Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am currently bidding on a very rare 2 gallon can, but it is very rusty. Does anyone have any good ideas as to removing rust with ought damaging the can?

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've used lemon juice with some success but if it's very rusty like you say you may just be stuck with it. There's a great article on the beer can site about cleaning cans. try http://www.therustybunch.com/

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe CLR? ( calcium-lime-rust)

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
I'll probably get reamed for saying this, but who cares? I saw an episode of American Restoration where they had some rusty metal panels of some sort that were too delicate to sandblast or grind on, so they soaked it in a tub of chemical that runs around 200 dollars a gallon. The name escapes me. It did take the rust off nicely with absolute minimal material loss in the process.
maybe you can google around and figure out what it is. it might work. good luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He's talking about saving the graphics, not stripping
Originally Posted By: youngbuck
I'll probably get reamed for saying this, but who cares? I saw an episode of American Restoration where they had some rusty metal panels of some sort that were too delicate to sandblast or grind on, so they soaked it in a tub of chemical that runs around 200 dollars a gallon. The name escapes me. It did take the rust off nicely with absolute minimal material loss in the process.
maybe you can google around and figure out what it is. it might work. good luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Luke, do you have any good images of the can you are asking about? It might be that the can is too far gone?....

I've saved more than a few cans using different techniques; techniques that I've shared here on Oldgas... I've also lost a few cans, using those same techniques...

Using CLR and any other harsh chemical(s) usually is a "recipe for disaster"... Based on my experience...

It is too easy to "wash off" early graphics and text, if one is not using 100% concentration and the correct techniques...

Adam, dipping a metal panel in a harsh chemical to remove all rust... Does not relate to someone using such tools as "a child's soft toothbrush, cotton swabs, Dawn Dishwashing Detergent, small squares of alum foil, plus other techniques to try and save graphics and text on a "rare can"...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The can is"Perf O Graph" on eBay. One side is reasonable, but the other side is SHOT. Im figuring if I can get the okay side a little better, it would be alright for display.

Last edited by 2 Gallon Luke; Tue Nov 04 2014 06:59 PM.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Iron X was a hot topic here a month or so ago.
Give it a go!!
Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can in question.

image.jpg image.jpg

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use citric acid, you can buy it at the drug store in powder form, it will not touch the paint, just the rust.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

T
Tob Offline
T
Evaporust available at Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight and other sources. Works like magic on rust and will not hurt the paint. I have used it a lot in auto restoration.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Luke, I think that the 2 gal... is a good candidate for some clean up work...

Obviously, there are a few spots where one will have to be careful; But I could see you bringing back this can, from the edge...

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this rust come from behind the paint? Destroying the graphic on it's way out. The rust is not sitting on top of the paint. Meaning that if you remove the rust, there is no graphic under it?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO... Steve, you are correct... As the rust does grow from the metal outwards....

But, if one works carefully/ is lucky. A good portion of the time, they can "knock down" some/most of the rust that has grown above the graphic and save the original graphic/text...

As to stabilizing the metal so it won't rust again... That at times is a real tricky situation... Especially if one lives in a very humid location....

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Evaporust is the least harsh chemical you can use and should yield the best results; non-toxic. Let the can soak face down in an inch or two of Evaporust for several hours; where the temperature is above 70 degrees; rinse off and check out the results. I purchase it from O'Reillys Auto Parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved