Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Some days you are just lucky, and I bought his very nice Alemite at an auction. The car dealership moved across town to the new building and the mechanics liked the rolling tool chests so much they took them with them.

Anyone ever make one from scratch ? Anyone have any decent photos of the work bench from different sides ?

Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
Ramblin Randy
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
The old Cadillac dealership that I worked at 1968-1973 had cabinets like that for each technician. We called them "merchandisers" because each one had a lighted ad glass in the top, center that displayed various services like wheel alignment, tune up and "tightening." None of them had wheels. A couple body men made their own side cabinets with rounded corners like that for their own stuff.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
OP Offline
The photo shows a 75% complete unit. Missing is the work bench that sits in the middle. Finding a workbench would be great, I'm in no hurry, but am putting out the word.

Now to the 75% I do have.... Left and right you have closets for 2 mechanics to hold their street clothes and misc stuff.

Center top is a pegboard that does what a pegboard does, with lighting hidden above. There is a 3 part garage door that rests in the upper section, and at the end of the day the garage door is pulled down to about waist level, securing all that is on the peg board.

From the pegboard to the floor is where the rolling work bench is stored. At close of the day, all closet doors are closed, work bench is pushed into center cavity, and the garage door thingie is pulled down and everything is secure. Basically it's a huge tool box... overkill... but then so were fins on cars smile

LOOKING for photos, examples, drawings of what the center bench looks like.

Ramblin Randy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They look good lit up.
file photos...

alemite1.jpg alemite.jpg alemite2.jpg
Last edited by Cold Pizza; Mon Feb 09 2015 04:22 PM.
OP Offline
Want to hear something crazy.... So I bought mine at an auction. I couldn't remove it as I had no trailer that day, so before I left I removed the small pressed alluminum Alemite badges on each door. ( figured someone would maybe grab them after hours maybe ). Well... it's been about 10 years now sitting in storage and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I PUT THEM DANG BADGES.... Ouch. Saw a single badge sell on ebay for $250 for one badge. Fingers crossed they show up somewhere somehow.

Thanks for the photos... super cool.

Ramblin Randy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice looking benches!

Braden Splichal

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Wowabunga
Want to hear something crazy.... So I bought mine at an auction. I couldn't remove it as I had no trailer that day, so before I left I removed the small pressed alluminum Alemite badges on each door. ( figured someone would maybe grab them after hours maybe ). Well... it's been about 10 years now sitting in storage and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I PUT THEM DANG BADGES.... Ouch. Saw a single badge sell on ebay for $250 for one badge. Fingers crossed they show up somewhere somehow.

Thanks for the photos... super cool.

Same kind of luck. ; )

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't know there was a model where the center section would roll out?
All the ones I have seen, had fixed center sections?
Heres a picture of my Graco. It has a fixed center section with shelving underneath.

Kevins shop 2014 012.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice...I want one!!!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Nice solid cabinet. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you are looking for. Did want to let you know that the center workbenches were bolted to the side cabinets permanently, not on rollers. Hope you can locate a bench and get it together soon:)

a competent fabricator should have no problem fabricating a bench identical to the original if you have an original example to pattern it from. hardware such as hinges you'd have to use whatever you can come up with. but the benches are out there if you keep an eye out. if you have a graco, good luck finding the aluminum trim!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I need a cabinet like that.

Kurt

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P

OP Offline
Pump Doc..... HA HA HA That's the one. I never throw anything out so I'm hope'n I find them little suckers.

Ramblin Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved