Next Thread
Print Thread
#595059 Thu Jan 29 2015 11:04 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Any suggestions on how to install the glass in these cut out tops easier? The guy who did all my glass work passed away. I know he used a special tool with a small hook on the end. Should I bond the rubber to the top first then put the glass in after it is dried? Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is why I love Bennett pumps. Thanks Old Gassers frown

Goober

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't use glue, it just makes a mess. I usually cut the rubber to length and work it on to the glass first. It doesn't want to stay on all the way around sometimes but if you warm it up before you start to work it that helps a little. You can use a small piece of masking tape to hold it on the glass just to get started if it is real stubborn and just pull the tape off as you go around when working it in to the top opening. With the rubber on the glass, set it into the opening and start the back side rubber lip over the top edge with a small hook tool or awl and just work it around the perimeter of the opening. Keep pushing the glass snug as you go into the area where it is started. It is a slow and tedious process but once you get it started it will go pretty easy. The MS80 glass is actually a little easier than the smaller ones like the Wayne 500 series and the like. Just don't force the issue and you will get er done....Gb

Rabbitman #595094 Thu Jan 29 2015 03:43 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks for that valuable information. I will start working on it again tomorrow. Its important to walk away from a project when you get too frustrated. One slip and its back to the paint booth, lol!

Thanks again,

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're welcome, good luck. I always work the rubber into the top from the back side, not the freshly painted front. That way if you do slip (and i usually do) it wont hurt much. One other thing that came to mind, if you are using repo ad glass or a glass that was hand cut they can sometimes be a little bigger than the originals and that makes it a bear to get in. I had to have special ad glass made for the Wayne 500 I just finished and they cut the first ones about an eighth of an inch big and I broke the first one trying to force it. I had two more made the right size and they went right in. Better they are a tiny bit undersize than the other way. It would be impossible to trim one down for an MS80 though, so hopefully yours are the right size.....GB

Rabbitman #595126 Thu Jan 29 2015 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I cannot explain it, but my buddy uses a string. I thought there was a thread about this in the past. Brady

1PetroFan #595178 Thu Jan 29 2015 07:50 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
It's the same as doing this: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #596226 Wed Feb 04 2015 03:54 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks everyone for your help. Today I measured the difference between the older reproduction add glass as opposed to what they are currently selling. The older style (which is way darker and looks better) measures 14 3/4 x 4 3/4. The new ones are 15 x 5, no wonder I'm having trouble putting this glass in. A 1/4 inch makes a huge difference when you try to get these to fit. Watch what you are buying folks. If its $60 bucks for a kit, it ought to be right.

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, that'll make it much harder. I put a set in a few months ago and ended up breaking the glass on both sides, was repro glass on a repro top. Had to buy a second set and do it much sloooower.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved