Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
To avoid the drama some people just reply privately.
I prefer to know who's opinion I'm relying on.

How to respond to this ^^^^^

You are on a site dedicated to this stuff, and members get one vote on a poll, thus a general consensus of votes gives a realistic range from those involved with this hobby. If you're looking for higher value (attempting to sell for more) or lower value (attempting to buy at a cut rate price) then don't pay any attention to the consensus and PM your expert.

Well there are 10,000 or so registered users on this forum. Some very knowledgeable, some know very little about this stuff.
Of those 10,000 people only 55 have voted on this poll. That's hardly a consensus of the members of this forum.

Of those 55, 22 (40%) voted $300. 40% is not a consensus.
I'm curious about the 22 voters. How much knowledge do they have? Have they been around the hobby 3 months or 30 years? Or better yet, how knowledgeable are the 6 that voted 500+? Maybe they are the ones that really know what they're talking about. Maybe not too.

Way to devalue people who are INVOLVED with the site. 10K registered really is a meaningless number as many people join but may only do so for one time and never return to the site.

Just like registered voters in real life the percentage who participate are the ones who set the course, those who don't participate in the vote don't count toward the outcome.

Like I said in my post, if you don't like the main consensus ignore it.

You do know the following about those who participate.... they found this forum, they joined this forum, they took the time to look at posts, and then the took the time to actually vote on this particular topic. It's not an on-the-street poll, so confidence would be high that answers would be more honest.

Devalue people? Get real. I never said anything that could remotely be considered that way.
There were more votes than there are regular participants on this forum.
You can trust the accuracy of an anonymous poll all you want. I don't have a problem with you doing that.
If I'm asking for advice, I prefer to know who's giving their opinion. Apparently you have a problem with that? So be it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I've received a lot of advice and opinions in my life and I've actually asked for some of it. I always consider the source when I think about the opinion I have been given. I value my doctor's opinion more in health matters than some guy on a TV show. I value an experienced collector's value estimate more than an inexperienced collector's.

I think the poll idea for values is very interesting. This one sure did involve more members in the process than the typical Value forum topic. Who knows how many of the votes came from experienced or newbie collectors? But it is one more piece of the puzzle to help make a decision.

I'm thinking every eBay auction is kind of like a value poll. Look at the bid history of a recent auction with a significant number of bidders. Some bid low and never bid again. Some dropped out half way. A few went all the way to the end and one bidder "voted" the highest. How many of the bidders who dropped out along the way actually thought the value of the item was their last bid? I certainly can say that I have often bid what I thought was a very high bid only to have one or two guys fly right past me and bid higher in the final seconds. Sometimes the next identical item never gets those high closing bids and ends at a lower final value.

I'll bet a bunch of the bidders probably still think that their last bid was the realistic value of the item. We just have to weigh all the info we can get to make up our own minds.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Can someone explain to me how an opinion poll can be wrong?

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a wise man once said, "thank you for your opinion, I'm sure it's worth exactly what I paid for it"

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
this has been a great thread thus far. but just to add a little closure to the original post. I went ahead and took this piece to the Peotone swap meet. I did not get it out in the parking lot... I waited until my wife and I were setting up inside.

I decided to price it at $475 and just see what happens... I even mentioned to Lastgas that my expectations was to get $350. my wife pulled it out of the tote that it was in, and the very first person to see it bought it for $425 and was VERY happy to be getting it. and he was not an OG member, so this thread had no weight on his decision.

No one will ever know a true 'value' of an item such as this, but it was an instant sell at $400+ in this scenario.

thanks to everyone for sharing good thoughts on this.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Well this part of the topic upsets me,cause had I known you were bringing it to Peotone,I'd of given you $500 + for it.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved