Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#603468 Sun Mar 15 2015 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A guy I met this weekend said these were molds for car tires or wheels back in the 1920`s.....what do you think?

Last edited by texacokie; Sun Mar 15 2015 04:16 PM.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I don't think so...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...I don't think so...

It seems pretty far fetched to me also.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Molds for car tires are metal not wood. Those are molds for making sand castings for machine parts.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check out this Youtube Video... It is from the Brunswick Tire Company the Film is from the 1930s. The Subject of the Film is how Brunswick Tire "builds a Tire"...

Check out the molds used at approx. the 7:00 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZISUfi-6Ik

At approx. the 8:07 mark, in this video they start working on forming tires on bucks... (video has no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfzO6QCxc68

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Mar 16 2015 12:53 PM. Reason: add video link

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Check out this Youtube Video... It is from the Brunswick Tire Company the Film is from the 1930s. The Subject of the Film is how Brunswick Tire "builds a Tire"...

Check out the molds used at approx. the 7:00 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZISUfi-6Ik

At approx. the 8:07 mark, in this video they start working on forming tires on bucks... (video has no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfzO6QCxc68

Those molds are kind of similar but they I believe metal, but it seems the process uses some of these features.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, they are metal...

Thought I would share the videos for those who were not familiar with the Vulcanization process...

The pressures and temps would destroy wooden molds, within minutes....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was trying to imagine it as a sand mold, but I cannot fathom what the mold would have made.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Very cool videos Bob, Thanks

S
S
Whatever those are, they are very cool. I hope you really do find out WHAT they are

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Having worked in recap shops I can honestly say wood would not do as curing molds for tires. The temperature and pressure such molds are under would lead to quick failure of wooden pieces like shown in the pictures above. On top of that wood is a poor conductor of heat which is necessary to vulcanize rubber.

What your molds made is always a question when old wood positives are found. But definitely not tires. If you search google for old wood sand cast molds you'll see the myriad of orphan designs out there that we may never know what they made.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To me, the larger one looks like a false wheel for a older circus wagon???

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Those are patterns for castings. They used to paint the core area red to note where the core was. There would be a corebox that went with each pattern that would basically be the same shape as the red area. Without the drawings or coreboxes, it would be hard to tell what the areas where the black and red paint meet would look like.

Last edited by oilmanpat; Thu Mar 19 2015 05:47 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oilmanpat
Those are patterns for castings. They used to paint the core area red to note where the core was. There would be a corebox that went with each pattern that would basically be the same shape as the red area. Without the drawings or coreboxes, it would be hard to tell what the areas where the black and red paint meet would look like.

Thanks now I can pass this info on to him so he knows what he has....thanks!

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The two large ones are flywheel molds like what would be on a hit and miss engine. The small one looks like a pipe flange for a steam pipe.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved