Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#598145 Sat Feb 14 2015 05:54 PM
OP Offline
Hi fellow collectors. I am new to the forum and new to collecting. I have decided to start with the little 4oz Handy Oilers and was wondering if another collector would be able to provide some information on dating tins via the SPOUT. I am assuming that through the years manufacturers changed the spouts for various reasons and that tins could be dated or an era of manufacturer could be worked out via the spout on the tin. I have included 4 pics numbered 1 - 4 with different spouts to make replies easy.

Cheers
Marc

Oil Tin Spout - 1.jpg Oil Tin Spout - 2.jpg Oil Tin Spout - 3.jpg Oil Tin Spout - 4.jpg

My Handy Oiler Tin Collection
http://www.mrphoto.com.au/library/oil-tins
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The earliest spouts were made of lead, then plastic. Yours appear to date to the 60s.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you are starting with handy oilers, do you have a copy of the book, "A Drop Of Oil"? will answer a lot of your questions you will come upon.

OP Offline
Hi yes I have both the first and second editions but was very dissapointed as there was only a handful that were dated and thought the information on collecting very limited. Don't get me wrong the pictures were great and it is a valuable source for identification but certainly has very little in the way of dating tins and there was no information in either book on the various spouts. I have been using the company logos to date as best I can but that in itself can be hit and miss. However I shall continue... smile Thanks, Cheers, Marc

My Handy Oiler Tin Collection
http://www.mrphoto.com.au/library/oil-tins
H
H
hey barney. I have been collecting oilers for about 4 years & I believe that it started with glass bottles. 3 in 1 oil started in 1896 and then came out with its first "handy oil can" around 1915. also keep in mind that some forms of plastic are just as old if not older than lead tops. 3 in 1 oil produced an early 40s model of their oilers that are a hard clear plastic.
1. bottles
2. lead top
3. hard plastic
4. screw on cap plastic
5. bird beak top

SEEKING HANDY OILERS/HOUSEHOLD OIL.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The list above is a good generalization, but you can't accurately date oilers by the type of spout.
I've seen handy oilers with lead spouts that were newer than oilers from the same oil company that had plastic spouts. The were even made by the same can manufacturer. Although they were likely made in different locations.

Things that will help you narrow down the dates:
Can company manufacturing codes,
oil company logo,
product logo,
can company logo.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved