Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi All,

I am just starting to restore a lubester that I acquired from family. I have spent alot of time lurking here in advance of starting the project, but since this is a first for me, I have some questions now since I've started the disassembly.

I'll spare you much of the detail, but I have separated the pump assembly from the tank. The tank was initially cleaned of about 1/4" of tar at the bottom, but there is still a bit of residue. After some research, I've found a local chemical stripper to take the tank to (he does alot of automotive work), and I may use him for the pump, depending on your input.

Tonight I started to break down the pump, but I have hit a few sticking points. My original plan was to completely disassemble the pump and remove all parts to prep for paint. Hopefully, someone can assist in getting me through these roadblocks (or offer alternatives if I don't need to break it down that far):

The knob on the pump handle appears to fastened to the handle with a carriage bolt of sorts. There is no slot in the head, and the bolt does not appear to be threaded. I tried knocking the bolt out with a punch, but I had no luck. What am I missing?

I have not been able to remove the drain (return/drip) pipe from the pump assembly base. I have removed a set screw there, but there is no play. Do I need to drive the pipe out from the bottom?

I have not been able to remove the pinion gear from the upper piece of the pump assembly. I have removed the packing nut, but it is not obvious to me what needs to be done. It seems the pinion gear needs to be removed, as the "rack" seems to have a stop on it which keeps it being removed from the pinion.

There is a funnel shaped piece in the cast base of the pump housing. This holds a ball bearing. How is that piece removed? There is a raised tab on the surface of the piece that I struck to unscrew the entire piece (hope that made sense), but that doesn't seem to work.

I have attached a few pics of the lubester before the disassembly in the event someone might recognize the pump brand (just curious). I will also be posting up my progress as I move along, and I can add more pics if folks need to see them to offer guidance.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I'll also say "thank you" in advance for any help that is offered. Thanks and regards.

Dave

IMG_9092 reduced.jpg IMG_9098 reduced.jpg IMG_9096 reduced.jpg IMG_9094 reduced.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Try and send all the metal parts to the chemical stripper. Take a good close up photo of the Quaker state label with measurements so you can have a graphics guy replicate it. Don't go over board stripping down the internals no one will ever see. I would just wire wheel the complete top pump, paint it(POR-15)the colour you want and park it back outside. Lubesters are a great learning tool, they're cheap and easy to do.It get's you ready for your first gas pump.And as I always say "To each their own" Good luck Dave

A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Bullit, thanks for the input. After seeing your post, I obviously was over-thinking the breakdown of the pump. With it being mostly metal, I probably will just take that to the stripper as well. I am going to splurge a bit and also take it to a painter for the refinishing. I am going back and forth between a Polly Oil theme or a Sunset Oil theme, but am leaning toward Polly right now. Interestingly, there is a Sunset Oil Company tag on the front of the tank which (I guess) means it may have been part of their inventory or distributorship...don't know for sure how that worked.

I'll finish with a couple of questions...

<SNIP!>

Edit: I removed the questions, as each had been taken care of. The knob broke while trying to drive out the pin, so it will now be easy to remove the pin. As to the drip/return pipe, I was able to remove that as well by completely removing the set screw and driving the pipe out.

Prior pics also removed.

Thanks again and regards.

Dave

Last edited by A Dave; Thu Oct 16 2014 06:58 PM. Reason: Figured some things out.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
not sure if you are interested, but in the for sale section, there is a guy selling new knobs for the lubesters. I think the price is 12.00 look very nice!

A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: shawn
not sure if you are interested, but in the for sale section, there is a guy selling new knobs for the lubesters. I think the price is 12.00 look very nice!

Thank you, I had seen that, and I have made a note of it in the event I just want to pull the knob and not do the work on it. But, I can't even do that (without cutting) if I can't figure out how to remove it. frown

Edit: Broke the knob tonight, so I'll be contacting the member who's selling them. No more pin removal problem!

Dave

Last edited by A Dave; Thu Oct 16 2014 07:00 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I asked the same things you did. I was provided this link some pics are gone but there a few Polly ides here.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93381&page=1

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those little oil pumps can be really cool, I've done three or four. I agree that tearing down the pump assembly may not be necessary.

Few things to think about: Sometimes adding a little chrome or polished stainless can really make these pumps pop, I've switched out the long bolts with polished stainless before, chromed the lid, etc. Depends on how purist you are.

Those tough to remove bolts will come out easier after stripping too.

Also, sometimes the sides are caved in on these oil pumps and that's a real pain, you have to shrink the metal to flatten it out and then glaze it with filler before jumping into primer.

Graphics look awesome on these, pin stripes, etc, Polly would look great! Use a super bright flourscent green for your Polly green, really pops. I use typical base/clear paint on these.

Good luck!

Last edited by Paul Bell; Thu Oct 16 2014 10:17 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just in case you didn't already realize it, but Quaker State did not make your oil dispenser, they made oil and put in in a dispenser they purchased from probably a company that made gas pumps.
Try and find a ID tag on the dispenser, there should also be a model number, then go to these pages of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm.

You may be able to find some information about your dispenser.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First thing to remember is its a lubester and has little value. Having said that keep the expenses low and your enjoyment of the project high. Oh, Welcome to Old Gas

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Just in case you didn't already realize it, but Quaker State did not make your oil dispenser, they made oil and put in in a dispenser they purchased from probably a company that made gas pumps.
Try and find a ID tag on the dispenser, there should also be a model number, then go to these pages of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm.

You may be able to find some information about your dispenser.

Jack, thanks for the heads up. The only tag of any sort that is on the appliance is on the front of the tank, near the top. That particular tag reads, "Sunset Oil Co" and has number 6801. I would presume that the tag is more related to Sunset owning it or distributing it, and is basically an inventory tag. Would that be the most likely scenario? As to the pump unit itself, there is no tag that I can find at all, and there are no screw or rivet holes that would tend to indicate that one is missing. Are there any other features on the pump that might indicate who made it? Knowing is not hugely important...it's more a curiosity thing.

Everyone else...thanks very much for contributing thus far. I know this has to be "old hat" for you guys, so I appreciate your input. I have everything pretty much broken down to where I want it, and I will be taking it to the stripper soon. I met with a painter that was recommended, and I may actually be going with a Sunset Gas/Rainbow Motor Oil theme instead of Polly - probably because this unit has some type of tie to the company.

Since this unit has been in my wife's family, the relative value is not that big of a deal for me. I'm just hoping it turns out as nice as I foresee.

BTW, if anyone has any Sunset Oil themed pumps or lubesters, I'd love to see them. I've been all over the internet and have little luck finding any photographs.

Thanks for the help. I'll add some updates down the road. Regards.

Dave

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
It would take a while to find you which company made your dispenser, but I believe you dispenser is either a 60 or 65 gallon tank.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ok, thanks. I was hoping there was some type of unique feature for some particular manufacturers that would stand out in one way or another, but oh well.

Also, the dipstick is marked to 30 (gallons). But, just to be sure the dipstick didn't come from another piece, the rough dimensions calculated to 29.5 gallons. And no, I'm not smart enough to do the math on my own...that's what smartphone apps are for. wink Regards.

Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A lot of these lubesters had cast lids that had Shell or some other brand cast into them, you could probably find on ebay if you want to make it less generic. There all interchangeable. There a texaco on there right now, looks like a repro.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sat Oct 18 2014 10:53 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I differ with you Paul, all the lids are not interchangeable.

Jack Sim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I differ with you Paul, all the lids are not interchangeable.

Jack Sim

I agree.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved