Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Where the hell is DB when we need him?

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other than Craig and Jarvis, the others are newbies and think you are doing a great service....Go Away

Larry

Last edited by st.rod; Wed Nov 05 2014 10:33 PM.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
I'm new and think repops suck! Will people actually pay $8500 for a knock off?

Chasing anything old......but women
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
yes we do. we've been getting a lot of requests for this. send me a pm

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, great job on the reproduction! Looks great. Lot of difficult parts there to reproduce. If you don't mind me making a suggestion, I'd paint one Polly Gas green and black and fill it with cans. That polly green is really marketable. Good luck!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The reason there's a market for this stuff is the instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent these days. Gone are the days when you have to work at building a collection by buying, selling, and trading to improve your position. That's too much work and takes too long. Now any decorator with a credit card can pass off repro pumps, globes and signs as rare and desirable collectibles.
As a public service to the hobby I'll permanently mark any repro sign in a conspicuous manner with an angle grinder, any repro globe with letter stamps and a ball-pein hammer, and any repro pump with the loader on my backhoe.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've given some serious thought of this whole situation as this is a pump that has eluded my collection. To me there is a place for the reproduction pump to a guy as stated that only wants to decorate but I feel for the guys that currently have a 50 showcase that are likely a wee bit nervous at this point about their investment. As long as the fraudsters don't play in this game, which is highly unlikely, I'm hoping there are other collectors like myself that will wait it out in hopes of the real deal and actually owning a piece of great history to appreciate and keep the original pump market strong.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How about some pictures of how the pumps are marked as repops?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
How about some pictures of how the pumps are marked as repops?
Ditto

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
There would be a great market for parts and all have brought up good points. Again the angle I am coming from is the one where this high end type of items not today or on Thursday would show up as a restored pump at BJ, Mecum, or other high end auction houses and there bidders would just not know. These would be passed on to the next person as probably an original. Check the 12 " porcelain signs on ebay now and yes it is a totally different market.
Look back at the 90's era when there were many complete less barrel Roman columns coming out of Ok, twin Bowsers coming out of Canada, Twin Bennett 450s. I have been at the receiving end of these and know the next owner may not know of these reproductions.
Yes a trained eye, but as mentioned above many people want decorator items and when they are through guess what.
There is no way to stop this, just makes our investment and time spent finding real ones seem a step down now. Some of the repo pumps put out are just enough to show the difference, but this even though a great job for sure will be too difficult to tell for sure.

Got up this morning and thought wonder what DB would have thought. Would have been a chuckle.
Sorry

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Thu Nov 06 2014 07:11 AM.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Would be easy to tell this one just by sticking a magnet on the pieces that are aluminum in the reproduction?

Ray

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If the castings were all aluminum. If castings were aluminum that would be helpful you are right in that determination.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: junior25
I've given some serious thought of this whole situation as this is a pump that has eluded my collection. To me there is a place for the reproduction pump to a guy as stated that only wants to decorate but I feel for the guys that currently have a 50 showcase that are likely a wee bit nervous at this point about their investment. As long as the fraudsters don't play in this game, which is highly unlikely, I'm hoping there are other collectors like myself that will wait it out in hopes of the real deal and actually owning a piece of great history to appreciate and keep the original pump market strong.
. I agree. I can only image how a collector of a original one feels about this , especially if they paid big $ and searched the world over. But your never going to duplicate the real deal . A original will always hold its own IMO. I do like the showcase displays , but will just build myself one someday as I will most likely never find or could afford the real thing.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the link to our website showing where the markings will be. It also shows the differences on the interior between ours and an original.

http://www.pilotdisplays.com/pilot-displays-reproduction-markings-locations

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm new in this hobby but not new to collecting, nor am I new to this life. I can appreciate both sides of the fence and get that those with originals have a staked value upon them, but there is also a good market for high quality reproductions.

Unlike some here, I wouldn't be too quick to label a buyer of one of these pumps as a "decorator", as I know some of the biggest collectors in the country and many of them have reproductions of hard to find items in their collections. Maybe I'm more open minded than a true "purist" but there is a spot for this.

As for the other side where an uneducated buyer makes a large purchase from an unscrupulous seller should that come to happen, then understand that the onis should always be with the purchaser to learn what they are shelling out their hard earned cash for. In saying that I mean that anyone with the means to shell out 8 or 10 grand on a pump or a sign, had better be smart enough to have studied what they're going after before they lay out the cash in the first place. If not, then the adage of "A Fool and His Money" should apply.

I like the pump, would consider buying one and don't like seeing the comments from an old boys club where everyone else is coined as a newbie (if you only knew instead of assumed, you'd likely recant that comment). Like seriously, please loose the holier than now attitude. Nobody is better than the other yet some here cannot wait to jump on someone they think they are higher up on. It shows no class at all and does nobody any good to call down everyone else on a post other than your one or two friends here.

There is a place for this kind of stuff and I am sure this person will sell plenty of them. There's also an old saying that fits well here. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Earl

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved