Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#584288 Thu Dec 04 2014 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Last sunday, I got a call from a fellow collector and old gasser, to tell me about a pump that I should buy in South Dakota! He went on to explain that it was a long ways away, and he didn't have time to get there before someone else spotted it. When he told me that it was a Wayne 60 Showcase pump, I started paying closer attention! He didn't have a link for me, but explained where it was in South Dakota and that it was on Craigslist! Just punch in central South Dakota and the words 'gas pump" and it will come up, he said.
Any time you mention "Showcase" around me, I get very interested, and take the time to check it out anyway. I had visions in my head of a beat up, rusted out old hulk that is laying out on a side hill somewhere, because the location is an area where there is nothing for miles, but rolling pastures and sage brush!
When the picture popped up on the computer, I couldn't believe my eyes! There was the nicest patina'd 60 that I had ever seen and it was a flippin showcase to boot! I looked and the ad had already been up for 5 days and my heart instantly sank, because I knew this pump had to be gone already! There was a phone number listed, and after 5 long rings, someone on the other end answered, kinda out of breath? I explained the purpose of my call and inquired as to the availability of the pump and waited until she got done explaining about the pump and why it was for sale, and then I asked her again if she still had it?
She indicated that she still had it, but it wasn't going to get any cheaper, and that she was just selling a few of her deceased fathers possessions to help pay for some health problems of her mother! I breathed a sigh of relief and proceeded to tell her that I would buy it, and I would be there the next day with cash in hand. I explained the distance involved and told her I couldn't leave until the bank opened in the morning, and asked if that was alright and if the plan suited her? She said we had a deal, and then I went on to talk about Craigslist problems when distance is involved and the threat of someone else offering more while I was enroute. She told me that since I was from North Dakota, and about the same age as her, we were probably raised the same way and that her word was a binding contract and that she trusted that I would be there tomorrow!
As I hung up the phone, I couldn't help but dance a little jig around my office and shout out loud! The Warden got a little worried until I explained what had just happened, and she smiled and said, "I guess its an early Christmas for you"!
I got very lucky the next morning as I hit the bank right at 7:30 as they opened, and the weather was great, except for some high winds. It was about 5 1/2 hours later when I rolled into her yard, and she met me with her neighbor there to help with the lifting. She asked for the cash right away, and I handed it to her and she shoved it into her pocket. I asked if she would like to count it, and she said--no, I trust you and I don't believe you'd come all this way with the wrong amount! LOL, I told her that she had a valid point and we shook hands and headed over to load the pump.
Here are the pictures of the building that it was in, and the pump itself. She explained that her father was somewhat of a packrat and that pump had been sitting in the same place for over 50 years!
LOL--I'm still dancing! laugh

Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 001.JPG Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 002.JPG Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 003.JPG Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 004.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Heres more pictures!

Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 005.JPG Wayne 60 Showcase--SD 006.JPG Wayme Showcase--SD--ID Tag.JPG Wayne 60 Showcase--SD--lower panel.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fantastic pump!
That'll keep a smile on your face for awhile I bet.

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice score & story... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin... i hate you.

but really... great addition.

Last edited by BryceG; Thu Dec 04 2014 03:35 PM.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, I am guessing from your excitement that this pump is not an easy one to find? I have never seen one, but am amazed at the Art Deco appearance. Is this from the 1930's? Nice to see that to some people their word is still their bond. Thanks for sharing!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
U lucky SOB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great score Kevin!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
It is so nice to see good things happen to good people.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Good For You!! I love a story like this!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great story and great pump Kevin! Congrats!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SKomatinsky
U lucky SOB

What he said.

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Congrats on getting the pump, Kevin!

I'm looking forward to seeing more images as you get into it...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
BryceG #584319 Thu Dec 04 2014 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
Kevin... i hate you.

but really... great addition.

Ditto!!!

Great addition buddy!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kev always awesome to see someone win one . Honesty pays off . Good for you .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved