Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#573148 Wed Oct 08 2014 04:09 AM
OP Offline
Hey Guys,
My Dad worked for the British American Oil Co. from 1956 till Gulf took over in 1969, went on to stay with Gulf until they closed their doors at the Toronto Corporate office. Dad was an internal auditor for most of his time at BA, I remember as a kid he would take me on tours of BA stations in Montreal, he'd check the books and I'd make sure the Restrooms were clean and neat! Wish we had saved the BA & Gulf collectibles he had but back then who ever thought they would be worth keeping! I enjoy collecting BA and some Gulf items. Collection is growing slowly. I recently completed a 7 yr. restoration of my 1962 GMC truck which I rebuilt as a "tribute" British American Oil service station shop truck. My Dad gave me a the nickname "Murphy" as a kid so that's why I made up the "Murphy's BA Service" logos for the doors. Truck gets a lot of attention at shows, also nice to meet up with people who either worked for or had family who worked for BA. Looking forward to viewing all the great stuff & info on this site.
Murph.

BA 1.jpg
Had a chance to take photos of my truck in front of a restored circa 1955 British American oil station in Newtonville Ontario.

P1110518 (2).JPG

Paul
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome to Oldgas! Your truck looks fantastic! I'm surprised Frank let you get away without him buying your truck..Lol

Daryl
OP Offline
Thanks junior25, Frank and Betty were most hospitable when we stopped by the station back in May, I had met Frank & Betty once before at a CSSMA meeting a few years back but it was great to spend more time with them having coffee on their rear porch, also getting a tour of the inside of the station and seeing a few items still in Franks collection. Too bad the pumps are long gone, great day and fun trip to Newtonville.
Murph

Originally Posted By: junior25
Welcome to Oldgas! Your truck looks fantastic! I'm surprised Frank let you get away without him buying your truck..Lol

Paul
Welcome to Oldgas.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Welcome to OG Nice truck
Bill

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard, awesome truck... cool

RANDY
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the welcome & compliments on the truck! I'm very proud of it & it's a real blast to drive!

Paul
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to OldGas!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome cool story

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas.com!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
OP Offline
Thanks! I'm lucky to still have my Dad around to hear stories of the old BA & Gulf Canada Days. Just found out recently that Gulf branded Lubricants are again available in Canada after a 25 year absence. Looks like they are being distributed by a company based in Montreal.

Oh, by the way, really nice looking Chevrolet truck on you avatar, '55-'57?

Originally Posted By: redindianguy
welcome cool story

Paul
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome, my Grandfather had a BA station in Ryckmans Corners(Hamilton) in the 50's.

OP Offline
Thanks very much. I don't suppose your Grandfathers BA station is still standing today? I love finding old BA stations still being used today. I know of a few in Ontario still standing and in use by new businesses, mostly garages & towing services. I worked at a Petro Can station in Niagara-on-the-Lake years ago which used to be a Gulf & a BA before that. Unfortunately it was torn down in the mid 90s to make way for a restaurant. We even had operating vintage style gas pumps with globes at the time.
I tried to get one of the pumps before demolition but Petro Canada would not let me have one. I know the operator of the station did manage to score one however.
Originally Posted By: Bullitt1
Welcome, my Grandfather had a BA station in Ryckmans Corners(Hamilton) in the 50's.

Paul
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

OP Offline
Thanks! I already have, they both have amazing collections! Makes mine look very "Micky Mouse" in comparison. Mind you I've only been collecting for about 6-7 yrs, I know I will never catch up but I'm working on it one piece at a time! Once my woodworking shop to garage conversion is done I will post some pics of my modest collection smile

Paul
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved