be done now in a matter of seconds.... The Founders worked hard to form a Hobby that was quite specific in it's nature, now it is getting difficult to recognize that Hobby!

While growing up, I sat through many discussions where the concept of what is and is not Petro, was debated and argued...

Some Founders were Automotive People and they tended to want things like Auto Dealerships, Body Shops, Auto Repair Facilities to be included under the "Petro Banner"...

Others like my Father, who by the way, was building Race Cars and restoring Cars and building Rods. Felt that Petro should be separate from Automotive... As he pointed out, up to his death... Most Car Dealerships DID NOT sell gasoline to the Public... Most Auto Repair Shops DID NOT sell gasoline to the Public... Most Auto Body Shops DID NOT sell gasoline to the Public...

I've never found a link to where an Insurance Agency sold gasoline to the Public...

There have been "cross over" facilities... The Auto Repair Garage that sold gasoline to the Public.. The Auto Dealership that sold gasoline to the Public... The Tire Store that sold gasoline to the Public... The Country Store and/or Restaurant that sold gasoline to the Public... The Auto Parts Store that sold gasoline to the Public... The Auto Court/Travel Court that sold gasoline to the Public...These businesses were not the norm and as such were all "cross overs" and were discussed on an individual basis...

Too many now, see this Hobby differently than I... That is understandable... As I am still seeing this Hobby, through eyes that quite frankly are still back in the late 1950s into the 1970s... I can still "hear" the discussions that took place at dinner tables, lunch counters, in grungy wonderful auto repair shops... In Auto Parts Stores with uneven wooden floors...

I hope my health allows, that I can stick around for awhile and see/ even hopefully travel; this path that the Petro Hobby is now taking...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved