Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
IMO the bubble will not burst, at least on the best advertising...to many people wanting this original stuff and more rich people are getting into it every day, and money is not a problem........

I agree.

Even if the bubble did burst...it may not be all that bad. Would flush the pickers and the crooks out of the hobby.

I can hear it now, Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
BryceG #571372 Mon Sep 29 2014 07:06 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: BryceG
i would agree that most items were priced high, but they were also mostly top-notch items. lots of investment-grade pieces... what seems high today, won't seem high in a couple years.

i enjoyed the show, but if you are a gas & oil nut like most of us... then you probably wouldnt be thrilled about the mass quantity of paper & cardstock advertising - but it was still nice to see what other markets exist for advertising collectibles.

In my opinion there have been too many markets that have gone south with passing generations to consider advertising a sound investment strategy.

In the 90s you couldn't touch country store items,in the 80s 55'-57' T-Birds were ridiculous, in the 70s Model A's were bringing BIG money. With passing generations those markets have came and went. There are no 100% sure fire investments, but when you factor the amount risk the antique/collectible market presents I'm not sure how wise an investment a $40,000 sign is.

I agree with Dave, it would be great to get some of these "pickers" out of the market....

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Mon Sep 29 2014 07:07 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it would be great to get some of these guys who make these fantasy and repo's meant to deceive out of the market, however that won't happen.....pickers will never go away......you mention cars, country store, etc. not holding value, on the opposite side of the coin, Art, sports collectibles and many many others have appreciated in value.....Many people would have said $10 million for a Van Gogh 10 years ago was not a wise investment, and same painting today brings $40 million..LOl....and 10 years from now it may be 80 million, but who knows and who cares....buy what you like and can afford.......

Last edited by roadrelics; Mon Sep 29 2014 07:25 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
all good comments and discussion.

i wouldn't use the hobby as a true investment of your money, but rather the satisfaction of knowing that something you enjoy & that you are going to spend money on regardless, might possibly increase in value over time.

but back to the Indy show... smile

what I would like to see on OldGas is maybe a BATS thread (Buys At The Show) - for each large show. Would love to see what people find in the early hours of setup, etc.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
....buy what you like and can afford.......

That's the best piece of advice anyone can get or give.

There is no such thing as a sound investment. When I graduated from my post secondary education at the age of 21 my father bought me a brand new house as a graduation gift to help me get started in life. In exchange, he made me promise him that by the time I was 30, I would put away a 100,000 in a retirement savings plan. I did that...a divorce later and market crashes that 100,000 dwindled down to 17,000. I swore, that I would never invest in another retirement plan or stocks after that. 26 years later, that plan is worth around 50,000 and I pay 4000 in administration fee's a year. Long story short, everyone, made and continues to make more money on that investment but me. When I start drawing money out of it...I'll have to pay taxes.

Trust me, collecting signs is much cheaper and carries much less risk and taxes. I will continue to buy and hoard collectibles. Pickers and flippers are probably a lot easier (and cheaper) to deal with then bankers and lawyers!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
How true that is Dave! Invest in what you can put youre hands on! No one can take it away from you. This way you have total control over youre assets!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like you have a wise and very generous father Dave.....

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Do you guys remember, about 3 years ago, there was a Gorilla globe on ebay, over and over and over at a really low price and I have no idea if if finally sold but here it, or one like it is, for $8000...wow, talk about a return on your money.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved