Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, folks, Minnesota just made history. We finally hit the $2/gallon mark this past week (I know, I know...many of you have been paying $2 for many months, but this is a first for Minnesota).

Anyway, stations with the older computer wheels are having to set prices at the 1/2 gallon mark because they don't have a $2 price wheel (in other words, the price at the pump is set at $1.05 and 5/10---which, when doubled, equals the correct amount of $2.10). Then they post a sign on the pump stating "Price per 1/2 gallon" (and of course you have to then double the amount shown in the TOTAL area).

This all reminds me of 1981, when prices went over $1.00 for the first time, and they had to price at 1/2 gallon because nobody had a $1 wheel on the pumps!! My mother got stung badly once because she didn't realize that you had to double the final price.

Anyway, my question is this: What can stations without a $2 wheel do? Do they have to buy a whole new computer wheel set-up, or can they just install a $2 wheel? My old M&S80 only goes up to 49 cents...so if you want the price to advertise at beyond 49 cents, do you have to buy a whole new wheel system, or can someone simply add the 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and even the $1 and $2 wheels?

Sory if this question is confusing. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DL,
I haven't even seen a pump with price wheels in use for nearly 20 years! All that I've seen have a LED readout.
I think it was 1979 or 1980 when gas hit $1 a gallon here.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
True..the only time I have seen them currently in use is in my dream I have...... I am seeing the USA in my Chevrolet and going across country on rt.66 with my very pretty gal who still looks at me adoringly and we stop at a Service Station to fill the tank of the ole 53 210 wagon for under 5 bucks and my gal jumps out to get me an ice cold coca cola in a bottle while the friendly service attendant cleans my windshield and checks my oil while the familiar dings insures me that my trusty hunk of American steels thirst is being quenched. Then I wake up...Bummer..I guess thats why i love these pumps so much...so I kind of can dream while being awake...LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 05-28-2004).]

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELL ON THE OTHER HAND AND CLOSELY RELATED TO THIS SUBJECT....I HAVE A LATE 40'S ERIE 748 STYLE PUMP WITH THE DOLLAR $ FACE PLATES. I BELIEVE THIS PUMP WAS IN USE UNTIL 1987 BUT IF ERIE MERGED WITH A.O.SMITH HOW WOULD THERE BE A METER PLUS FACE PLATES (WITH THE ERIE NAME) BE AVAILABLE IN THE 1980'S. HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE FACE OF THE PUMP. TOTAL SALE HAS A WHEEL FOR
CENTS....ONE WHEEL AND TWO WHEELS FOR DOLLARS. THE PER GALLON HAS DOLLAR AND CENTS DECALS.....DECIMALS ETC. ANYBODY EVER SEE THIS ODDITY BEFORE?

AND CLOSE-UP....

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
drcoke@optonline.net

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, Doc. It looks like they got rid of the tenths (/10) wheel on your pump so they could go over $1.00....to make this work, they must have had to reconfigure the gears underneath. Very interesting.

Yes, most of the pumps in Minn. are now modern LED, so there is no problem with setting the price above $2.00....but there are still several wheel-computer pumps, and I don't know how they're going to fix the problem of no $2 wheel.

The Sinclair where I fill up (still full-service!) said their LED prices can go all the way up to $9.99, but it cannot go to $10.00. I told them that if gas ever reaches $10.00/gallon, I'm going to junk my car and walk, bike, hitchike, whatever!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We are a Veeder Root distributer and still sell mechanical computers today, though not many. The model 2002 only goes up to a price of $1.99. Then there was model 2002E, which I think goes to $5.99 There is a kit to allow the 2002 to go higher, but the kit costs more that the newest model computer available for the past 5 years or so, the VR10, which will allow a price of $9.99. Pretty scary....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DL,
Full service.......you must be in some kind of time warp! It's been at least ten years since there were any full service stations here. Most disappeared between '78 and '84. One Shell station hung on until about ten years ago. Its still operating as a station/c-store.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You still see a lot of them across Montana. And next year we are suposed to get TVs also! Got to go.....Indians to fight you know...............

D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yeah, we still have full-service in Minnesota. The Sinclair where I fill up each week really goes all out...he pumps the gas, checks the oil, and washes EVERY window on my car--and my headlamps/taillamps, too! All for $1.92/gallon as of this morning (believe it or not, prices actually went DOWN a few cents--I almost fainted)!

What's the deal in Illinois...is full-service illegal or something? You'd think that a full-serve station would generate more business; after all, nobody really wants to pump their own gasoline. I've never had to pump my own gas, and I started driving in the late 1980s.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Are you talking about the Sinclair station in Forest Lake MN?
Nels

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think there are two reasons we don't have full service. There are basically 4 jobbers controling the local market. Two of those have the majority of the business. We have very few stations for the population here. The station owners will do whatever they want because of the lack of competition. The other reason is Illinois is one of the worst states to run a business in. Everything from high workers comp rates, very high limits (and rates) for insurance, licensing fees and other overhead costs. Its just plain cheaper to not offer full service.

Les, That TV thing is way over rated. Just wait untill you get running water and flush toilets! LOL. Not thats a big deal.
Bob

D
DL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, Nels. No...this is the Sinclair in Bloomington (I've also used the Sinclair stations in Edina, Lakeville, and Burnsville). Excellent full-service at all!

Bob: everything always comes down to money, doesn't it??? What a shame. Visit us in Minn. sometime and fill up here...let the attendant do all the work for you.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Like DL I also live in MN and can verify that at least in the central part of this state full-service exists. Many of the towns here are rural and one way for the "little" guy to compete is to offer full-service. Of course you still pay more for this, but I know of two stations in surrounding towns that do this for no addition charge. Usually full-service isn't advertised on the price signage, only as an island sign identified as full-service and you must know to look at the pump to check the price/gal. I think in some of these smaller towns (3500 pop or less) it is still common to the people who live there, and possibly a well kept secret from you city dwellers. My wife will use full-service if I'm not on the ball and let her car get towards E. Oh!, and get this. Allot of these stations still offer their long term or regular customers open credit monthly billing - as in hand written charges using the 3 paper receipts with the carbon paper. Seems odd to me that the owner of a station with computerized pumps that take credit cards and such at the pump would still offer hand written charges and full-service. It wont last forever so enjoy it while it lasts.

(PS/FYI: My wife just bought over $100 bucks in groceries at a grocery chain store that has an included fuel convenience store, and received a coupon for 20cents off per gallon up to 15 gallons. ($3.00 discount). How does an independent compete against that?)

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved