Next Thread
Print Thread
#579846 Wed Nov 12 2014 02:34 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Is there anyone out there who could advise me on what to look for in determining the authenticity of the porcelain, Gargoyle oil cabinet signs? The cabinet that had an oval globe on top.
I think there were 4 signs on each cabinet.....approx. 20 x 24. I am pretty sure they are reproduced.

Is there a size difference? or,
Are the new ones marked "licensed by"? or,
Are there subtle differences in the graphics?
Or???

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by OK Used Cars; Wed Nov 12 2014 02:35 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I think most the fakes are somewhat smaller and only have 4 holes. Original has 6 or 8? At any rate...repros have less than they should. Wow, I guess that was no help at all.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, 4 signs per cabinet. Originals are 19 1/2 X 24, 8 mounting holes. There are two or maybe three versions. "Ask For"... , "Stop Here"...and maybe "Ask Here For"....

There ARE unmarked repros.
Not sure which version(s), but they are the correct size. Those unmarked repros have been around since the late 1990's. There are also smaller size repros.

I've seen cabinets with tin signs on the inside of the doors. The tin signs say something like Make The Chart Your Guide.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
I agree with all info from Lastgas15 and Man Cave. I have cabinet and 4 of these signs. All of my signs measure 19 1/2 x 24. All have 8 mounting holes with brass grommets. Back of my signs are white porcelain. Cabinets were made to accept 4 signs but most dealers only used 2. I have seen some photos with 4. Let me know if I can help.

D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Very helpful Gentlemen......Thank you all!
Don

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved